Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on pinemartin

Options
  • 10-01-2024 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭

We have a pinemartin wandering around the house. It went into a polytunnel where we store turf.

Any advice? Are they dangerous?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Leave them be and they will leave you be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

They're reducing the grey squirrel population, leave it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Thanks. I'm wondering will it nest in there? Would it attack a little dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Base price

They are not dangerous to humans unless you try catching them or livestock. If you keep poultry you should ensure that the poultry house/enclosure is safe from pine martins. They are a protected species under the Wildlife Act and as posted they predate on grey squirrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Is the pine-martin a ‘house pet’ and kept in a cage usually….or did he come into your gaff ‘uninvited’ …?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I'm surrounded by mink, fox & pine Martens and I've inadvertently caught (two) in a mink trap I had set for mink, I released them about 5 miles away from here....

It's good they reduce grey squirrel population, but they also reduced my hen population.. so they're not welcome here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

A young pine martin can get thru a 45mm gap so a poly tunnel would easy.Maybe looking for live food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

On an out farm they had 2 "pups" I was walked through to a gap in the hedge one day and came across them. The parents looked at me & I decided it was better I backed off. I have no fowl so not an issue for me, but I would say they are as well.off left alone & keep well away from them because I would guess they are viscous if cornered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Thanks i don't want young kids going in there if there is a nest

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

They are irelands rarest native mammal. I had a female and pups under my cubicles, this year.

I believe they are protected. Wonderful creature. Not ideal in the house. Leave a radio or light on and it might encourage them to move.

Im hoping the one in my farm gets a serious taste for rabbits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd deter them from the tunnell if possible, no wild animal likes to feel cornered and these lads are well equiped to defend themselves if needed.. Other than that if you've chickens as mentioned above you will need extreme measures to protect them.. If youve no poultry then no worries.. Enjoy seeing them about..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

These encourage people to report sightings so they can gauge population, dispersal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Steer clear, they are dangerous if cornered, they don't flee either when they see a threat so trying to hunt them on will not work. Had one kill 9 turkeys on us one November, laid them all in a line outside the pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Lots of em around here, do they not kill the red squirrels also?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

Probably did originally, but the greys are bigger so a better meal.

Saw my first ever red last year near Blessington, so something's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Met one on the road this evening just a small bit away from the house. There's a lot of them around here with all the hazel woodland. Never did any harm here with lambs or fowl when we had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,653 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Afaik the thinking Is the grey squirrel is used to predators from above and not used to the likes of a pine marten that can sneak up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Melodeon

To my understanding, the Pine marten will prey on anything of suitable size that it can catch. This obviously includes Red squirrels.

The "that it can catch" bit is where the Red squirrel lives. The Red is relatively light, nimble, and fast compared to the Grey. They (the Reds) can get to places the Grey can't, and to where the Pine marten can't pursue them.

I've seen Reds here run out onto the smallest of twigs on the end of branches and jump a 2 meter gap onto similarly small twigs in the next tree like it was nothing. The Pine marten simply can't follow. Under the same circumstances, a bigger and heavier Grey squirrel couldn't get out as far on the twigs to make the jump, and would be stuck in the tree with its pursuer.

Also, Greys spend a lot more of their time on the ground, which leaves them more exposed, affords them fewer avenues of escape, and makes them much more vulnerable to predation.

The Red and the Pine marten evolved together here in Ireland, and under normal circumstances, the squirrels are well able to out-reproduce the numbers predated by the Pine marten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

I think also because the Red and the Marten evolved together, the Red is genetically predisposed to recognise the Marten scent and avoid it if at all possible. As an introduced species, the Grey doesn't have this inherited fear and are thus less cautious, to their detriment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

They prefer the grey squirrel.Easier to catch apparently.Mfman has got it,too

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Aurelian

A woman I know accidentally cornered/came upon one in an out building a few years ago and it attacked her. I'd be careful with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Had one under my kitchen sink one time. Myself and my vet caught him with a pair of welding gloves and let him off to the nearest ditch. He didn’t come back thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

They're harmless. Although the marten is well armed and an aggressive predator they don't attack humans, there are no recorded incidents of a pine marten attacking a human.

Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

I was about to ask this. With all this talk of how dangerous they are (they're tiny!), is there any evidence at all to support this? Is it a bit like the nonsense about badgers breaking your leg with their massive powerful jaws and huge gnashing teeth?

I have pine martens around my house and I love them. I caught a few on camera and they're beautiful little things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A guide to the relative size of the various Mustelids. There are no Polecats in Ireland.

From

MustelidLeaflet.pdf (vwt.org.uk)

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Whatever about Pine Martens, I wouldn't like to face a Wolverine.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AFAIK it's also that they don't need to necessarily predate on the greys, but if it makes the greys more wary and scared, they're less able to feed and just reduces their breeding efficiency.

a pine marten was found as roadkill in drumcondra last year apparently. almost certainly would have come down the tolka valley - i'd say they'd set up happily in the botanic gardens, plenty of greys there.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

That's a bit misleading. The mink we have in Ireland are American mink, and they're typically bigger than pine martens. Also, a mink is a heftier animal than a pine marten. Pine martens are almost unnaturally lithe, like a shoelace that has come to life. Really beautiful to watch them in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I wouldn't consider pine martins tiny. I have seen them over the years around the farm sheds/fields and they ain't small. We also have stoats which are small compared to pine martins. I've seen the odd mink in the past but non recently and they too were smaller/slimmer than our pine martins.

Advertisement