Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

The UK has about 200000 Ukrainians spread across 67m people

We have about 100000 Ukranians spread across just 5m people.

At this stage if you are not a brainwashed employee of an NGO, charity or in some other way stealing a living out of all of this, I'd be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Says you, do you have any experience of the tourism and hospitality industry that the state has set about wrecking, partic outside Dublin? Just how do you derive your income? What is it based on? What productive work do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The crazy thing is on top of us taking this massive proportion of Ukrainians it's still an open door for thousand's fleeing non war torn countries claiming international "protection". We're being scammed to bits here. If the government held a referendum tomorrow asking if this should stop immediately and indefinitely people would vote yes.

I'm starting to realise democracy ain't all it's made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's off the wall conspiracy nonsense and drivel to suggest that government increased vat to encourage restaurants and hotels to convert into refugee accomodation.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

RTE staff badgering local public reps again this morning - Mary v Jennifer Murnane Carlow FF TD. Mary relentlessly asking TD were they at protests in Carlow. Apparently the large group males that were to be coming to Carlow are now to be replaced with families a la Ballinrobe. But I noted a caveat that this arrangement might just be for now, to get them started like and Carlow & Ballinrobe and others will see the families replaced in time.

Fact is, the majority of public services are in greater Dublin. It has been public policy for many years to reduce services in regional areas and concentrate them in Dublin and to lesser extent in Cork & Galway. So the obvious solution is that proportionally the large majority of refugees and asylum migrants should be housed in greater Dublin where the services are. And if they land up as neighbours of RTE news staff and politicians, business people and senior civil servants, well that will be a good result for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It certainly feels like it at the moment.

Massive decisions being made that will impact the country forever by a select few people.

Very weird times.

She said millions of people are on the move around the world, adding that "this is a global problem, this is not just Ireland. It's not a temporary problem. We need to be able to respond more permanently."

That's McEntee this morning. Looks like they are scaling up for bigger numbers.

So more NGO's and charities, all funded by the government.

The window of opportunity to slam the door on this is rapidly closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It would be effective if it was actually policed and refuse people to enter it they have arrived from another safe EU state .

It's really simple, you no you don't have the same travel rights though the EU as Europen citizens do, make it so they Visas are required to enter anywhere in the EU from outside side ,no visa no entry

I presume you are not in business so, you can't be. If you were and had such a premises that suited, you would most certainly weigh up income streams v costs and effort. There is good regular guaranteed income to be made from accommodating refugees/ asylum migrants. Versus a business model of hospitality with a rising raft of costs. This is exactly why these premises are popping up around the country.

And you haven't answered, how do you earn your crust? I earn mine in part from the above.

• Advertisement

All the while every public service is crumbling at the seams and young people can’t buy a house.

How much money is all this gonna cost this year?

3 billion, 5 billion? How about next year? Another 5 billion??

What an absolute pisstake.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

There are also loads of chancers pretending to be Ukrainian.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭_Marshall_

Yes , stepping back from it, I just ask myself why? what is the drive behind this and with such intensity and disregard for National outcomes short/ medium / long term?

Is just career politicians securing their slot in the EU after they move on from Ireland?

Is it Irish vested interests making mega bucks from this providing the infrastructure for it?

NGO's with way too much clout ?

WEF / George Soros / Lizard People?

I cant get my head around the delineation between the political / media class and the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What happens to a single Dad with 2 children with him?

Is that classed as a family or is not allowed in the shelter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Wondering is it because sinn finn got a majority last election. Being punished by this coalition since.

Ya want sinn finn policies and free for all mantra they go on with. Here have it with a cherry on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You're ignoring somewhat that acceptance of refugees and asylum seekers is not optional. Ireland has signed up to various international refugee agreements dating back decades and cannot simply opt out of the international asylum system or rewrite the rules of them to such a radical degree that it is accepting only very small numbers. There is not much evidence that Ireland is accepting more refugees per capita than any other country in western Europe (apart from with Ukrainians, where it seems they have messed up and taken in more than they should have).

Rubbish. We have an opt out as part of the Lisbon treaty,

And regarding the GC, there is no arbitration stipulated in the treaty that can compel a country to accept them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

well Government still think that we are in position to take in unlimited ukrainians. Either that or they won’t admit the where wrong. We simply took in to many ukrainians and i get it that it was the best intentions but we can’t handle the numbers. also what we offered was maybe far to generous and not thought through.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

A good recession is needed here to stop this madness.the imf coming in with bells and whistles this time

• Advertisement

The sad part about our leaders such as McEntee, Leo and Martin is they aren't even the top dogs in their own constituency. Our country is being run into the shitter by lads who don't even top the polls where they're from.

At least Eamon Ryan did. The rest are **** chancers. Local elections in a few months. People will make themselves heard hopefully.

It's because of the last recession we're in this mess where the government want to increase our population to help pay off our massive debt. **** that last thing we need is another recession that would push a few hundred thousand Irish abroad and lead to a bigger debt.

Anyone see this?

Pakistani's now obtaining Ukrainian citizenship before flying here and claiming Asylum as a refugee. Video of them at airport.

Dont worry about it. We have a rules based system. And international obligations. Soft landing anyone?

There is some truth in that - during recession the gap between rich & poor narrows. What this current policy is about is rampant growth, fed on cheap labour and widening the gap between the haves and have nots.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We can walk away from treaties if we choose to ,

This is one of the problems people quoting international treaties as if we are permanently locked in without a say but we can withdraw from treaties.

All the same its a shocking piss take. Those gentlemen look no more in trouble than me at my keyboard. Onus is on us to take genuine cases but that is a piss take and abuse of a situation. it's depressing actually. That a system can be negated so easily. I didn't even know Ukraine offered citizenship like that. How can the likes of anyone in Government, or the likes of Cuddihy or Coleman stand over that. We will pay these well dressed men 220 a week and keep them while they can rest up and decide what they want to do. Seriously no wonder the country is starting to boil over... for the folk who defend this, after viewing that video is this not an abuse of well intentioned system?

shocking. They have clearly been well coached

Total silence though from the pro-refugee crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

60 year old (wtf!) Pakistanis claiming to be Ukrainians looking for asylum , should be on the next plane out!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Photobox

This was more or less said by a Radio presenter this morning. It really struck me when you hear it like that, everyone is thinking and saying it, the government won't back down on it and proved to be wrong..that's the really concerning part.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement