Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Will be very interesting to see if Jennings will be back with the 7s. They’re due to play again in January but the back three stocks are at an all time low. I’d personally love to see a back three of Smith / Porch Jennings and Bolton.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Three game ban for Ralston, disciplinary panel determined it should have been a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I don't disagree with that. But what @sydthebeat is saying is correct. Players are flooding into the rucks these days, mainly and correctly from the back of the ruck and wrapping but always with the head position lower than the body position so obviously by nature of gravity they will go to ground. Now this normally doesn't cause an issue because the wrap normally means players don't get injured.

But when you come in from the side, which is first of all a penalty, you really don't get the opportunity to fully wrap, and as such damage can be done. And it needs to be highlighted that such a tackle in rugby will exact a higher penalty

Then on the other side of things we see Oli Jager properly tackled by two players and simply the wind knocked out of him. Yes it looked much more dramatic but that was it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That was absolutely not it. He was clearly out cold, albeit you are correct he was tackled properly by two players. You don't need direct head contact for brain injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

That Hodnett clearout happens probably 5-10 times a game at least. I’d be very surprised if i picked a random game and i couldn’t find several examples. So, its kind of hard to discuss it honestly unless its a discussion of how you should get rid of the jackal and make it a contest or whatever.

The Ralston one is more rare and is definitely dangerous play.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

That's not true- Hodnet dives downward onto Hansens shoulder from the side at the ruck, the fact that Hodnet is driving down rather than through is both illegal and dangerous and leads to a dislocation of the shoulder. If that happened 5-10 a game we'd see numerous dislocations. Saying that it's not as bad as the Ralston one, or that he does make an attempt to wrap after the initial contact is neither here nor there; it was a reckless dangerous clearout that led to a substantial injury to the player and should have led to a citing like Ralstons did.

Also saying you can't have one conversation without the other is disingenuous; the ruck being an area of concerns for injury and that specific ruck causing an injury due to the illegal actions of a player that should have been cited are two discussions that can be had independently.

I mean you described it pretty exactly and i still contend it happens 5-10 times a game. Guys come in from the side to some degree all the time and they drive down all the time. The actual ‘norm’ is to be pretty reckless at the breakdown.

Given the injury squeeze, it's a chance to make a virtue of necessity and introduce some of the academy players to senior rugby. Chay Mulklins and Josh O'Connor are the two who spring immediately to mind. If Caolin can't travel to Lyon it would be also time to see Matthew Devine off the bench. I'd welcome seeing any of the three against Lyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

I disagree; do we frequently see players clear out with some downward force? Yes. Do we see a lot of driving straight down onto an opponents exposed shoulder? Thankfully not, but when we do see it you would hope its punished. Which it wasn't here.

• Advertisement

Ok, i will watch the leinster/ulster game again and count how many times guys cleared out from the side downwards. I’d like to watch it again anyway.

I also don’t understand the exposed shoulder thing, where else but the shoulder in that situation? Every player on the field would do the same thing. Part of jackaling is that you will probably get hit like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I’d imagine Mullins will be with the 7s. Out of the younger lads I think Jennings, O’Connor, Matty Devine and Hugh Gavin could be next up. Gavin might be a bit younger but he’s versatile, experienced with Sextons attack a big unit.

My bad on Gavin, I had thought of him mostly as a centre but I see he's also played on the wing. And yes, you're right, they should announce the 7s squad for the next tournament shortly and one would expect Mullins to be in. Anyway, i just want to see some of the lads get minutes, we're being slow in that regard this season, don't understand the delay with Devine at all. Forde made his debut in his first season out of U20. Mol an óige agus tiocfaidh sí.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

Jennings seems to not belong to Ireland 7's squads. So he may be available for champion's matches. At squad update by Connacht, there is no comment about Thornebury. If possible I hope to watch. And is McNulty ok? I think his speed is the first class.

Will not Connacht make a motion of formal complaint about Hodnett problem? (Even though such an action, Hansen could not come back.) How irish people (rugby fans) think about him. I know that there is no his stand-in (having near equivalent ability) in Ireland. Some fans seem to be delighted his misfortune because that other player will get a chance at 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I haven't seen anyone be happy that Hansen is out (not that it doesn't exist, but i haven't come across anyone) I just think people are now speculating about who we should pick next.

Also personally I don't expect us to win this 6N. There's a few injuries and a few people off form since the world cup. I'm sure the players and the IRFU have a different attitude, but I'd be happy enough with something like a 3rd place finish as long as the team we get value out of the tournament in terms of experience for other players and developing our game plan.

I'm not sure if there is a formal complaint process that Connacht can make about Hansen anymore. It might have to be picked up by the citing commissioner.

Don't think there's any issue with Thornbury. He played the full 80 against Ulster (and 47' just six days before against Saracens) and was then rotated out for the Leinster game. McNulty was playing AIL for Garryowen before Christmas but hasn't been selected for Connacht since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

For all the talk of a lack of squad depth we have a lot of lads on contracts especially in the back 3 who we don't seem to be a purpose for.

We've had to use different combinations in the back 3 but there seems to be no belief that McNulty can do a job. McNamara and Smith both look like we just took a punt in the hope they might be good. Smith at least has got some gametime. Jennings looked good in his brief cameos last season but he's not getting a look in either. Bolton has come in and done well in recent weeks.

Of course you need a squad but the season is now 22-26 games long compared to the old seasons of 30+ games. Considering all the absences we've had, these players should have got a look in if they were ever going to but especially with all the 6-2 splits we are using and doubling Carty/Hanrahan etc as options at 15 if needed it leaves very limited opportunities for these lads which would make me question the purpose of some of these signings / re-signings.

Connacht v Lyon

15. JJ Hanrahan (10)

14. Andrew Smith (5)

13. Tom Farrell (105)

12. Tom Daly (79)

11. Shayne Bolton (8)

10. Jack Carty (202) (C)

9. Michael McDonald (3)

1. Peter Dooley (27)

2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (32)

3. Jack Aungier (59)

4. Darragh Murray (18)

5. Joe Joyce (9)

6. Cian Prendergast (57)

7. Jarrad Butler (120)

8. Sean Jansen (3)

16. Tadgh McElroy (8)

17. Denis Buckley (238)

18. Dominic Robertson-McCoy (83)

19. Oisín Dowling (51)

20. Conor Oliver (73)

21. Matthew Devine *

22. David Hawkshaw (20)

23. Shane Jennings (6)

Commenting on the team selection and what Borders No2 said at the same time about rotation. So weather conditions for the game are to be dry, no breeze and cold (in and about zero degrees). So the reason I mention the weather is because I think Butler does much better in wetter conditions because he is a smaller unit and as such harder to grab onto. So these conditions are unlikely to see him prosper.

In the second row I see Joyce and Dowling being our two most effective lineout operators and indeed line breakers. So why don't they start together.

Then you have the likes of Dave Heff who was perfectly good against Munster only to be fully dropped for the Lyon game. Never mind John Porch. He must be wondering what he is doing wrong and what he needs to do right.

Overall there is an incredible inconsistency in team selection from one game to the next. As said by Borders the season isn't as long as it used to be so performances by players considering the size of the squad are crucial and equally these performances must be awarded appropriately. This is not happening and must be hugely frustrating for the players and hence the team spirit

Anyway role on the game tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing the Lyon stadium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

LOs of Lyon are both very heavy. Can Connacht endure their weight especially at the defending maul. I think that Butler will not be workable at that field. Connacht may aim 4 tries than a win the game. Anyway I expect to watch Devine' debut game.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 onefinemorning

Does anyone know where todays match can be watched on TV.

It doesn't seem to be on in the usual places RTE, Premier sport or even TG4?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rtyped

TNT sports have it ( sky now)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Strand1970

Serious pace from Jensen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Outrageous finish from Jansen, didn't know he had that sort of pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Sacre bleu what a try for Connacht...ahh flip, lucky try for Lyon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Anyone know who the sub hooker is? Commentary hasn't copped that Tierney-Martin isn't playing.

It’s McElroy playing - not sure who’s on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Hanging on here. Miles out of our depth again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 onefinemorning

Advertisement