Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dylanyahoo

How about keeping up with the minimum wage increase? Because that went up over 12.3% in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭crinkley

personally I have no issue with narrowing the pay gap for the lowest paid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Kevin Callinan made this point on RTE radio. Referenced the % increases in minimum wage & social welfare payments. He has a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

The 8.5% being quoted is misleading as it includes the sectoral bargaining provision - which may not necessarily be given as a general increase. 7% over 2.5 years is more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Looks like the government are playing hardball like the UK Government. Kevin Callinan may start ringing his friend in the RMT Mick Lynch for tips on how to win public sympathy on the picket line....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,466 ✭✭✭✭noodler

12% for lower paid apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Francis McM

RTE is heavily unionised had has a public sector outlook. It is subsidised by the taxpayer and has security from government. RTE is not private sector. Ryan Tubs thought he was worth the salary RTE was paying him, now in the real world he is working for a fraction of that - and probably glad to get it. Lesson there somewhere.

And you ask if you "want unionised in the private sector and campaign for improvements, what do you suggest". I suggest you are 40 /45 years too late, as lots of people then did join unions in the private sector, threatened to go or did go on strike etc but the firms either closed down or else relocated elsewhere in the world. The vast bulk of the 1.8 million people (or whatever) in the private sector now are not in unions.

When you look at everything you buy or bought, from your phone to the I.T. to your clothes to your holidays to the house you live in to your food to your retail purchases to your entertainment / social spending etc, what % of the workers there are or were in unions? F. all. And there is a reason. Unionised firms could not compete.  

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

Initial Government offer was 7.5% over 2.5 years, then increased to 8.5% over 2.5 years. Breakdown is below.

• 1.5pc or a minimum of €750 from March 1 this year
    • 2pc from October 1 this year
    • 1pc on March 1 next year
    • 1.5pc or a minimum of €750 on August 1 2025
    • 1.5pc on February 1, 2026
    • plus 2pc paid in a “local bargaining” clause to deal with other claims

The Union were right to turn that down. It is pathetic. 3.5% this year, majority of it coming in the last 3 months, so behind inflation and losing purchasing power again. Nothing back-dated either despite taking a 9.5% real wage cut from 2021-2023. For a 10 month period there 02/10/24 to 31/07/2025 there's a1% increase. Who thinks that's what inflation will be across a 10-month stretch like that including the winter months?!

I would gain respect for the Unions if they sezied the initiative here, pulled out of talks, and balloted for industrial action.

5 months to local and european elections. Lot of people will remember what they employer thought of them and thought they were worth at the ballot box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

No I don’t think it does. It’s just the breakdown was originally 7.5% and they upped it by 1% we just didn’t get an updated breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

He was a private contractor. He WAS private sector

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭solidasarock

Yeah. Screw that. Happy they turned that down.

That just looks exactly like the previous lackluster deal but with a loner timeframe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

• 1.5pc or a minimum of €750 from March 1 this year
    • 2pc from October 1 this year
    • 1pc on March 1 next year
    • 1.5pc or a minimum of €750 on August 1 2025
    • 1.5pc on February 1, 2026
    • plus 2pc paid in a “local bargaining” clause to deal with other claims

the above adds upto 9.5% not 8.5%, so the offer is even less than the above detail. Hard to see an agreement without some industrial action imo

He was working for RTE, which is subsidised by the government / taxpayer and has security from government. The majority of RTÉ's activities are of a public service nature. Tubs had the same mentality as most of those in RTE and though he was worth what he was paid there.

Now he has walked in to the private sector and only earns a fraction ( rumoured 50 to 70k a year), and probably glad to get it.

Do you think if the government gives pay rises it should be paid by

(a) cuts in services

(b) extra government borrowing, to be repaid plus interest by our grandkids

(c) extra taxation - how exactly?

Cool, so I can ask (from my employer) to pay me the same as the contractors in here? If contractors are seen as the going rate.

Bumper raise for me

Here is the REAL reason you are posting bile. You just don't want public sector workers getting a fair slice. Your mask is slipping

Do you think if the government gives pay rises it should be paid by

(a) cuts in services

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

It's above what I thought they would offer. I think 8.5% is not bad. Obviously i'd take more if offered. My bigger issue would be the length of the agreement.

8.5% over two years would be better. Would have to see 10% to commit to 2.5 year agreement.

It's a good starting point at least.

^^^^^^^

Jesus Christ, no wonder the unions didn't advertise it.

There are always some who think an effective paycut is a fine deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's the 2.5 years is the catch here. I'd have happily taken this over 2 years. 2.5 isn't doable though.

I can see govt. coming back with 2 years as they stare down the barrel of possible industrial action.

I think that anything over 8 percent would pass over 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

its a pathetic offer. as others have pointed out an increase of 1% over a 10month period for a part of it. DPER have no intention of doing a deal with this offer and they knew the unions would run a mile from it. No matter how they try to spin it to their journalist pals there is now way any union could recommend this "offer" to their members without risking half of them stopping their subs to make up for the loss of purchase power with inflation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭bren2001

I really don't care when people say "you're getting an X raise". If the headline said "4% in Year 1 and 4% in Year 2", they're still gonna say you're getting 8%.

I don't see how public sentiment effects this. We are not on strike. We have not gone on strike in a while. Our members vote through the deals. Members get emails on the deal structure and advice from the Unions on how to vote. Until that changes, the general public have little to no effect imo.

• Advertisement

Good input. I think we all understand compound interest. I dont think anybody cares.

If you want to get technical, we'd never get 4% in year 1 in one go, it would be split as 2% and 2% or 1.5% and 2.5%. A fairer headline would be to compound all of that. Again, who cares?

Great, become a contractor like Tubs so. Nobody stopping you. Just remember you will lose your security, your pension (worth over a million, not to be sneezed at ), your long coffee breaks, generous holidays and sickies etc. Hope you do not end up like poor Tubrity and lose over 80% of your income some time.

Now answer the question. Do you think if the government gives pay rises it should be paid by

(a) cuts in services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭jaffa20

So, what happens next? They make them sweat with the threat of strike and a few extra % will be accepted eventually. See you all in a few weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Increments are standard across both the private and public sector as are pay scales.

Private sector employs can negotiate their yearly increments. I cannot.

Increments are not relevant to this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dylanyahoo

Increments are tied to performance appraisal. That's a requirement of the Haddington Road agreement.

I think people not getting the increment is pretty rare. You'd want to be really not doing your job to not get the increment. Its as close to guaranteed as you will get in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What about the erosion of our living standards over the last 2-3 years? Are we supposed to just suck that up?

What in our economy is becoming more affordable?!?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Unions need to achieve a 2% or 750€ lump sum payment in February

Then try get another 3% over course of deal

A lump sum payment in February will clinch the deal for members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Do people not reach the end of their incremental scales ?

They can't all be promoted.

Advertisement