Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Also - do you seriously think peak shopping times are going to change nationwide? You talk about ridiculous, highly ironic.

"That sounds like a highly unlikely scenario. It's much more likely in that scenario that shopper will come back at a quieter time to do their shopping and returning at the same time"

Even producing epa rates on whats actually put in recycling bins would be great.

But no - we keeping getting what the bin people burned for a profit and somehow we can fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't see the point of arguing over that word to be frank about it.

You are moving from a relatively frictionless system where the recycle bin owner has the opportunity to place 100 percent of all recycleable items into the recycle bin for X euros a month + Y per KG of recycled material generally to a situation where the housholder will now end up paying X + undefined amount per month + Y + Undefined per month + fee per plastic bottle X number of plastic bottle + fee per can X Number of plastic cans to do the same thing.

If they don't want to do that they are going to end up paying X euros a month + undefinded amount per month + Y + undefined amount per month per KG of recycled material, + requirement for additional storage space +journey to shop (whether that is tied up with a shopping trip or not isn't really relevant), + time to deposit.

Whatever you want to call it, its't not in any way a smart move for anyone involved bar potentially absolving the LAs and Departments of their responsibility to their citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

where is your proof it won't in this country ? No dent allowed in the cans !! No way that will cause issues and delays, never mind the lack of the points of return, and the idiotic locations

Perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Boggles has no issue arguing semantics when its in relation to words I use. They become quite insulting over it too. He said the current system has been completely dismantled, I am sure you agree that it has been modified (for the worse in your opinion) but not completely dismantled?

I think it is a smart move but the proof will be in the pudding when we see the numbers in 6 years time when we are expected to hit the 90% rate (obviously, we will see the data before that and likely be able to draw a conclusion in 2-3 years).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You want proof that something won't happen based on past experiences of it not happening? How do you suggest I get such proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So multiple journeys?

But you have stated several times this scheme will not induce one extra car journey.

How can it be both?

You asked for proof you got your proof, would you be more likely to believe the Sun or Waterford Whispers?

I never said it wouldn't induce an extra car journey, I said for the majority it won't cause extra car journeys, you'll always get some head banger who will do a seperate journey and drive for the sake of proving a point

Unless you can prove differently I suggest you stop spreading your lies

• Advertisement

You did yeah.

There's no additional car journeys though, you will be bringing your recycling with you when you go to the shop

So again how can it be both?

If people have to come back, that is multiple journeys.

So how is that good for the environment or peoples pocket?

You have stated several times that the current system has been completely dismantled. Yet, your green bin will still be collected when the scheme starts. How can it (be) both?

So the cans will end up in the wrong bin then and people will be out of pocket for the new levy. Unless of course they make that special journey off peak time in the hope nobody else will have. Seems like a brilliant idea.

It's nothing to do with the problem the RVM is saying its solving though.

Some posters have pointed out that because the stuff will be clean, and undamaged it may be a higher grade of recyclable material and that may help - but there is nothing along those lines discussed on the one page website.

Ah yes, more insults.

Can you explain how the current system is completely dismantled yet also will function as normal but with increased costs for those that don't modify their behavior?

You don't just want to row back and say the system isn't completely dismantled just modified (for the worse in your opinion)?

It won't be clean or undamaged.

It gets squashed in the machine.

And if you look closely you'll see I've never made that argument about clean and undamaged goods

The point I made and have proven was that we only recycle ~60% of these goods and they want to get that up to ~90%

Yes and the point i'm making is the machine system will not help that in a meaningful way.

What makes you say that? There's loads of evidence to suggest it does in multiple other countries so I'm not sure where your point is coming from.

As I mentioned earlier, even a very very badly implemented deposit return scheme in California nets over 70% aluminium can recycling

• Advertisement

It doesn't really matter whether you use the word "dismantled", "modiefied" "Changed" "Amended" etc, the outcome will be the same. It's a massive regression of the system that was there in the first place for those that use it. Massive. To the point that you've really pi$$ed off people - wait for another month or two, when the system comes in and most of the population actually realise the implications.....

There's absolute no logic or science gone into this - in fact quiet the opposite. No other methods were tried despite cheaper, more beneficial options being available.

Dismantled and modified have entirely different meanings.

If I dismantle something, I can no longer use it. If I dismantle my phone, I cannot receive phone calls. If I modify something, it can still be used for its original function. The system has been modified, not dismantled. People can still dispose of cans and bottles in their green bin. It comes at an increased cost to do so.

I am not disputing your sentiments towards the new system. That is how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

This new “recycling” scam can be summed up quite simply.those of us paying for bin collection at our houses are going to be screwed again by this government.no benefit for to keep the country clean and will probably lead to more backroads and boreens with illegal dumping

Again, I am not sure why you are so hung up on this wording. I couldn't care less what word is used as ultimately the effect on me is a massively increased cost and/or more car miles (poorer return for the environment/traffic) and more of my time being wasted which could be spent doing something more productive.

Thats ultimately what people will take from this.

Well why are you arguing with me then? Argue with Boggles. He used the word. He refuses to row back on it.

You seem to accept dismantle means what I describe. All Boggles has to say is that dismantle is the wrong word. Is that really a lot to ask? For someone to say they used the wrong word? Instead he doubles down and is adamant the current system has been completely dismantled. It seems your beef is really with Boggles here.

Yes, in your case its going to be a significant increase in cost (relative to the price of the item your buying) or increased car journeys. In my case, its going to be a really mild inconvenience to spend a minute at the RVM outside my local Aldi when I go and do my weekly shop. I drink a whopping 6 cans of Active X a week on average. Maybe 12 if I am particularly wild. Plus whatever Guinness a drink which is often 0 but might be 20 if the Masters or something is on in golf. I'll be really mildly inconvenienced.

I don't really care about the beef yourself and boggles have tbh.

You'll see this time next month or the following the sh1tstorm taking place as most of the population who currently do their civic duty realise what has gone on.

Have a young family, a busy life, lots of expenses. Like a lot of people I'd guess.

More importantly, I've a vested interest in how money is spent in this country, care about efficiencies and hate to see the common folk getting screwed. This type of thing really annoys me and the fact that there are people on here who don't see the bigger picture is annoying.

You see it from your world, I see all the negatives this will bring in general.

Well you keep on telling me you don't think the word is important.

I have not argued against any of your points. I don't think there will be a shitshow but theres no point in people endlessly discussing whether there will or wont be. It starts next month, we will find out. There will be teething problems. Then I believe it will sort itself out. Come the summer, it will be second nature.

Theres no point to this site then really, is there.

These are the discussions and indeed logic that should have been applied before looking to completely "tear up" "amend" "change" "dismantle" (insert whatever word you want to use) existing systems.

Do you think, for example, that local authorities are doing enough in this area?

What new point do you have to make?

You think you will be inconvenienced. I agree with you. If you want an argument about it, find someone who disagrees with that. I agree with what you're saying but I disagree with the impact it will have on most people. In my opinion, it will be mildly inconvenient. It will enable us to meet the EU directive of 90%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

This scheme will succeed because most people are compliant and do what they are forced to do.

I myself hate this scheme and personally plan to avoid it as much as I possibly can by switching to glass, buying drinks in bulk from NI, buying larger bottles where I can and using a sodastream.

I have 5 reasons why I don't like this.

1. I resent being told I am not doing enough by recycling 100% at home (when others do none, or make less effort)

2. I positively hate re-turns cheery, infantile brand image / marketing approach that presents this as being "convenient for everyone", and making out the deposit return is almost like a reward.

3. Annoyed that this scheme will inevitably cost me, and anyone responsible enough to have their waste collected, more in collection fees (whether or not a particular person participates or not, whether or not you reduce / avoid or not plastic, it will cost you if you pay for any waste collection).

4. Bothers me that no-one can say what % of bottles and cans are recycled now, but even though there is no baseline, know that we are all going to be told this scheme improved the rate.

5. Finally, I think re-turn is over engineered with the stupid special label, n unnecessary market interference that reduces consumer choice through barriers to entry, it exists mainly imho as a device and brand entity on which to found a worthless quango upon, and nothing more.

Remember: There is absolutely no direct benefit to consumers here, there absolutely IS additional risk, effort and inconvenience; even though these are small, none of these risks, efforts or inconveniences are acknowledged by re-turn; they are all diminished in their marketing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement