Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Scar001

RTE news website states that according to Minister of Justice, for 2023, 76% of asylum applicants up to September last year did not register their application at an airport or port. But did so at the International Protection Office.

6821 Vs 2056

Assuming you cannot just walk thru an airport or port does that mean that 6821 applicants came thru the North or a non controlled port??

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

The only exceptional circumstances are the war in Ukraine. The fraudulent third world asylum seekers from countries like Algeria, Albania and Georgia are economic migrants taking advantage of that and naive people like you to abuse the asylum system as a way to by-pass the legal work visa system and obtain free accommodation in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

They may also have arrived by plane as a tourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

It means a huge number come in pretending to be tourists. That way they can't be detained at the airport or port. And the NGO's advise them to do this by the way. Another cohort would come in from the UK, via the North. So we're accepting people who are "fleeing" the UK.

In a way that means 76% are immediately committing fraud against the Irish State and people by pretending to be something they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Scar001

My understanding is that if you're coming from Georgia, Algeria, Somalia etc then you need a visa to enter as a tourist??

Appears to me we haven't a clue how the majority are entering the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Can't believe the people In government are this stupid. Must be massive money passing hands because what's happening is a total joke. Thank god people all over the country are starting to wake up to what is really happening. Rte is more or less government owned now so anything but towing the government line won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ukrainian people are coming under non stop attack from the Irish far right on social media, accused of being 'chancers' and 'con artists' and being here purely as economic migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

How does calling somebody a chancer mean they are far right?

Who are "The hope and courage collective"

Presumably another government funded mouthpiece coining it on the back of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

If they work and try to come off state assistance then most fair irish people will accept Ukrainians. The other frauds, not so much.

• Advertisement

I think a big problem we have is journalism and the media. Just listening to Kevin Doyle now on tv3 he is tiptoeing around the issue very carefully and offering up soft balls to the NGO woman beside him. That's because the next job for a journalist might be to work in an NGO. Or as a government advisor. They are never going to take a stand that hurts their future career prospects.

In 2021 France rejected 95% of Georgians for asylum. Ireland accepted 89% of them

Can the usual suspects comment on this please , are the French just meanies?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

That was another shitshow on the tonight show…

At least Verona Murphy didn’t back down.

But more of the same we have to house everyone who comes in regardless as we have obligations.

Seems like they think the more they keep saying it the people might believe it.

They really think us plebs are thick.

Strangely, the whole immigration debate seems far more loaded and wound up in Ireland than in the UK. There don't appear to be any anti-refugee protests in British towns or cities, or we'd surely be hearing all about them in the Daily Mail and on GB News.

Would you say that O'Keeffe, Dwyer, Pepper and all the other citizen journalists are not far right out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Would be it conspiracy theory to suggest that the extra 4.5% VAT was lobbed back on, not in haste, but with intent that these buildings would be easily converted to 'emergency' accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

You write this up every 3 or 4 days. No one cares about immigration in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

OK but read your first paragraph there again. Do you see the issue? Your viewpoint still entails that the refugees from Ukraine should be allowed to come to and enter the country. That's the absolute heart of the matter — achieving all the other things is the hard part that comes after and is not easily handled. Weeding out the chancers is not always easy, deporting people is not always easy, putting people into custody if you can't deport them is costly and ultimately you can't keep them in prison forever. There aren't always easy ways around this and what a lot of people on this thread need to really wake up on is that these complications are complications because they are complicated — it isn't all just because lefties / traitors / George Soros / blue haired transgenders / snowflakes / NGOs / open borders activists or whatever other bogeyman that people want to use as the easy scapegoat for a problem that is as old as the human race.

And for the record, I think the recent EU package agreed only a couple of weeks ago to facilitate the sharing of the burden of refugees across EU member states, limiting the numbers arriving and fast tracking deportations are a step in the right direction. More needs to be done to assist the "front line" states in the east and along the Mediterranean coast in preventing traffickers from taking people to Europe, but that also requires a collaborative approach with countries East of the EU and in North Africa to facilitate co-operation with them and amenability to handling higher numbers of deportations / repatriation of refugees coming from those countries. This will take time and will not be perfect — none of this is ever going to be perfect because new crises will happen and it's not always because of people you don't agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Peadar Toibin was on with PK this morning and the points I picked up on (via his parliamentary questions) were that McEntee basically doesn't know how the majority of A/S get here and she doesn't know where the people that have been issued with deportation orders, but didn't self-deport, are.

It's okay though, the Govt have confidence in her -

Watched VM tv tonight and it looks like Kevin Doyle (Indo) has flipped and gone full 'Woke' - He'll get lots of work with RTE for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Ah jesus would you ever quit with this "invasion" talk. I am interested in intelligent conversation, I'm not interested in buzz words that people like to fling around for dramatic effect. Try it with someone else, but spare me the Twitterverse vocabulary.

Anyway, not sure if you're aware, but the Syrian conflict was (and indeed remains) pretty brutal — possibly the most brutal of the 21st century so far — and led to one of the biggest waves of refugee movements into Europe ever seen in modern times. The EU simply was not prepared for it and its asylum system effectively collapsed. That's obviously not good — but you had millions of people on the move into Europe and there was no magic portal into another dimension to usher them into.

And to be perfectly honest with you, if the EU hadn't first experienced the Syrian refugee crisis, then the absolute clusterf**k which has been the enormous displacement of Ukrainians would have been even more of a clusterf**k. The Syrian crisis at least led to better co-operation between EU countries, which in turn has helped the response — and this crisis had already played a role in the EU moving towards yet more reform at this very moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Photobox

I had to turn Kevin Doyle off, his moral superiority was so irritating.

There towns and cities are mostly overan already. We're trying to stop this. Hopefully more people join in the protests as they realise what a total shambles it is.

Overrun by refugees? There's only around 250k asylum seekers in the UK in total, out of a population of 67m people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Does this not answer your post on the previous page as to why debate doesn't seem as "loaded" in the UK.

Post edited by newhouse87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Oh dear, the logic of your argument explodes. No offence but have you ever heard of an own goal ?

So why are they so culturally enriched. Alot of their towns and cities resemble towns and cities from different countries. Was this not a massive reason why Brexit happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Stating we need cheap labour. Very considerate of him for immigrants if that's all he thinks of them in the first place. He really is scum in my opinion.

It's over 12e min wage now anyways is it not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement