Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

1. Buy cans in the north
    2. Print sheets of stickers with return barcodes
    3. Profit

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And are now relying on something that is clearly a site count not an RVM count.

It clearly states RVMs - No of Units. No where does it state a site count.

Did you do the maths to notice that the figure per supermarket is significantly higher than per small shop, because it is for more machines?

Because not all these machines are the same size.

Also

"There will be over 2000 reverse vending machines in our stores" - CEO of Re-Turn. (Matt Cooper Show 10-1-24).

The amount of extremely badly put together arguments with bad science in terms of data on this thread is staggering.

I 100% agree you have offered absolutely no evidence to back up your spurious claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

it took a real stroke of genius to put the return points just inside the doors of the supermarkets, for the already nosey cúnts in this country to keep an eye on who is return what. We have enough curtains twitchers already. This is like christmas all year round for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I have outlined at length previously why there will be additional car journeys.

Here's it in a nutshell for you again.

• Most small-medium supermarkets have 1 rvm, the larger ones have 2.
    • We are sold the idea that we will drop off our bottles with our normal shopping trip
    • assuming everyone does that shops have peak times, the most peak time being after work weekly, social welfare Thursdays, Friday evenings, and all day Saturday.
    • If everyone goes with their bottles they will be undoubtedly met by someone at the machine using it. Will they have a black bag or two of bottles and cans? Maybe, maybe not. The key point is there is friction introduced instantly.
    • Friction will make the person with the one bottle fire it in the general waste anyway, but more importantly the family will just put their bottle back in the car and come back at a quieter time especially to deposit the bottles as we all currently do with the glass jars.

If this was a new system, i.e. we only had black bins till now, there would be a case but as its stands its just putting an onus on the tax payer and not the councils, private waste companies etc to get their act together in relation to the percentage of plastics and cans presented to them for recycling.

EPA figures have been shared on here, those are not what percentage is collected but what percentage of what is collected that is actually recycled. Ergo there is no factual basis for this scheme in my opinion.

Yeah Boggles, you can just put it in your bin at the expense of yourself and the profit of the new quango.

Stop spreading misinformation tut tut!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Exactly, in no way has the current system been "completely dismantled". The current system is very much in place for those who want to use it. Your green bin will still be used for all other recyclables e.g. card, cardboard, paper, milk bottles, other types of cans.

Boggles jumps on any ambiguity in the wording of anyone supporting the scheme. It is his opinion that the current scheme has been "completely dismantled", its not a fact. A line he loves to use.

Or do you also believe the current system has been "completely dismantled"?

Its been changed massively for no real gain for the consumer.

It has been changed. I agree. It has not been "completely dismantled", that is false.

The gains are environmental but yes I agree there is no direct gain for the consumer. There is just more inconvenience for the consumer.

What Boggles said is wrong. The current system is still in place. Boggles calls everyone out on anything he perceives is incorrect but immediately resorts to "pedantic pants" when someone points out he is factually incorrect.

The gains are not proven to be environmental either - we have to wait and see as you say. What's to say this wont just be incinerated also? Absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement

There was nothing pedantic about my post. Saying the current system has been completely dismantled is entirely false.

I am not going to cover old ground. We both interpret the sentence in the FAQs differently. Lets see what happens?

It has not been "completely dismantled", that is false.

I'll try once more although I think your obtuseness is impregnable.

Right now we are incentivised to recycle.

When this scheme goes live recycling in the same way is penalised, twice.

Once by the increase from the collection companies and once by the loss of deposit.

Financially penalising someone for recycling is a complete dismantling of the current system.

Thats an opinion. Not a fact. Why do you continue to portray your opinions as facts?

Your green bin will still be taking paper, card, cardboard, milk cartons, other metal containers for food etc. You are still able to recycle drinks cans and bottles in the green bin. There will be a financial penalty for doing so. However, the bin will not reject them. The waste company will not reject them.

The current system has been modified. The current system has not been completely dismantled. Saying so is simply wrong and false.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You still haven't explained how it will cause additional car journeys though. Unless, are you suggesting people will

1. go to the supermarket at a busy peak time

2. not wanting to queue for a RVM they'll put their recycling back in the car, still do their shopping at said peak time

3. Plan a journey at a later time for the sole purpose of claiming a few quid on a shopping voucher

That sounds like a highly unlikely scenario. It's much more likely in that scenario that shopper will come back at a quieter time to do their shopping and returning at the same time

I'm confused, do you want me to prove that these schemes in other countries achieved huge increases in recycling figures or that the one in Ireland that hasn't started yet will do so?

Because one has proof all over the internet, the other is impossible

But I'm guessing you'll need an explanation on why or how to use basic internet search skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Will my bin charges rise as a result of this new RVM scheme that will take bottles and cans from my 'green' bin?? Answer me that.

Why should I, a responsible recycler, now have to segregate these bottles and cans and put them through a separate anti litter system?

I want you to prove the recycling targets that you quote.

"Let's start with the current baseline figures for recycling these cans and bottles. What to the nearest % are these rates currently??"

What exactly is our current recycling for the materials that will in future go through RVMs?

Without that figure, you're spouting through yer backside.

Thats an opinion. Not a fact.

Am I going to be financially penalised for recycling as I currently do it.

Yes or No?

there is one RVM inside the front door of a big busy tesco near me. I can't see too many people queueing up for this.

Somebody else made a simpletons argument that people have to queue with your shopping. There are 7 tills (more manned the busier it is), 4 self service pay points and another 4 pay points if you choose to scan your shopping as you shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

This is the question that is being asked (will be asked when people become aware of its impact) by households up and down the country. The answer seems to be a shrug of the shoulder and it is what it is, get a life and get on with it. Basically chalk it down to taking one for the team so the brand IRL Inc avoids a scolding from our EU betters. At least thats how Im rationalising it😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

People don't get to the supermarket, decide outside the supermarket that it is too busy to do their shopping and say I'll come back when its quieter. Point 3 in your post sounds much more likely.

Indeed and in time we'll hear politicians wringing their hands about inflation and cost of living. When they themselves are a driver of inflation and putting more costs on individuals and businesses.

You will not recover the deposits you have paid on the relevant items you dispose of in your green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,651 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Where on earth did people get the idea that the machines will give out cash?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Administrators Posts: 53,748 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The machines don't give out cash, but they give out a voucher that you can bring to the till to redeem for cash.

You don't have to use the voucher to offset a purchase.

I suppose the logic there is that the RVMs will be faster as you are only dropping/scanning cans and bottles into a machine rather than scanning and bagging an entire weekly shop so the time taken would be a lot less than at a till

Do you have proof that RVMs cause these massive queues in Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Malta, Norway, Lithuania, the Netherlands or Sweden where they are used regularly?

But they will get to the supermarket, see the queue for the RVMs and decide they're better off coming back later? Do you have proof that this is what happens in other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,651 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes so why did you mention "the sort of coins that nobody really wants" when the machine does not give out coins?

Nobody is going to bother to redeem a voucher for 15c. They'll either offset a purchase or wait until they have a few vouchers to redeem.

Really though there should be the option to collect the refund onto a contactless debit card.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

there is 1, right inside the door of a busy supermarket. people won't be bothered queueing up. the majority of people i see collecting in a few of those countries are down and outs, collecting them from being left on the streets. It was that way 25 years ago in Holland/Germany, and the same the last time I was there. maybe we need more homeless around to collect the cans and bottles

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement