Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like the fabled "next Trek movie" might have inched a little closer: Haynes was primary director on Andor, so that's a big pip in his cap; he also directed a bunch of Black Mirror episodes back in the day. Quite surprised to hear Trek 4 is still in active development though.

Obviously the new movie being an "origin story" of the Federation is more than a little eye-rolling, given hello - Enterprise anyone? But arguably that show ended just as things might have got truly interesting so a film version - complete with Scott Bakula as Admiral Archer? - taking over isn't an ostensibly terrible idea either.

Even as it continues to develop the final chapter in its main Star Trek series, Paramount is looking to further explore the IP. The studio has tapped Toby Haynes to direct a new film that expands on the Star Trek universe, with Seth Grahame-Smith penning the script. J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot is producing.

Sources tell Deadline that while plot details are being kept under wraps, the project is an origin story that takes place decades before the 2009 Star Trek film that rebooted the franchise. Insiders add that the final chapter in that main series, Star Trek 4, remains in active development.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

S5 of Ent was supposed to start to cover the romulan war and start of the federation, wasn't it?

The ENT books, Birth of the Federation are some of the best trek books imho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Andor was pretty good, so not a bad pick. But I take announcements of any Trek movie with enough salt to season a thousand dinners. If it happens I'd be surprised, and if they have any cop-on they'll link it with Enterprise, which is as far as I can gather is the only Trek show that still slots in with every iteration of Trek made so far, even the JJ-verse.

Interesting that they say the Paramount "continue to develop" Season 5 of Discovery (I assume that is what they mean by the "main Star Trek series"). Wasn't this pretty much ready to go last year? Didn't they just need to make some reshoots to allow for a finale? What is happening there?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,579 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I thought they meant the JJ film series.

Even though as a prequel it will be prime universe I would assume that the art direction will be that awful JJTrek shte as Bad Robot are involved.

Like yourself though I will believe a new movie is coming only once production starts.

"Even as it continues to develop the final chapter in its main Star Trek series..."

My guess is they're referring to Discovery. It's the only thing we know for sure is finishing up now. It's still a bit wierd to see anyone potentially refer to Discovery as Trek's "Main Series" as if the show somehow earned the title of Brand Flagship, much like TNG was during its run. Problem is, it technically has been Trek's flagship and has been running throughout the time we've all been watching much better uses of the Trek IP.

We are indeed in a strange time where what I would regard to be Trek's poorest showing has been the standard barer of the franshise while the "Spin-off" content actually did a much better job at creating enjoyable Trek for the fans.

Back in the day it used to be other way around. TNG was the real Trek, while that wierd DS9 show on the space station hung onto its coat-tails. Then when DS9 came out from TNG's shadow, you had Voyager trying it's damdest to recreate TNG's magic...only to end up hanging onto DS9 and TNG's coat-tails.

I fully expect a 2024 where you'll have the likes of Screen Rant / Trek Culture screaming from the rooftops about how "important" and "ground-breaking" Discovery has been, and then dane to compare it with good Trek from the past. Then the finale will come, and the same sources will "celebrate" Burnham, & overblow a sense of loss and tears that is all over!

Then it will be done, and when the dust settles I suspect people in short order will begin to forget about this show. Other Trek shows may come and will (hopefully) be better, but this half-cooked Trek Antology experiment will be relegated to the dustbin of Trek that fans have a knack of skipping over, like Fairhaven, or Shades of Grey. And then when you ask of Discovery in years to come you might hear someone say:

"Oh that show. The one with the Mushroom Ship? Yea...didn't really watch much of it...."

• Advertisement

Disco will have it's diehard fanbase like Enterprise does but that will be all. Both are stories disconnected from the other shows (same as the cartoons and JJTrek) so can be ignored easier than something like Voyager.

Its fans will say it's important "important" because it launched the new Trek era but outside of SNW I think this would have happened anyway because Paramount desperately needed to milk it's flagship IPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

As a follow up to earlier posts.

Toby Haynes “begged” to direct Trek episode of Black Mirror

At the end of 2017, the highly acclaimed Netflix anthology series Black Mirror released “USS Callister,” an homage to Star Trek complete with extended sections set on a starship (the USS Callister) in a very Star Trek-like universe. With a runtime of 76 minutes, “USS Callister” is more of a TV movie.

@pixelburp Not just any episode of 'Black Mirror' but an Iconic award winning episode!

it earned 7 Emmy nominations and 4 wins, including Outstanding Television Movie of 2018. It was nominated for several other awards, including a Hugo and a BAFTA

Although the discussed spin-off never came to fruition.

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Finished it myself over the weekend (enjoyed it, especially his early life/career) but I found it interesting that..

... the way Picard S3 ended wasn't actually what he had suggested/planned and that instead of the "TNG crew play poker and have some laughs" ending we got, it was more like the S2 ending where he's back in the vineyard and called to dinner by someone (left vague - Is it Beverly? Laris? Other?). The intent being that Picard himself finally gets a happy ending as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yeah I remember reading that elsewhere. Much prefer the ending we got. As much as I love Stewart and his portrayal of Picard over the decades, the chap needs to be kept away from the writing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I will believe it once olI see the official trailer hopefully on two to three years time. 2026 would be perfect with it being the 60th anniversery of Star Trek.

I really hope we get something big that year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

"decades before the 2009 Star Trek" is an interesting way to put it in terms of the Kelvin timeline. Decades before the 2009 film, they'd be the same place.

The quote Pixelburp added makes clear that they're talking about JJ Star Trek 4 with work continuing on the main series: "Insiders add that the final chapter in that main series, Star Trek 4, remains in active development."

Are we sure this other film is a cinema movie? Maybe a direct to streaming thing instead?

Maybe:

Follow up to Star Trek: Enterprise with Archer etc (streaming film)

USS Kelvin with Hemsworth (movie film)

"Decades before 2009 Star Trek" ....technically... a Strange New Worlds film? (could be either)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The other key consideration we can't know: what kind of film is being talked about here? Not just whether it's streaming vs. cinema release - but in terms of budget & ethos; the expectations therein.

Cos this Federation: the College Years prequel idea is either gonna be some $150+ million blockbuster monstrosity, which sets up crazy projections and potentially braindead entertainment ala 2009 - or it'll be some "modest" sub 100 million dollar movie that might have creative wriggle room to tell a vaguely mature story without the need for action set-pieces or "four quadrant" appeal.

I hope it's the latter, but it doesn't seem like Hollywood has quire realised there's still a market for the medium-budgeted feature for adults. I Fear we'll get another big splashy blockbuster.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've zero interest in a Starfleet Academy / Section 31 / JJ Trek 4 movie to be honest.

Of the new series, the best (IMO) have been Lower Decks and Prodigy which continue the TNG/Post VOY era but have managed to move that universe forward while still respecting the 3 series from that time.

A lot will call out SNW but I struggled with the last season (it started well and ended well but very mediocre in between for the most part). I don't like the new interpretation of Spock, and I just think Anson Mount would have been better as a new captain in that post VOY world rather than once again rebooting the past.

New Spock is acted well but the comedy and romance situations they have put him in have easily been the worst part of that show. I completely zone out anytime T'Pring is on screen.

And Chapel who is one of the shows best characters is dragged down by all this puppy dog pining for Spock.

Am no fan of any plot that amounts to Unrequited Love 'cos invariably all the longing looks and pining gets tedious, but at least in Season 2 it seems like they're moving Chapel on from that & letting her find her own way; I did like her and Spock's patter though - so hopefully they remember to keep that and the characters can move on as friends.

Also, gotta be contrary and say that broadly, I've loved the comedy episodes of SNW & the Spock-centric stuff quite fun & breezy. Maybe just cos PIcard & Disco were always so self-serious, watching a Trek show that remembered the franchise often let loose was a nice tonic. Except the musical episode: that can burn in a fire and should never be referenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well I'll say Those Old Scientists was the piece of television I enjoyed the most out of everything I watched in 2023.

I'll make an exception for that episode but only because it's a sorta Lower Decks episode so the comedy doesn't seem as out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Picard had a fantastic send off with S3. That should be that.

Kelvin universe can only begin with the arrival of Nero to change the timeline, so everything before that is Prime timeline. They better not fcuk that up.

I can live with Kelvinverse precisely because it's a different verse. And I say that as someone who enjoyed the reboot films.

Origin of the Federation ? -why!

Just give me prime timeline post Voyager. Just continue that timeline, same as Lower Decks. (Which I'd argue has turned out to absolutely fantastic Trek)

No sure why the big wigs are so convinced we want a Section31 movie or academy series. Nobody I know is actively wanting that.

All Eyes On Rafah

Sassy girl boss Space Hitler and all that S31 and mirror universe camp shte was very popular with the vocal diehard Disco fans. And in a rare stopped clock moment they could see that Michelle Yeoh was a great asset to milk.

I don't think it will happen now tbh. All these spin offs and announcements are reminiscent of a bunch of stoners throwing out "ideas" in a drug haze.

A really interesting phenomenon in new Trek is their ability to create exceptional characters for captains but then also waste them.

Georgiou (what little we saw), Lorca, Shaw, Rios, Saru and Pike. With the exception of Pike all were figuratively or literally gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Celmullet

Used Star Trek Prodigy as a gateway drug to get my other half to start watching, we are now into Voyager after having less than no interest in watching any of the shows with me before. I call this a win!

• Advertisement

That’s got me thinking again. How to go forward with Trek without having to mine the past of the franchise for any story gaps to exploit. How to avoid being mired in prequel territory for another 20 years or without resorting to setting everything in the Burnham-tastic 31st Century?

For good Trek I feel a return to episodic exploration adventures is key. SNW shows us that it can still work, but now we just need them to do it after Picard.

Could we maybe get a new Trek show where they try to go back to the Gamma Quadrant and explore Odo’s take on the Dominion? Perhaps even a show where they attempt to launch over to a another galaxy and all of the issues that could come with that?

Basically, I’d love some new Trek, that isn’t a prequel and can give us a good weekly adventure for the ship’s crew to sort out. We kind of get that with Lower Decks which I think is part of why I love it so much.

I think the past shows have kinda been part of the "problem" here. the galaxy feels smaller post Nemesis for all that has been explored, exploited - or I just rendered dead thanks to the Borg. Not so much that there are no new tales to tell, but just hard to insert something fresh into a place so definitively mapped out.

Even a supposedly seismic change like Romulus getting exploded did nothing to the status quo - though to be fair it could be a good jumping off point for a new show. Battlestar Galactica, only with a Romulan fleet searching for a new home. The make up budget wouldn't be too bad for your main cast.

The Romulan end of things does bring up one idea: The Beta Quadrant.

It’s been touched upon a good bit in the Klingon Empire, Romulus pretty much anything near the Neutral Zone, but we’ve rarely seen Trek go too deeply into the Beta Quadrant.

It could be an ideal setting for some new Trek adventures, since the other quadrants have been pretty much done so far. (Maybe not Gamma as much)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Funnily enough, I think prior to DS9, there were probably more stories set in the Beta quadrant than the Alpha quadrant. Earth straddles the border of the quadrants with Federation space divided roughly equally between the two. Vulcans, Andorians, Klingons, Romulans, Gorn all reside in the Beta quadrant. Fairly sure most of Kirk's 5 year mission would have been exploring the Beta quadrant based on the species encountered. It was really DS9 that brought the action firmly into the Alpha quadrant with the Cardassians being the first major Alpha quadrant villains after the Ferengi. And at that point the writers decided to use the term "Alpha quadrant" synonymously with "Federation space" to avoid confusing audiences.

Interestingly enough, I've seen fan discussion that suggests convincingly enough that Voyager entered the Beta quadrant during season 7 (when it was 30,000 LY from Earth) but the writers continued referring to it as the Delta quadrant to avoid confusion.

Of course the galaxy is huge and all the quadrants have barely been explored.

Based on some (non-canon) maps of Voyager’s journey that I’ve seen, it looked like Voyager was just short of the Beta Quadrant border by the time of Endgame.

I guess as you suggested, the show only ever mentioned the Delta Quadrant to avoid confusion but also possibly because Voyager was the «Delta Quadrant Show».

Showing her enter the Beta Quadrant kind of ends that theme, and also places the ship in the same quadrant as Federation space. They might have only been 4 - 5 years out from the outermost Federation outposts, like Jouret IV (assuming it was rebuilt after BoBW). Then Voyager would be less «stranded» in deep space, and more on the return leg of a long term exploration cruise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I'm pretty sure Voyager did have mentions of the Beta Quadrant being part of their eventual journey but the never got there because of Endgame.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah on balance of things looks like they just reached the border of the Beta Quadrant. I think it would be nice if "Endgame" had opened with the ship celebrating the achievement of making it from the Delta quadrant to the Beta quadrant on its own accord before the Deus Ex Machina solution that brought them the rest of the way home. Then again, there's a whole ton of things I can think of that would have made the ending more satisfying.

The entire Borg arc (post 8472) of Voyager would need to change for me to like the ending.

Queen Vs Janeway turned her into some sort of super hero and stretched the indestructibility of Voyager way beyond belief.

Found a channel doing some DIY upscaling, and god damn DS9 was such a characters-first show. This episode was the single moment I went "oh, this is actually a really good show" when I finally gave the series a good shakedown. Especially as the truth of the prisoner started to eek out; absolutely glorious stuff.

The cardassians remain such a fabulous "villain" species, for the single reason they never once thought or acted like one. But all we get now are the space vikings, it's definitely a huge problem with sticking with the prequel era - they can't use the cardassians (right?)

• Advertisement

Why the hell would that scene ever need upscaling. That scene is one of the great examples of why Star Trek disappeared up its own wormhole with JJ and Discovery by focusing on effects over substance.

Advertisement