Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i dont really see this as an indicator to the league ,in the same fixture last year cork hammered us in quilty , the same couldn't be said for what happened 4 months later when it mattered , this game is more to blow away the cobwebs after the christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

Shane Neville playing with Cratloe on bench for Tipperary footballers tonight. Killian Roche(Cooraclare) in goal for Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jamesconlan85

Some conditions in Clarecastle to play football credit to both teams. One thing of note I take away is how physically small Clare were in the middle 8 sector. Any kickout that went long Cork cleaned out plus Clare got destroyed on breaking ball. Sligo have some big physical men around the middle 8. Kickouts and primary possession would be the main concern I take away from the Cork match. Do Clare have a goalkeeping coach within the setup to focus on kickouts and boxing out oppossing midfielders like in basketball from getting a running jump and making it a scrap on the ground for breaks. Clare need a good bit of work on this before Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Treble double

Ya agree with you about physicality in the middle third, but we were spoilt for ten years with Brennan and O'Connor they were one of the best combinations in the country. When Darragh Bohannan is fit he will improve things and hopefully himself and Brian Mac will develop into a strong partnership. I was more concerned about our lack of any sort of cutting edge up front, we survived on winning scorable frees untill Cork blew us away in the final quarter. Its going to be a tough transition but best of luck to everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭KIB4Life

Ciarán Russell and Darren O’Neill have retired as well. Russell has been another brilliant player for Clare over the last few years. He’s put in some outstanding performances for Clare over the last few years. O’Neill’s been a much maligned player but has been fairly solid for Clare since 2021 and as well as for Eire Og.

Yeah definitely gonna be tough for Clare this year but still think we should be able to consolidate in Division 3 and hopefully work from there. In fairness if the likes Dublin and Kerry lost about 11 players they would struggle let alone Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Probably will get relegated this year to Division 4. There's no scoring power in the team right now. Alls not lost ..I think we could see some bright shoots come summer.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Brendy Rouine injury is a big blow he would have been an instant starter in our half forward line and would carry a scorer threat. Very disappointed to see Cillian McGrory Corofin not involved this year. Cillian is another one who would have had the ability to kick scores from half forward line. Ideally Brendy, Emmett and McGrory on paper has the making of an outstanding half forward line. All big men, all good in the air, and all can kick scores from distance. I personally would move Dermot Coughlan into the inside line and get him closer to goal. Dermot more suited to playing inside at intercounty level while half forward role suits him at club. Our forward line will be built around Emmett he is our marque forward now going forward hands down no question but teams will identity Emmett aswell as the danger

we are masters for doom and gloom in this county , a virtual fiver says we consolidate comfortably in division3 , and with keelan and cleary back next year along with a few up and comers from the u20s and we will be fine , no world beaters but top 16 in both league and championship by 2025

• Advertisement

the problem with dermot coughlin inside is he constantly looks to offload a pass , he's a top quality ball carrier but i dont think he's that good in front of goal , i know he's not a racehorse but his pedigree has him down as attacking wing back if daddy , and uncle enda are anything to go on , he's no cousin eoin

the monaghan game in clonas last year showed how dangerous Emmett can be in front of goal ,he nearly won us the game that day on his own , but for conor McCarthy's brilliance in injury time

Dermot has lots of ability but I think he is prone to carry the ball too much at times and takes it into a bit too much at times.

Is Joe McGann on the panel this year, was there before but I thought last year he was outstanding in the club has serious eye for goal and pace.

You can only beat whats in front of you. Waterford beyond abymsal today but good to see Aaron Griffin taking up the mantle as the go too guy. Kicked numerous scores throughout and setup 1st goal. James Curran also impressed with a lively cameo afterbeing introduced at half time kicked a number of scores could be a option for wing forward. Hopefully win will give them confidence. Doubt Clare will see Waterford again this year. It be hard to see Waterford winning a game in Div 4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Squad for the Munster Hurling League, playing Limerick tomorrow night in Clarecastle.

Good to see the likes of Conneally, D.Lohan, Cian Galvin and O'Meara getting a chance. Dylan McMahon from Clonlara also.

1. Éamonn Foudy (Inagh-Kilnamona)

2. John Conneally (Clooney-Quin)

3. Conor Leen (Corofin)

4. Paul Flanagan (Ballyea)

5. Darragh Lohan (Wolfe Tones)

6. Conn Smyth (Feakle)

7. Cian Galvin (Clarecastle)

8. Davie Conroy (St Joseph’s Doora/Barefield)

9. Diarmuid Ryan (Cratloe)

10. Colm O’Meara (Clonlara)

11. David Reidy (Éire Óg)

12. Shane Meehan (Banner)

13. Keith Smyth (Killanena)

14. Mark Rodgers (Scariff)

15. Diarmuid Cahill (Corofin)

16. Cian Broderick (Clarecastle)

17. David Tuohy (Clarecastle)

18. Dylan McMahon (Clonlara)

19. Gearoid Sheedy (Ogonnelloe)

20. Jack Kirwan (Parteen-Meelick)

21. Keelan Hartigan (Scariff)

22. Oran Cahill (Éire Óg)

23. Paddy Donnellan (Broadford)

24. Peter Duggan (Clooney-Quin)

25. Ross Hayes (Crusheen)

26. Steven Conway (Feakle)

Post edited by keeponhurling on

Good to see new faces. We are lucky at the moment, there's a good deal of talent coming through. I suppose the co cern with the forwards is size and power. Like Meehan and Reidy in the same line...abit undersized.

I would love to see Keith Smyth kick on and Rodgers continue his good form. Forwards aren't the issue for Clare though..its the midfield and backs. Again Smyth and Leem are the 2 id like to see step up. It's the centre of the defence that I see as the issue

Of course if Lohan hasn't learned from his blunders it's all moot.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

You say forwards are not the issue, but surely the age profile is an issue if you have TK, SOD, Duggan, Ian Galvin, Reidy etc. It would be no great surprise if any or all of those retired at the end of this season.

We definitely need the likes of Meehan, Smyth, Crotty and co. to make the step up.

For me Duggan isn't a starter in 2024 . Ian Galvin shouldnt be on the panel. He doesn't deliver anymore. Duggan is a good sub to have. It's O Donnells last year as far as I know so it's a huge year for Clare. I take your point about the age profile. Its not a hugely old team but they haven't delivered silverware and that needs to be acknowledged. The midfield needs tinkering aswell. I like Ryan Taylor but he wasn't at much last year. I hope he regains his form.

Can we win an All Ireland with John Conlon centre back and Cleary full back...? Maybe we can but we can't win one if Lohan pulls crazy stunts like Nolan in the Munster final. We need to talk about Lohan. He's been given so much leeway because as a county we were just glad Davy isn't around.. Im still glad about that by the way but we've left Lohan off with blue Murder.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Didn’t Ryan Taylor tear his acl in the Kilkenny game last year, so probably won’t be back until the Munster Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Ian Galvin is only turning 28 this year and the rest 30/31, there all young enough to keep going if they want to.

Look I'm not saying they're all past it or anything, they're still among our best players.

We just need to be conscious that at some point - whether that be in 1 year or in 3 years - many of them may go at the same time.

Hence we need to getting Meehan, Smyth, Crotty and the likes plenty of opportunities now.

• Advertisement

Lads compare Ian Galvin with a Seamus Flanagan or Gillane or a Tom Morrissey. On any given day when needed this guys can shoot 5 or 6 from play. Has Ian Galvin ever scored more than 2 points or a single goal on a given day. He's got talent to burn but he's no 70min man and he shouldn't even be on the panel. He's failed time and time again. The likes of Meehan or Reidy..both fine fine players..bags of everything except size. Kyle Hayes or Byrnes would just dominate them ..Reidy might be a goer at centre forward in a very specific role.. And meehan in the corner . Meehan hasn't the physique to play any other position

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

O'Neill looks like he's about to take the young lad out for a few pucks and he's not happy about it.

limerick 2-21 Clare 1-19

Good work out tonight , but clearly limerick are just that bit further down the road with the development of their younger players then we are, also have a good few young lads well over 6 ft that can move at pace and hurl , even though it was a challenge game , its still worrying to see us play out from the back as much as we do under pressure , its a crazy tactic that has backfired on us too much in the past , the other frustrations are the amount of wides we shoot from the middle 3rd of the field and the fact that we are nowhere near finding out who our best free taker is ,

rodgers in the first half was about 65/35 on frees which by his own standards is not great , conroy and smythe actually look better options from placed balls but its hard to see any of them two start come championship , my hope for the year ahead is that lohan isn't too stubborn to ignore these problems but i have my doubts

cathal o'neill , shane o'brien , mike Houlihan and dan morrissey limericks best , i taught paddy donlon did well after coming on , rodgers held the fort in th first half , reidy and meehan were lively but plenty of work ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I dunno why but I just get a feeling things are fizzling out for Lohan at this stage. As been mentioned by a few here now, I think he has to win Munster or AI or it’s time for change for Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Figerty

Would hope not. No need to play the older players let them focus on the bigger days. Lohan needs to be seen to give the fringe players a shot at making an impression. The core players are still strong.

He has freshened up the backroom team with Brendan Bugler and Tommy Corbett. In particular I think bugler can add a lot.

Together with a few new players coming in, hopefully the team will be raring to go again come April.

Yeah there's plenty of positives with the amount of talent that's there. But we've no Paul Kinnerk who seems to be a step ahead all the time. Kiely is brilliant aswell. And we don't seem to be producing big guys like Limerick. Last nights game was over with 15 mins to go..

Look iv no doubt we ll put it up to Limerick any day ..thats the rivalry, that's the Derby ...thats tradition. But no good beating Limerick in the round robin and they never seeing us again as they bag another All Ireland . We have to be able to beat the likes of a mediocre Tipperary in Tipp...a Kilkenny in Croke Park because Limerick sure as hell will beat them when push comes to shove.

Its the failure on the sideline to adjust mid game that will rear its ugly head again I worry.. its the tragedy of Nolan in last years Munster final. Its the deficit in gameplan and coaching.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Why did Corbett not stay involved with Clooney, given the players they have coming through the next few years should be fairly bright for them

Generally I am expecting a similar year to last year, I think we will get out of Munster not sure if we will win anything though, I am afraid we will just repeat our mistakes again, i hope I am wrong, , its the same thing beaten us all the time, defensive errors playing out from the back , excessive wides from too far out the field and no main free taker

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Who is the Clare player in this photo. I should know.

Advertisement