Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Pilot Training Programme

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BOR95

did anyone get a rejection email ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BOR95

Did anyone get a rejection email?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Shoden

Not yet anyway, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭GTTDI GOD

Just got an email for invite! Hard luck to those that haven’t got through this time, keep at it! This is my 6th attempt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭MarkN

Fair play to you. Got my PFO last week. Had been practicing the cut-e for months but was my first time.

Best of luck with the rest of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Irishhumanbeing

Anyone know what will be involved in the group assessment? What kind of questions etc will be asked/ if it will be similar to the online tests we did?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TestPilot007

How did we all get on? Few tricky points in the final interview for me but overall an enjoyable day and it left me with a good impression of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AnthonyGrady

Hello, great to see someone who passed the tests!

Just wondering have you previous flying experience or what is it you think that made you progress in the process?

Would love any tips for the future as its really hard to find people who have succeeded in this!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Staunton96

I know many who got through and almost all had PPLs, the one that didn't had hours under her belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭MarkN

Good luck to all involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Just curious, with all the testing, is there a bias towards females now i.e. could a female have a better chance of getting in, even if performing less well in the tests, or is it black and white at that point i.e. encourage females, but no special treatment following application?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭StephenRy30

Anyone know what a roster would be like for a pilot? Do you get much time off or do you work crazy hours . Do you spend alot of time away from family? . Would you ever be able to work 1 week on 1 off ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Most airline crew only actually fly 3/4 days a week, sometimes 5. Followed by 3/4 days off. This varies airline to airline.

The days you are working can be long, and can mean staying overnight somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Aer Lingus standard short haul roster is 5/3 (5 on, 3 off). Days can be long, especially during the summer roster period. Part time is available in seniority, on each fleet and in each seat, but you have to be quite senior to get it. 1 week on/ 1 week off doesn't exist currently and unlikely to do so in the foreseeable. Overnights are part of the roster, but there's not that many and you can bid for (or not for) them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

There's a concerted effort to attract females to apply, in the same way that Aer Lingus are continuing to push the cadetship - they want people who would perhaps not consider flying (whether for financial or other reasons) to be in a position to become an airline pilot. Once the application is in, the same standards apply regardless of who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

To put more meat on the bones. When under training you can be rostered up to 6 consecutive days eg: as a new joiner, 320 to 330 CCQ or command upgrade for example etc. As stated above the short haul roster is a fixed pattern 5 on 3 off. There is a bidding system for pilots for work. It has been called many things. The most polite would be a preferential bidding system. You can bid for trips, overnights, destination countries, doubles, singles - pretty much anything. More senior folk would be expected to get more of their bids than a new joiner or junior colleague. Nothing is guaranteed with the roster apart from the days off you are due. The 5 on 3 off pattern is subject to "flex" which you can bid for or be directed to in inverse seniority. A flex roster can reduce your days off to 2 and last a full roster period (4 weeks). So you could be doing weeks of 5 on 2 off. Then you pick up where your 5/3 pattern would have been once the flex roster is completed. Some people get away with easy flex rosters and others find themselves fatigued irrespectrive of which seat they are in. So the "fixed pattern" sales blurb is a bit of a misnomer if you ask me as you could be dumped with a flex roster. Having some seniority might insulate you somewhat from its affects but eventually everyone has to take their turn and do flex which can destroy any long term plans you might have had. You can swap duties which might dig you out of a hole if required but is not guaranteed obviously and sometimes easier said than done eg: trying to get off on a weekend, or swapping during the summer when many people will be maxed out on hours so the swap may not be legal.

The 330 is a random roster. You can bid for trips, destinations, days off and just about any combination thereof. An east coast trip is rostered a minimum of two days off. West coast 4 days. The 330 does a fair amount of flying in europe during the summer with morning rotations to Malaga and Faro before returning to Dublin and heading to the USA again in the afternoon. Summer 330 rosters can be killers. Up to 6 days work with early morning starts to Malaga followed by an East Coast trip to JFK, BOS or ORD wouldn't be all that uncommon. Its not uncommon for the 330 to be tasked to cover for breakdowns if an airframe is idle and crews available across the short haul network. Winter is quiet for the most part so the rosters are a lot lighter. Some lucky folk have been seeing the RHS of the 330 inside a few years. Command on 330 is well over 20 years. I think its actually closer to 25 but if you are joining later in life then bear that in mind.

Part time is generally available in the RHS and from what I hear has historically been undersubscribed. The part time days are attached to your normal "free days". An example would be 4 on 4 off with the associated salary drop. In the LHS on the 320 (short haul) you won't see it without 20 years of service presently.

Advertisement