Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

The GFS continuing to throw up wild scenarios that evolve substantially with each run.

There's lessons even the most passive model observers know from ALL warm summer or cold winter spells, when models struggle to reach consensus they immediately try pulling the Atlantic back into play.

Its a bit like setting a computer to default settings, let’s see how this afternoons runs roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

The heights over Greenland are much more amplified on this GFS control run, bringing it more in line with the ECM. 06z (bottom) compared to 06z (top) and hinting at a less mobile Atlantic later next week. As ever, I will await the ensembles to see what the overall trend is.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm liking ECMWF ensembles today, less mild options up to Friday, mainly dry down South but that change, as many always say, get the cold in first and I'll happily take cold frosty and dry weather over mild muck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

So what's happening now?

Should I get on the hype train to Icyville or the depondancy bus back into Damptown?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I ordered a couple of sledges for the kids yesterday and then I checked here to see the Atlantic coming back and mild weather being discussed! I may have jinxed it for ye all

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

Looks like the GEFS will show a third cold upgrade in a row. Colder than the 0z, 18z and 12z.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Registered Users Posts: 24,037 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The balance of probability favours the return of zonal muck in 6-7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭joinme

It's more like the slow train .....

to snow-wheresville!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

This thread would have reaching for the Solphadene to ease the pain. Up and down like a yo-yo 🙁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Loooonnng time lurker like so many others on here. Thanks to all for your ongoing insights, fascinating stuff!

Following these last 2 weeks in particular is like an abusive relationship, I just can't stay away 😢 😂

Hoping for snow 🌨

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am going to create a new gofundme page to buy a large snow maker machine. Please donate generously.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Clare (410ft asl)

A greater number of colder (and some very cold) 850hpa showing up amongst the GEFS members in the 06z run compared to the 00z run. A 5-7 day cold spell is currently indicated by the model. Again, I am hesitant to speculate about snowfall potential (of which there is some) until closer to the time. It's important to get the cold in and assess 2-3 snow potential from model output this weekend as we get closer to the event.

For those who do not know, hPA stands for hecto Pascal which is a unit to measure air pressure. The 850 hPa temperature or '850s' you see us reference here is the temperature at about 1500m/5000ft. It is a much better guide for assessing potential cold spells as it is not affected by ground topography or sea temperatures which can influence ground level air temps. 850s of -5c or lower are generally regarded as conducive, along with a host of other factors, including precipitation, dew temps etc, for snowfall. Occasionally, especially in mid-winter, the -5c bar is negated by other factors like evaporative cooling, lapse rates etc. More here - https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2056524447/why-we-use-850hpa-temperature-charts

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

@WolfeEire I haven't the foggiest idea regarding the weather and what all the models entail, I just love the winter and a bit of snow (especially when my kids get to see it) you have in the past week made it more understandable, so thanks a million for what you do on here 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

Bbc 24 forecasters who's service is provided by meteogroup are now expecting the system next week to head into France

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Well good sign for longevity of cold.

Still cant see the Atlantic coming through as strong as GFS supports in second half of next week.

I saw 3 magpies and a crow playing with a red squirrel who was wearing wolly socks. Excellant sign for Highs strengthening into Greenland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The 3 magpies also mean you will be having a baby girl soon. Congrats.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Be lads having canaries if thi cold potential doesn't materialise.

Well the longer the cold is in place the greater the GB snow cover and the lower their surface air will be if we get pleasured with an Easterly or northeasterly and thats the missing ingredient vs other notable Snowy spells

Both the UKMO and meteogroup have an occlusion heading into Scotland Tuesday or Wednesday with a mild sector that cuts off the cold for a while prior to anything coming up from tge southwest

It's better then that the adores low goes into France as it won't be cold enough for many more people yet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This might sound very foolish but I disagree with that Tamara lady about discounting means because we are in an unusual situation, intuition and past experience would suggest that if systems keep coming the milder air will eventually win out almost everywhere, except maybe for Scotland. I will be happy if we can get a few days of snow prior to any milder return. Which hopefully would be brief, if the likes of Glosea are right about blocking returning in February . Then lets get a robust high into Greenland or Scandinavia to open the snow gates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Icon looking good so far..

potentially a north easterly evolving day 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Honestly, it's not just her, but every phantom cold spell over the last 5 years has had the same wordy spoofers on Netweather saying "this time is really it" because (a load of gibberish nobody can understand).

As I said before, all the wordy nonsense about background drivers is still just coming out of the same model runs. It's using model output to verify the same model output, total nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

The 12z is rolling out, not great.

Turns even worse:

Clare (410ft asl)

A very cold looking UKMO (top image). The Gem and GFS operational runs are not as cold, but based on the ensembles rolled out so far the Op is milder than the average of all members (see bottom image), so it is on a par with the 06z.

Colder weather is certainly on the way from Sunday evening through much of the coming week. There is a risk of a battleground situation midweek (southern areas most at risk) but generally, there is a rather unstable airflow presented that will produce disturbances and wintry outbreaks at times. Again, nailing the specifics of these is a fool's errand this far out.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

The UKMO is a very Snowy scene for next Thursday in Ulster and the west and maybe Midlands in a returning artic northwesterly

It also looks like it woukd progress to an artic northeasterly plastering everyone else as the low in the north sea drops further

There's more in this chase yet folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

An entertaining GFS . OK upto d6, after that it's let the local primary school kids finish it..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It would be very nice if the ECM followed the UKMO it would give you a bit more confidence that the GFS is off on one. Tonight's ECM could be crucial. This is my first time ever saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

This is starting to sound like the COVID.

"The next 2 weeks are crucial"

😂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement