Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you sort out Hospital A&E Crisis - Long waiting times- trolleys in corridor's etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

That's nice for them, in 2024 if you live in my catchment area your records are paper, and you'll be bringing your green file of notes with you for every appointment.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

4 hospitals, and specifically maternity records.

Digital records are something that would make life easier for everyone, patients, doctors, nurses, clerical. But it's not something that is widely used. Or used at all in many hospitals.

The fact the HSE still relies heavily on paper charts was hailed as ideal during the cyber attack!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've no idea how it's progressed since 2018. My main point was that those coming up with 'great ideas' from the outside have no clue about the limitations and resources that create challenges for those great ideas. I often wonder why so many people are convinced that they're experts in managing and running services that they know nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Those in positions to change the HSE haven't done much of a great job so far, have they? Sometimes the most simplistic plan can be a catalyst for greater things.

Your post is quite condescending tbh.

I don't disagree with you. If it was that easy to run and the solutions were all that simple there wouldn't be any problems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

sometimes things are thought out too much and over-complicate things. I have seen many an issue resolved in businesses with some of the simplest ideas imposed and a "why didnt we think of that before" or "I wish we tried that out sooner - works much better"

I wonder if the Insurance issues could be to be blamed on the crises. If people have attended A&E with so and so issue and would have been instances where they have been sent home early to help alleviate long waiting times and heavily overloaded emergency department and the person they have sent home have got worse, or even died, and then they are issued with lawsuits from eager solicitors that this could be a reason that people are not just told to go home and contact their GP in the morning for minor ailments?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Floppybits

You see this a lot in IT, were guys come in with the most complicated of solutions to some problems and then when implemented can cause more of a headache that the original issue because it is so complex that it makes it harder to fix and then you fix one thing and it has a knock on effect on others. Most of the best solutions are simple ones, easy to implement and fix which is just as important.

Not saying the complex are not needed, they are but there is a time and place for them. The problem within in the health service is the amount of organisations and people with skin in the game that would maybe see their sphere if influence diminish or lose out on money and they can and have put blockers to progress in the way. The best chance of reforming the health service was back when the HSE was being formed and the health boards were being moved under the one roof, then was time streamline things and put in proper practices but FF got scared and decided there would be no redundancies or changes and now we have ideas of being mooted of splitting the HSE back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭csirl

Echo those who say simplist solutions are sometimes the best.

The thread is specifically about A&E. Last time I was in A&E in a major Dublin hospital - with a child with a broken bone - it was a 14hr wait. There was one single doctor on duty who everyone, including the nurses, were waiting on. Logically 2 doctors would half the waiting time.

How much would an extra doctor or two in each large A&E department cost? Miniscule % of HSE budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Had the same experience in the Rotunda a few years ago. My wife thought she was having a miscarriage as she thought she was hemorrhaging so off we went to the Rotunda and we were told that there was a wait because the Dr on Duty was dealing with a problem on the ward. This was the only Dr on duty.

19 hour wait for seriously ill man at Emergency Department of Sligo University Hospital

https://www.facebook.com/oceanfmireland/posts/pfbid02C3us92gXJfMi2Ls9BfaUwtWfH5Guweer57JghCn29y4xm1rHG1z9SYC7VrGHThXCl

• Advertisement

I cannot understand why more people are not complaining to their local TD's about the situation of their local hospital ED waiting times?

Sure people claim the fault lies with government themselves or the health misters but a lot of elected TD's if not all of them have a regular Surgery in towns or villages for people to pop in and chat about current affairs and problems including long waiting times in their local hospitals and getting the local TD's to investigate and get back to people why there are such long waits and other problems?

they are quick enough to come round the houses when they are looking for votes, they are quick to tackle complaints about roads that have no crossing near schools or have not been gritted or full of potholes but I don't hear regular much about them talking of issues in the health service on the radio and tv news about the issues in the local hospitals and long waiting times and people waiting hours on trollies. - maybe if the local TD's did get more active in getting the hospitals accountable and trying to get the waiting times down and people on trollies into wards then maybe when it comes to election times and local election times that might be something to add a string to their bow to say "we helped sort out the issues in the local hospital" would have a nice ring to it on their local posters and canvassing leaflets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭kirving

I've been in A&E a good few times over the past few years, VHI clinics, and had 4 General Anesthetic surgeries. (Don't go mountain biking...)

Of the unplanned visits, I was always the most urgent patient there and never had to wait.

For A&E specifically, the absolutely overwhelming issue in my experience is that 75% of the people there shouldn't be anywhere near a hospital. A&E doctors are dealing with almost every social problems in existence before they ever get to treating actual medical conditions.

I honestly am not being facetious when I say that a good first step would be to have a minibus set up at each overcrowded A&E dept, which would take people to their local GP, small injury clinic, pharmacist, homeless shelter, or just back home to sleep it off.

For A&E specifically, the absolutely overwhelming issue in my experience is that 75% of the people there shouldn't be anywhere near a hospital

This was very evident when COVID hit, and a lot of the frequent fliers (yes, ED has 'regulars') didn't want to come to the hospital. ED was pretty much empty, apart from genuine emergency cases that absolutely needed to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭csirl

All very well if you have a 24/7 GP service or this mhytical creature called a "small injury clinic". I live in a large surburb of Dublin where none of these services exist. Child breaks a bone playing sport on a Saturday - GP doesnt open until Monday morning and won"t xray/set a broken bone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MrRigsby

A & E departments need to stop accepting drunks . When Gardai find drunks they call for an emergency ambulance. In most other countries the drunk is taken into custody . The ambulance and health services are too overstretched to be doing the work of Gardai who can’t be bothered to deal with drunks and more importantly sort out the pubs who literally serve people until they fall over on a regular basis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭kirving

So, very clearly someone who should be in A&E...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A large part of that is GPs not doing their job properly and or they fear being sued, they send too many to A&E an amount who attend A&E should be stopped for attending and directed elsewhere, but the thing is where should they be directed?

On the other hand the Christmas before last I heard of someone who would not go to A&E because of what they were hearing about overcrowding now they could have gotten even more seriously ill or even died but the doctor or their family could not persuade them to go a big factor was scaremongering by the media and ridiculous message by the HSE for people not to attend A&E

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

As a doctor once told me half of the b---ers have no need to be there at all. An AI based doctor system to triage incoming an send them home with an asprin/bandage/placebo rapid. O of course a legal change to cover vexatious suing

GP won't xray/set a broken bone anyway. True. So you'd bring the child to ED. So whether the child's broken bone happens on a Saturday or a Monday afternoon you'd be bringing them to ED rather than the GP.

I think this is a large part of it the huge fear that someone is much worse than they appear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

There's actually several injury units around the country for sports related injuries such as broken bones.

Most are open 8am to 8pm even on weekends.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/injury-units/?service_area=Roscommon

Unfortunately, my experience there a few months ago was on par with the regular A&E minus the drunks. Oversubscribed by genuine people with broken bones, sprains etc, but one radiographer who took an hour lunch break with no cover, and 2 doctors running it. This was in Cork city. Total wait to exit was 6 hours. Again, totally understaffed and mismanaged imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I wouldn’t expect hospitals to be getting better. Look at the number of old folk homes closed over the last year and turned into asylum/refugee centres. There must be absolutely no space left to get the bed blockers out of hospital beds.

Also the idea of putting public patients into private hospitals is not workable long term. Private hospital beds are for private patients, the Covid situation was an emergency and there were less elective surgeries. People pay for private heath care because the public system has an unending list, and the medical card free for all that has gone on was never sustainable. It’s not the population increase but the number of medical cards issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Not being smart here but have you been to a local TD for anything, they don’t want to know about doing anything and all they want is to be on a committee for something or other in the dail, we went to the local TD 4 years ago to see could anything be done for our sick daughter on the waiting list for Crumlin. He said he would help and look into it straight away and come back to us and would definitely help as my father was in the local cuman with his father years ago, met him at a funeral two months ago and he came over due the company I was in and started talking and I thanked he him for all the help he didn’t give with our daughter and that she was still going through the hospital, he was trying to all apologetic and he had wanted to come back to us but, but,but, he couldn’t Evan remember which hospital. He went off discussed when one of the lads said to him he was a waste of space. TD is only out for one thing and that is himself and the gravy train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

What your saying is 100% true, local drunk lad in his forties has being taken in the ambulance six times in the last year off the country road when he falls down drunk after getting his daily quota in the local centra he goes to everyday and lies down on the road or in the ditch the Garda are sent for by people on the road, they come ring for the ambulance to take him away and just before Christmas he done it again and the ambulance came and refused to take him as the crew had taken him 3 times previously and the Garda had take him to the barracks and let him sleep it off. This is a total waste of an ambulance and he has bragged that when is brought to hospital the same ambulance brings him home from the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jebus, where you do even begin with this!

yup, outsourcing elderly care has failed....

no all such properties have been converted to such....

yup, expansion or lack of, capacity within our health care system has failed....

use of private hospital worked reasonable well during covid, so no reason why it could again...

just cause you ve paid extra for health care, doesnt mean you should have greater access to such care over others, this could be deemed being 'entitled'....

...maybe, just maybe, its actually the actions of the privatisation of elements of our health care system has in fact actually undermined our ability to provide adequate public care, maybe....

....most citizens dont actually have a medical card....

...increasing population has clearly added to this, as all humans need health care, so....

...maybe our health care system isnt adequately reacting to his actual needs, in particular his psychological needs, i.e. addiction and mental health issues etc...

What did you want him to do? Jump the waiting list for you? This is how the system is abused somewhat, with queue jumpers and everyone not getting their fair turn.

(And I've had a child who went through Crunlin hospital for 10 years, so understand the issues when waiting with a child).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Well during Covid elective procedures were cancelled, that’s another reason for the huge backlog. Buying private beds is only possible if the private hospital agrees, which they have little incentive to do. They got more money from private procedures. It’s always been like this, hip replacements can take years for public versus months for private but it’s an incentive to get health insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yup, its a mess, both systems are probably negatively impacting the other now...

Advertisement