Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

It's not panic stations yet- but you're right, of the new lads on the panel barring O'Connell and a brief cameo from Shehu no one has stood out.

The keeper situation is as any Cavan fan would have predicted. We never should be in a situation that we have three keepers with 2 appearances between them gearing up for a crack at Division two. O Rourke and Brady should have been getting gradual game time over the last 2/3 years. We all knew this would come back to haunt us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Did we all know? You may remember better than me but there was definitely a poster argued it at the time with me when I mentioned it as a negative against Graham. All of those Division 4 & 3 games and nobody else even given a minute in goals. Ridiculous.

As another person said above, it may only be McKenna Cup but that is very hard to take. 2 points up going into injury time and we lose by 3. A 5 point turnaround. How is that even possible?

I wondered where Ryan Donohoe was tonight but a friend from another county told me he watched Sigerson last night and he did very well for DCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

It's difficult to know where we are at,

There hasn't been many complete newcomers whom have gotten extended game time over the two games..

As the two previous posters said James Galligan and Brian O Connell are the only two non regular starters from last year whom have probably played their way into starting against Kildare.

The goalkeeping position is a mess

Full back is solid with Killian Clarke in there,but midfield is weakened without him,

I'm not sure what formation or combination we need in the half back line to tighten it up,but something needs to be altered... You could land a 747 through there and kill noone.

Midfield will surely be 2 of 3 of James Galligan/ James Smith/ Killian Clarke, after the 2nd half debacle here.

On a more positive note, the forward play this evening bar the missed goal chances was a huge step forward from last week. I'd be confident, we can put up some decent scores in division two. I just can't see us stopping some of the teams shooting the lights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I always said it on here. Ray Galligan playing every game in the McKenna Cup under Graham was utterly ridiculous and we are reaping that now and that's no reflection on young Brady who in some ways did ok with saves the last day against Derry He just lacks the physical size at the moment to dominate the box in Div2.

I may be an outlier on here, but i actually talk to real people at games and I've never met a Cavan fan who didn't think we should have given Brady or O'Rourke from Ballyhaise a run out before this year

• Advertisement

Midfield has been a mess for a while. Clarke is one of our most under-rated players. He was our best midfielder last year and when he went into the fullback line against Armagh he was our best defender that day too. We need him at the back and midfield..

I am not convinced with Faulkner in the middle but maybe that will take time.

I actually think we regressed as team defensively with McMennamin's involvement. Early days for this management team but as was noted today we really struggled with some of Down's running. I know Mcveety will improve things there but it's less about individuals and how we are set up.

Are you saying posters on here don’t talk to “real people at games”? Bit of a side swipe at everyone on here.

Re the midfield conundrum, Clarke is not needed at midfield IMO. The two best midfielders in the county at club level are Ryan Donohoe & James Smith. Here’s a novel idea - how about we play them in that position for the county team? Or at least one of them.

I said it after the Derry game. The time for Faulkner to play midfield for Cavan has passed.

I was actually happy to see us approach the game a little different, to push players up the field and to mix it up a bit with some running and some long balls. For 3/4 of the game we certainly made Downs defence look very ordinary If you are going to try something try it in the McKenna cup. What I am concern about mostly is the quality of the new lads mostly and more generally the mental strength of the team.

I also think a few lads ran out of steam last night. Faulkner had done quite well for 3/4 of the game but he visibly tired and he wasnt in it at all after he gave away that really poor turnover for their 1st goal. I think he could play midfield but only with a strong athletic player in there beside him.

Anyone know what the story is with Dara McVetty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

He may put himself back in goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Attacking play was good, showed good intent. Oisin Brady was sharp, took his scores well. I liked the long ball strategy.

Defensively we were terrible and if it wasn't for dreadful shooting from Down we would have been beaten earlier.

Faulkner added to his growing blooper real before the second goal. Twice Oisin Kiernan was left flat footed by a simple step from a Down player.

The coaching of the tackle and the work rate and plan for bottling men up and making it difficult for the opposition inside our 45 needs a huge amount of work. This problem is getting worse with time.

Midfield we got wiped when the game was in the melting pot. It was a harsh welcome to county football for Ryan Brady.

Goalkeeper looks like a problem, I'd have Liam Brady ahead of Fergal O'Rourke but think Gary O'Rourke is the best suited for county football.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cavan should have had at least 2/3 more goals. They seem to panic when in great positions, taking points when goals were very much on. A lot of work needed before the League starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭etuzyuk

McKenna Cup is only ever a run out so wouldn't read too much into it. Would echo some of the worries about GK position though. Thought Oisin Brady looked really good upfront so hopefully we can build on that.

Extra game would have been nice though to get a better look at more new faces. Interesting to see who's culled and who's on the league squads over next couple of weeks. Looks to be plenty of work needed on overall fitness too. We're more than capable of staying up, lots of winnable games but think we're in for a few harsh lessons too from some of the bigger guns. Hopefully first 3 games not too rough and we end up going ultra conservative in both play and team selection.

Best of luck to Arva tomorrow. It'll be tough but hopefully they can do it.

I’ve raised previously about too many clubs in Cavan and this is an issue from it I believe. A lot of the best players in underage teams are forced to play in areas like midfield because they are carrying teams. That means they miss out on the opportunity to hone the skills needed close to goals.

That’s why you’ll often see your best county forward from a smaller club coming from a rare underage team that had 3 or 4 decent players rather than 1 or 2.

Any club that can’t field underage teams at various ages should just be amalgamating at all levels including their adult teams. It’s pointless trying to follow the same structure as 100 years ago and ignoring changing trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Clubs don't exist to make good players for the county team.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Arva game is on TG 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

Listowel the better team & fitter too.

Different ball game when you get to HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

The filth from this Kerry shower is unreal, about time this referee started doing something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Arva were by far the fitter and better team, the Arva forwards did everything they could to throw the game away in the second half. Their was only one team trying to play football the whole game, Listowels only tactic was to pull drag and foul at every opportunity, it would have been a travesty if they has stole it at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Fair play to Arva. A great second half display. I had doubts in the first half about their fitness levels, but they blew Listowel away in the second half for fitness. Two midfielders were outstanding.

Great to see a team other than a Kerry team taking home the cup. Especially an Ulster team.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well done Arva. Thoroughly deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Super win for Arva, Superb performance in the 2nd half. They were by far the better team

The Holla had a great game as had Hoffman

Well deserved win for them

Finbar Reillys stock as a manager has risen too

Enjoy the celebrations Arva

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mogue77

What??

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mogue77

Congratulations arva on a fantastic win today, Brilliant.

Congratulations Arva, fully deserved win on the day (although they got 2 calls with black card and disallowed goal). Holla and Hoffman were outstanding with many other hero's on the day. There will be some party in Arva and rumour has it Brady's will have huge discounted on Volkswagen this week, and free batch bread from cullys.

Fantastic win for Arva. They were deserved winners and I thought the Kerry team hit them hard, as would be expected. Ciaran Brady was a colossus and I see him and Noack Hoffman getting plenty of praise but I thought number 3 Morris was also superb.

Huge celebrations down there tonight but hopefully Brady is back to county training soon because we need him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

arva very impressive today , that was a fantastic listowel team that they beat , is that the first team to win an all ireland club from cavan , either way well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

According to Wikipedia Drumgoon won the Junior in 2001-02, the first year the competition was held. The final was played in Cremartin in Monaghan.

Advertisement