Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

His salary is probably covered by Paddy Power and/or the syndications in Ireland. But long term he also needs to build an audience in the UK as radio is very competitive there. So not much in it for them if he can't do that. Its obvious NK calls the shots and Tubridy goes where he's told. Go to Virgin, do 6 months and RTE will be begging for you to return, he was probably told.

Tubridy seems interested in holding onto some previous listeners from Ireland and staying relevant in Ireland.

Problem is a lot of traditional radio 1 listeners are loyal to the station and probably listen using traditional radios instead of through digital.

There's a risk he falls between two stools. It will be interesting to see what the Sunday listernership is in Ireland. There's a bit of anger in Cork about him cutting into a local show.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's narcissism on a different level.

Instructions to the illustrator, "I want the little boy to look like me, and make me the journalist too".

Slightly sad and creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Eh I was joking but it’s still a mystery as to what virgin uk is getting out of this - it’s likely penetration into Irish radio so I assume they don’t give a darn about their uk audience right now on that station - it seems a bit lame though and it’s certainly not disruptive in that it’s not signalling a radical shakeup in Irish radio providers - people won’t stand for this sh1t - they’ll just turn the dial to a channel not broadcasting this rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭animalinside

His brother Niall is a also apparently a leading Neurologist.

That used to be quite common you know - the favoured son would become a doctor, and the idiot brother would be sent off to work with RTE.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

A little odd thing I noticed is that he never (or I haven't heard him) mention another host on Virgin and a fellow country man... Graham Norton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Money.

Perhaps there's also a bigger picture with the Wireless Group (Virgin Radio's owner) wishing to sell its Irish radio stations and needing an Irish name to make them more attractive to a buyer? Virgin gets the advertising revenue and Q102 gets an ex-RTE presenter for much less than the previous RTE management thought he was worth. And guess who owns Virgin Radio, Wireless Group and The Sun and The Times?

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

And he's bound to meet some interesting people on the flights over and back.

Oh he would definitely meet some interesting people on the flights over and back, but he’ll never know that because it will be all Me, Me, Me, Ryan, Ryan, Ryan……

Id say he’d be a feckin nightmare to sit beside on a flight….

Id be plugging the headphones in for that sh1tshow…

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

His salary is probably covered by Paddy Power and/or the syndications in Ireland.

Surely that can't be sufficient justification for taking on a guy they have no/very little confidence in as a presenter? My understanding is 10-1 is one of the most profitable but also competitive slots for any commercial radio station.

But long term he also needs to build an audience in the UK

But they must believe there is at least a decent chance he will do that, otherwise the hiring makes no sense. Virgin is a serious business after all, not some frolic of Chris Evans's...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭leath_dub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Illustrator: "Calling it 'Ryan and the President' is a bit too much on the nose. How about we make the child look a little like you instead? "

RT: "OK. Can you also put adult me in the background?"

Illustrator: "Erm...well, that's still a bit...."

NK: "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO THIS IS????"

Would you consider that a lot of "conceptual" art is the product of low-talent chancers and is aimed at people who wish to be considered sophisticated? :) (Vaguely remember a monkey's artwork being passed off as that of a great artist and fooling quite a few art critics.) Wonder what Tubridy thinks about Aristotle's second book of Poetics?

Regards...jmcc

I reckon he tried to get a top up of some sort from Norton, be it a shoutout, or a few promo tweets…..

And I can imagine the response from Norton was;

no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭yagan

I can imagine Graham thinking everyone I interview has some work behind them with which I can talk to them about in front of the UK public. Where would he even start with Tubs in front of a UK audience?

"Hi everyone, this is Ryan whose Partygate style backhanders were found out so now he's slumming in the UK until he thinks it's safe enough to crawl back to his old job."

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FattyBolger

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭Tow

Not true. I bought a copy of a JMcC book, must be almost 30 years ago!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭Tork

I can't help but think both sides went into this agreement with different aims. Virgin thought they were getting a veteran broadcaster who'd take over that mid-morning slot and perhaps become a breakthrough star. It's looking more and more like Tubridy isn't interested in trying to connect with any of his new listeners. It's the equivalent of a summer job that'll keep him going until something better comes up back in Ireland. I'm not a fan of Tubridy's but don't wish him ill either - I'd describe myself as an interested observer. Any time I dip into his show, I come away thinking he's doing a terrible job. Any texts he reads out are from Irish people, he can't stop talking about Irish things and he's not actually that interesting. Other radio stations are available and I think many will turn the dial or whatever the modern equivalent is.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FattyBolger

Is there any actual evidence to suggest that Paddypower are directly paying his salary instead of Virgin? A few people have hinted at that, and I find it highly dubious to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s completely made up fantasy stuff, Fatty. It’s not how sponsorship or employment works. Pie in the sky stuff. Mills and Boons.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Jaysus the defenders are out in force. The cheques must have cleared

What’s happened to @Pintman Paddy Losty and @Sunny Disposition ?

Why does everyone seem so confident that Tubridy will have ANY chance of a future career with RTE ?

How could that be justified by anyone at RTE ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

No evidence they are directly paying his wages. His own evidence they are sponsoring the show after he begged them. Does it make a difference if they pay him directly or they pay Virgin who then pay him?

And for the record I am not saying this is a Renault 2.0 deal. Its all above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I think that is a fair assessment. If Virgin are referring to Tubridy as the "legendary Ryan Tubridy" though, they've miscalculated, even by Irish mammie standards. The LLS is technically legendary, but Tubs is only legendary due to recent events, and not in a good way.

God, this is from 2017. Even 6 years they were actually telling us that the joke was on us!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I suspect the novelty of posting when 98% of people disagree with them, has worn off. Perhaps one of them hoped this thread would be closed. (Dunno where I got that idea).

Unlike RTE, Virgin Radio is a commercial radio station and it has to cover costs and make a profit. It has no licence fee to help it along so it primarily works on getting advertising and sponsorship. With Tubridy, Virgin got an established name even if he was just an Irish broadcaster with little UK visibility. The interesting thing is the part of the deal that has Tubridy's slot syndicated on Q102 and other Wireless Group (News Broadcasting) stations in Ireland.

There has been a lot of takeover activity in the Irish radio market and the Communicorp stations were sold a few years ago to Bauer. There have even been sales at a local radio level. Tubridy's main value is not to Virgin Radio but rather in the syndication deals with Q102 and the other Irish stations. He may have been worth the salary he is being paid by Virgin Radio if he can boost the listenership of Q102 and the other Irish stations. He's working longer hours for less money than he was getting in RTE.

It might seem to be a bit of a gamble for Virgin to put Tubridy on right after Chris Evans but if people are listening to the slot rather than the presenter, it might not lose a lot of the audience. The important thing is that the advertising and sponsorship for the slot remains healthy. If Tubridy helps build the figures for Q102 and the other Irish stations, it would make them more attractive to a buyer but it might also bring in more advertising. Perhaps he will get some of his fans to switch from RTE to Q102. His old slot on RTE seemed to get more listeners after he was replaced. The next few RAJARs and JNLRs should show if the gamble has paid off.

If he's a success for Q102 etc (their figures go up and the RTE and others figures go down slightly) then it might make more commercial sense (for Virgin Radio's and Q102's owner) to move him sideways back to Ireland and reassign the Virgin Radio slot to a UK presenter. It could take six months to a year to see if that's what will happen.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Best we not talk about how sponsorship and payments worked in RTÉ…….

It was also complete made up fantasy…. Except the bits where it all actually happened… which was most of it!

Opening link and the dad jokes are back....

"Gail is on" "Run like the wind Gail"

"Who am I?" Ryan Tubridy, thats RYAN TUBRIDY... Let me introduce myself........

It really is hospital radio stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭Tow

Tubs talking speed has reduced today.

Still talking about books and bookshops.

Says he owns a couple of younger people!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

You get the impression from him that he's actually broadcasting to a BBCR4 or R2 audience.... or maybe he believes that's who his audience is....

All the while playing Taylor Swift and Ed Sheehan songs...

I give it 6 months (and I'm being kind)

Advertisement