Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Puffer jacket on that lad on the left looks expensive. Infact those 3 lads look positively MIDDLE CLASS people.

They have resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

There are Whatapp and Telegram groups set up to advice these chancers on how exactly to take advantage of every possible entitlement. Cash into hand low paid jobs are also available in these same groups run by middlemen who take a cut of everything. None of this is particularly new and has been happening for years but we are now seeing an increasing number of people traffickers move their UK operations to Ireland in the last few months

I'd hazard a guess those 3 in the video are not going to be scrubbing toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Thats Fine Gael arrogance and Green Party been dogmatic. But Id love to ask them after viewing the piss take video above really folks? We are allowing this? My sympathies would be with genuine refugees. Even the folks found in the Container in rosslare. But these lads, well groomed, smiling and chatting away on their phones, taking the actual piss. Just makes me depressed to see. A OAP with a broken hip waits for four hours for an Ambulance, we cant even get that right in parts of the country. But yet we'll entertain these spoofers because of 'International Obligations'. Ive no answer anymore for this.

That guy does some great work. He's more journalism blood in him than the entirety of RTE or Newstalk combined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I see the the latest sound bite they are trying to fool us plebs with is once an application has been decided the people will get deported if they are refused.

Oh they are fingerprinted cross checked and will be deported if refused.

But luckily we know 80% of deportation orders in the last few years have been ignored and the illegals are still here.

Wonder what the next spoof and spin will be.

They really aren’t getting the message, they think we are idiots and came down in the last shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not without consequences though. Ireland can of course walk away from its refugee commitments but it would be a very bad look for the country, especially when nearly every other EU state in western Europe is not doing this.

Also, what excuse could we use to do it? We're with of the richest countries in Europe and have a booming economy. Using the housing crisis would hardly wash - quite a few EU states are undergoing a housing / accommodation crisis at the moment, we're not the only ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If these gentlemen are Ukrainian citizens, they must be deported immediately and sent back to Ukraine to join the armed forces and repulse the Russians. Do their duty as citizens.

Mind you, Dwyer is hardly unbiased - is this video genuine?

Me too. I bet the coat I have costs half as much as his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It would look bad,

But we can walk away imposes new rules of our own

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

Leo varadkar talking about deportation happening to try to calm the angry population is something else. About 80 people actually deported. Close to 15,000 IP arrivals last year. It should be the other way around...80 accepted and the rest deported!

In fairness are they wrong?

A lot of people just watch RTE or listen to Newstalk and nod along happy enough to be spoon fed whatever propaganda is being touted. All the government have to do is throw out words like far right and racist whenever a concern is raised and the majority are scared into staying silent..

Thing is, it's totally possible those 3 have some documentation 'proving' they are Ukrainian. Remember, Ukraine has long been cited as one of the most corrupt countries in the world. It wouldn't take much for someone to setup a small ring of people either churning out fraudulent documents, or bribing a corrupt official to provide real ones.

Look at the difficulties the UK are having in trying to get away from their refugee commitments. Not even a member of the EU and yet they admit that trying to get out of longstanding refugee treaties is a massive / onerous task. There's talk that they might even have to leave the ECHR, which they have been a signatory to for 70 years, before they could 'legally' stop admitting refugees to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He isnt a journalist. He's a vicious racist thug who goes around abusing people and animals.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

He's a scumbag but he's at least Asking questions and getting answers other so called real journalists are afraid to

Post edited by Gatling on

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

Exactly. Are people claiming we have lost our sovereignty to some international agreement signed by some low level diplomats? We can withdraw or simply not comply and guess what, no real consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

I’ve never heard of him. Don’t even know what citizen journalist is. But i couldn’t imagine Kevin Doyle asking a question like that. Maybe that’s what’s wrong with all of this, the wrong people asking questions because the right people are afraid too.

Those 6 gentlemen are taking up 6 places that they have no right to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Even a **** can be right even if he spreads the info for the wrong reasons.

• Advertisement

We could hold a non-binding referendum on withdrawing from say, the 1951 Geneva Convention, similar to Brexit.

There are reams of material to work with insofar as campaign material for a yes vote.

Once that is in place, we would have the democratic legitimacy that the other side lacks.

Removing the offending legislation from our own statue books will probably bring us into conflict with the EU. But I don't believe the EU would relish being in a position of having to coerce Ireland into accepting people that the people of Ireland don't want. That would be a huge optics disaster for them. So at that point either the EU has to amend it's rules, or coerce Ireland. Not sure how that will play out - but you can be sure that there will be other countries in the EU that will join and support us.

Bring on Marine Le Pen!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

" I didn't even know Ukraine offered citizenship like that."

Ukraine is historically one of the most corrupt countries in Europe. It probably made economic sense for someone to head there from Kashmir and bung someone there a few thousand dollars for papers, or forgeries, and then fly here.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

In what way did the government mess up with Ukrainians? There was no allocation of Ukrainian refugees to each EU country. They were free to choose the country that they wanted to go to. If every single Ukrainian refugee had decided to come to Ireland, then we were obliged to accept them. Similarly, if every asylum seeker who makes their way to the EU or UK decides to come to Ireland, we are obliged to process their application.

Of course some will argue that Ireland's offering to Ukrainian refugees was more generous than that of other EU countries and that's why we received a disproportionate number compared to other countries on the far west of Europe. But if you argue that, then it's hard not to consider that our unwillingness/inability to deport failed asylum seekers and our promise of own door accommodation within four months are not significant pull factors for IPAs. Like Ukrainian refugees, asylum seekers will naturally seek out the country with the most generous offering. We'd all do the same of course. As countries like Denmark and Sweden continue to reduce their offering to asylum seekers, I think it's fair to assume that we will receive a greater proportion of the EU's asylum claims. And in the unlikely event that the UK ever gets the Rwanda plan off the ground, there will be even greater movement of asylum seekers from the UK to Ireland.

I've never seen him abuse anyone. I don't care about his personal life he asks the pertinent questions, you know like a journalist should.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

If you go to the convention and it’s signatories on the UN website, loads of countries have caveats attached outlining who they wouldn’t accept

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Denmark haven’t exactly become social pariahs within the EU. What do you think the negatives might be to them for opting out of their obligations?

Post edited by DebDynamite on

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Miharo

This is what I find most galling, the absolute distain they show to the public, i.e. Let's just keep repeating the same soundbites until we have them all brainwashed. To be fair it works on a fair amount of people. It seems like the vast majority can be made to believe anything once its repeated often enough.

When once in a blue moon some journalist will ask an uncomfortable question, they just waffle and answer a totally different question that wasn't asked to avoid answering it.

Like today on the radio McEntee completely avoided answering the question on the very low refusal rate and started waffling that there are a lot of myths around asylum, suggesting that this is one of them without outright saying this particular fact is not true.

Some uncomfortable facts for these spin merchants:

Everyone is absolutely not vetted. You cannot vet somebody who is lying about their identity.

Around 8% of asylum applications are refused after appeal. Compare this to France with a 92% refusal rate.

In 2022 precisely zero people were returned to an EU country in which they first claimed asylum under the Dublin Regulation. In 2021 it was 1.

These statistics are all available on Eurostat, an official EU website so if this is misinformation then the EU has been infiltrated by the far right who are publishing lies in the official statistics.

The acceptance criteria needs to be much tougher and they need to start deporting. They managed to deport a few thousand a year decade ago somehow so people saying this is not possible may also have succumbed to the far right and may be spreading misinformation.

Post edited by Miharo on

They haven't withdrawn from any refugee agreements though, it's more about implementation of existing laws.

There seems to be a lot of hot air around Denmark and refugees too. They are still taking plenty every year and have deported very few (not dissimilar to the UK and all its Rwanda stuff).

They deport plenty currently around 40% of failed asylum seekers...

Deport very few made that up yourself???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He isn't a journalist though. He is a racist who abuses animals and people.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement