Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think this massively unfairly categorises Biden. With the IRA, the attempts to cancel student debt, literally joining a picket line with workers, job growth and wage growth in the lowest quartile he has actually been pretty much the perfect old school labour democratic president.

However, this image of him persists for whatever reason and he doesn't seem capable of shaking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭banie01

As I mentioned yesterday, Trump's lawyer was dismantled in his attempt to link criminal liability with a need for successful impeachment. He was eviscerated by the judges.

What surely must jump out to the court in their assessment of what Trump's position and entitlement to absolute immunity?

Are his incoherent legal strategies. Regarding POTUS not being an "Officer" of the US? Well he attempted to get Bill Barr to forestall and defend the E Jean Carrol lawsuit on the basis that POTUS is an officer of the state.

On the necessity for impeachment before Criminal prosecution? Well many GOP Senator's put in record that criminal court was the place to seek justice, rather than the senate vote. Indeed at his impeachment trial, Trump's team specifically argued that the criminal courts were the appropriate venue and not impeachment.

A further thing I'd note that undercuts Trump's absolute immunity claim? Is Nixon's resignation and pardon. Were a President entitled to absolute immunity, then surely no pardon was needed🤔

A POTUS known to have commited criminal acts and at legal jeopardy for it, arranged a deal to resign and be pardoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,409 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Demented.

Absolutely and utterly demented.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Noteworthy too how the Chyron says "Pentagon asset", even though they're talking about the White House & Biden. So they obviously thought this lunacy wouldn't stir enough emotions with Biden alone - oh, but if Swift's a Pentagon asset? That's even deeper state again.

The biggest thing the GOP - and its various offshoots - fear are voters, because time and again the population support key items GOP oppose than they're comfortable with. They don't know how to appeal to ordinary voters anymore, so all they can do is stir up the base, suppress minorities and the easily put-off (ie, young people) from voting, and gerrymander the shít out of districts.

When the turnout is high, the GOP loses; when it's low they win out. So this video isn't the least bit surprising. Oh my god a popular artists is telling people to get out and vote? How dreadful.

🚨new birther conspiracy🚨

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The place has gone utterly deranged. The fanta fascist is now openly supporting constitutional articles when it suits him and brushing them aside when they don't and his fanbase just lap it up.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As for who the "legal scholar" is, his Twitter bio contains the line "Author of President Trump's favorite Substack". So you know he's an expert on what he talks about.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,549 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Always knew there was more to that Taylor Swift so no surprise now to fine out thanks to Fox news that she is a CIA psyops agent

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Obama, Harris and Haley all get the same treatment..

What is that all these Natural born citizens have in common I wonder that would make Trump call their eligibility into question?????

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Stanley 1

Donald, Junior and Eric are piling on the pressure to accumulate more and more funds and they seem to have no supervision in doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Another non-white candidate that trump says isn't eligible to become president, but remember folks, he isn't a racist. No siree Bob

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Money is the only thing that motivates them - well , aside from petty revenge on anyone they feel has wronged them somehow.

If they can make money from it they will do it , regardless of whether it's legally or morally acceptable.

HuffPost reporting that Trump plans to give his own closing argument in the NY Fraud trial on Thursday.

They better get the handcuffs ready. It's not even a criminal trial, but I'm sure he'll commit some crime while speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Those things you mention are all good, and Biden deserves credit for positive steps he has taken, but it's not enough. The radical negativity of Trumpism needs to be cancelled out with something that is radically positive, and Biden is too old and too invested in the old ways of doing things to really make this happen, but he can at least help set the stage.

Yes, and while it would seem hypocritical, it's not. I mean it is, but their true principle has become so clear that there's no point in listening to their words and becoming exasperated by them. The principle is Trump. That is crystal clear. Everything is just a vehicle around that, and if it's a hindrance, then it's bad. All that can be done is to adhere to the laws, and if they don't like that enough, let it be them who fire the first shot.

Obama's medicare bill was radical, and you still have republicans who avail of it, objecting to it.

America doesn't do radical.. or at least, not radical in a positive way

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I agree he is too old, but he has also been incredibly effective because everyone else in congress is old too..

He has been much better at producing actual meaningful legislation and impacts than Obama was. The president is limited in power and I just don't believe a truly radical one would actually accomplish that much beyond a lot of executive orders that get overturned when the next guy comes in.

The hypocrisy of the Trump's GOP exposed gloriously

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I really hope that trumps lawyer in the immunity case got paid in advance.

Pretty sure the only lawyers left who are willing to argue on Trump's behalf are those for whom the only payment needed is to stand near to the Great Orange One himself and bask in his glow.

Is he even legally allowed to do that?

Surely his lawyers have to do that?

Also - So he's not going to take time to be with his grieving wife following the death of her mother yesterday?

More important to do something his lawyers are (allegedly) paid for.

What a guy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Melania’s mother actually died? Damn, so not only did Trump prefer to go a crap New Years party than support his wife attending an ill mother, he actually preferred that party than support his wife while dealing with a dying mother.

Of course, they are only technically married and Trump likely didn’t marry any of his trophy wives for the sake of their emotional range, or frankly much else beyond their apperance.

I think Trump would likely get away with a divorce and running single (the evangelicals would give him a free pass regardless) but perhaps he hasn’t the cash she’d likely win from him in such a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Well this comment aged as well as Melania's mother

To counter the faux outrage i say this,

'I Really Don't Care, Do u?'

I'd say his lawyers still might do part of it, but yes they asked the judge for permission and the judge approved it (likely with some caveats).

He knows he's goosed regardless, so he's likely just going to vent, splutter and grandstand.

Never mind. Permission rescinded after Trump and his lawyers objected to the judge's caveat that Trump only stick to "relevant matters".

But he said Trump would have to limit his remarks to the boundaries that cover attorneys’ closing arguments: “commentary on the relevant, material facts that are in evidence, and application of the relevant law to those facts.”

He would not be allowed to introduce new evidence, “comment on irrelevant matters” or “deliver a campaign speech” — or impugn the judge, his staff, the attorney general, her lawyers or the court system, the judge wrote.

Trump attorney Christopher Kise responded that those limitations were unfair and said Trump could not agree to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭nachouser

Sure, his ex is currently fertilising his golf course. Says it all, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Me neither.

And even if, it would be "deep fake" according to the two of them.

Absolute Man-Child.

Takes his toys and storms off when he's not allowed to use the court room as a free campaign event.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Oh please don't use the word "deep" in relation to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭tinytobe

• Advertisement

It's not even about stalling. It's about pushing some lies central to his whole platform. Trump doesn't see court cases against him. He sees ratings. He sees a chance to spread flagrant propaganda. It's worth noting that Trump and his team were loving the news coverage about getting booked into the police station as his motorcade was being tracked OJ Simpson style. The thing that would hurt Trump the most would be for the news networks to turn him off. That's what he could not handle. But it doesn't matter whether it's a station who's sympathetic to Trump or not, they're all addicted to the ratings he brings in.

They say that Trump doesn't know what he's doing. I would say that's true depending on what you expect of the role he's in, but that's not the game he's playing. Controversy and outrage is the whole point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement