Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Posted the below when I saw it in the Metrolink thread, and if anything, my opinion has become more incensed in the last few minutes. Really disappointed with Dublin Chamber.

That's one of the most brain dead, stupidest articles that I've ever seen. Like knuckle dragging neanderthal stuff.

Because of a riot that happened on a road with cars, taxis, buses and Luas on it, we should stop plans for pedestrianisation? Jesus wept. Like, it's actually astonishing how incredibly stupid that is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Just need more Gardai on foot, bikes and horse to keep visible evidence they are there and will mean business - that means active policing.

What good would a taxi be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

A perfect example of the phrase: "If your only tool is a hammer, than every problem looks like a nail".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Need to pressure public representatives about this. It's complete nonsense with no supporting evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Surprise! City massively increases highway capacity in the city centre and chaos ensues.

New underground motorway interchange (yes that's what it is) in Sydney has been a disaster:

This is the comment I put. Thoughts?

"Although Australia is very good at building large infrastructure projects, performing well on cost and build time, I think that worked against it in the case of the Rozelle and St Peter's Interchanges. They were built so fast that there wasn't enough time to challenge the logic behind them. The worst place to build highways is in a CBD or downtown, as this is where density and demand are highest so traffic on the highways will be through the roof. Hence permanent congestion.

The only way out of induced demand is to somehow limit access to the underground highways, either through high tolls (though this punishes the poor) or some kind of hard limit on the number of vehicles entering the system per minute (which shifts the congestion to surface streets and makes it a free for all to try to get to the entrances on time).

Work from Home and staggering rush hour helps too, but maybe only a little."

Post edited by spacetweek on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

IT article about how government policies are still leading to residential development in the commuter belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Can't really picture this car park or know anything about it, but great news anyway. The replies to the Tweet are the icing on the cake too.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

For accuracy - it was never a 'car park' in the public sense. It was the AA's head office and the ground floor/basement of the building had employee parking spaces, with entrance/exits that opened out onto both South William and Drury Street ends. Good to see it redeveloped though. The former BT, now Grafton car park, is the Goliath that still needs to be slayed though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

DCC got an update on their various north inner city projects that are in planning and construction, and CLLR Ray McAdam has kindly taken a photo of every slide and put them on twitter.

Most of it is stuff that's already known, but some is new.

They've had to go back to putting the pedestrian bridge in the Docklands at Forbes St. I can't remember if DCC originally wanted it there or elsewhere, and ABP forced them to change, or vice versa, but they're designing it with Dart Underground in mind this time around.

The Point Roundabout upgrade has been delayed, due to concerns about the impact it'd have on traffic in the port tunnel. While they redesign it, they're going to put pedestrian crossings at the roundabout, which totally misses the point of why that place is a disaster for cycling + pedestrians.

The Pedestrian and Cycle bridge that they want to put down there is in early planning, expected to hit planning this year, with construction starting in 2026.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Just rehashed stuff with a year or more added to the timeline. Won't hold breath

Yeah, it's a pretty standard way of DCC kicking the can on all of it. "Oh look, someone has pointed something out, we'll need to cancel our current plan so that we can look at this properly again" or "There's going to be a wider masterplan for this area sometime in the future, so we're not going to do anything here yet" are the two most commonly used in my opinion.

as mentioned before, DCC are operating at less than 90% nominal headcount; and where they're missing most proportionally is at the technical/engineer end. and it's stuff like this which suffers; we end up in the usual irish situation of the urgent driving out the important.

would be worth mentioning to your councillor (if you live in DCC) that you don't want them to keep opting for the 15% reduction in property tax (if, of course, you'd be happy with that!). most parties have that as policy, except labour and the greens.

In Dublin we don't even get to keep our LPT in Dublin, 20% of it has to be redistributed to the rest of the country in the interests of 'fairness' despite central government spending already being heavily weighted on rural spending per head. So there's no point in arguing for a higher rate, you're just arguing for more liquidity for Healy-Rae Inc.

even given that - if you wanted the extra 15% collected, it'd mean a 12% boost for DCC.

the way you phrased your post would suggest any increase would go in toto to other local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Lack of money or the nature of the work?

Any study's done I wonder as to why Local Authority's cannot attract Engineers or why they have such high turnover?

I say it's far more attractive to work for Engineering Consultancy - who of course end up designing a huge amount of the public projects.

(Terms of reference which are defined by the Project Managers in Local Gov. )

DCC transport is impossible to work for, the 'managers' work is basically coming up with reasons why you can't do things and all solutions you can possible develop won't be implemented because of this and that, it's an impossible culture to work in or advance in. There are much better projects on offer at the NTA, DCC regularly rubberstamps absolute tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Local authorities don't have the necessary pipeline of good and interesting work to keep the staff or the expertise in house.

You need to keep the work going on constantly or that kind of institutional knowledge is lost. Until local authorities can get that kind of pipeline of work together, consultancies will always fare better at this stuff.

Also pay is generally better in private sector.

• Advertisement

i was talking to an engineer working for DCC who was saying they can't compete with private sector pay rates. there's probably a cultural aspect too, it's my (limited) experience that no matter whether it's public or private sector, large, long established organisations tend to stagnate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Agree - its a bit of chicken and egg stuff. I think many local authority's have enough interesting work but don't have staff to do it and now its been outsourced to NTA and Consultancy groups. How to break that cycle to get a certain amount of that work done in-house. Would need serious Local Government reform to make it happen though. When one sees how DLR is struggling what chance to rest of the LA's have. More Council amalgamations perhaps? Make them more Regional to have the necessary scale.

Pavement parking is illegal in Edinburgh from today. I wonder how that will pan out and if they'll enforce it properly. £100 fine. I'd love to see the chaos that would ensue if they tried this in Dublin. Hard pressed motorists would totally lose it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well clamping, when it was introduced, had a remarkable effect. Suddenly, legal parking became easier, and illegal parking disappeared - well more or less.

I'm just not sure how it would work in Dublin though. I moved to North Strand recently and it's a free for all for parking. We were driving down Charleville Ave the other day and both footpaths are entirely taken up by parked cars so the streams of people walking to Croke Park for the Dublin match had to walk on the road in front of us. The amount of them waving and apologising to us in the car like it was their fault was ridiculous.

Parking was regularised on this street in Cabra, after residents fought for it. DCC claimed it was impossible (their main mission is to find reasons not to do things) and you can see how well it works on this 2 way road. Traffic is slowed down by parked cars effectively reducing the road width and the footpaths are safe, just a lil paint on the road was required. All of the neighbouring streets have cars dumped all over the paths.

3 Leix Rd - Google Maps

what would you do here?

1 Charleville Ave

We had that problem in our road until pay parking was introduced.

Problem was solved following the odd clamping attack. Now, there is little parking and no outright illegal parking (save the white delivery vans who park on the double yellows instead of the empty legal spaces across from them). I give out to them when I see them, but congratulate the ones who do actually do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

In my residential area there is constant parking with two wheels on the footpath (car and van, resident and visitor).

I recently asked a van driver why he did this and he said so other cars dont crash into his van.

Was tempted to ask is he aware of a lot of blind drivers in the area but thought better of it.

The inference is that

- I have a problem as I need to store my vehicle.

- I don't want to inconvenience other vehicles so I'll inconvenience pedestrians and that is fine

• Advertisement

You could do the same thing and have regularised parking on one side of the road

Advertisement