Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Carberry is doing the right thing for himself. He's not starting ahead of Crowley. Unless Crowley was injured. There's no comparison really. One lad is tough as teak and skilled and the other couldn't open a bag of tayto's

Wherever he goes, that side will be disappointed. He's just not a good outhalf.

I'd say that Frawley is probably a little over rated as a 10. He's got the perfect skillet as a utility player. I would prefer him to J.O.B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Sorry didn’t see you moved threads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Aungier would be one I'm sure Leinster would be more than happy to welcome back. I think he is an incredibly solid TH and Leinster could do a lot worse. Despite Clarksons improved performances and development of late I think Aungier would have a higher ceiling.

Having said that. Aungier would be going to not be a starter at one club to not being a starter at another. Would it actually be better for him? Yes one could point to the coaching etc but he's forged a pretty good path for himself so far.

I could understand Connacht wanting Byrne but I don't see Deeny being as attractive a prospect for them with the Murray brothers, Dowling, Josh Murphy and even Thornbury (when fit) all being better prospects than him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Utility guys have won multiple WPOTY awards and continued shifting from 10 to 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

It doesn't work like that, and Connacht have no use for the players you mention, nor for further personnel in those positions. How do you think Aungier became the player that he is? A combination of good coaching and opportunities to play. He has had 59 caps for Connacht, prior to his arrival he had 5 for Leinster for a grand total of 59 minutes.

Thankfully, Leinster don't have a history of trying to serenade players away from other provinces, unlike our friends down south, whose machinations with Eddie O'Sullivan over Roman Salanoa are at the source of this TH succession problem in Dublin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Given how Salanoa has worked out so far , I don't think Leinster have lost out on anything.

Didn’t they just offer Salanoa a contract?

• Advertisement

Too early to tell. His injury profile has been poor (bit of a theme down south), but I quite liked what i saw of him last season. Powerful, quite dynamic in the loose.

But regardless of his subsequent performances, had Salanoa not told Leinster he was committed to them, they would have been less likely to give Aungier the ok to move west.

I'm pleased with Clarksons contributions recently. He's done well. Better than I expected.

I have heard nothing about Leinster offering Salanoa a contract of late. Or do you mean in 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I doubt that Leinster have a chance at getting Salanoa back. The succession plan for Munster seems fairly clear next year with Loughman and Wycherley on the loosehead side and Jager and Salanoa on the Tighthead side with Dave Kilcoyne, John Ryan and Stephen Archer all ready to call it a day. They also have Ronan Foxe and Darragh McSweeney coming through at TH also.

Ideally Leinster would try and get Salanoa off Munster, or Jack Aungier off Connacht or Marty Moore off Ulster but realistically, There would be uproar if any of these former Leinster academy players went back to Leinster. The only way this would happen is if they actively made it clear that they don't plan to re-sign with the province they are with and Leinster go after them.

Realistically, Leinster will have to use a NIQ designation to replace Ala'alatoa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PMC83

I wonder would they want him back? Leo seemed pretty miffed that he went in the first place

Leo was annoyed that the succession plan for the tighthead position was completely dismantled in the space of 12 months. Losing Salanoa, Aungier and Ilo. Salanoa seemingly pushed back at going to Munster at the time (Alan Quinlan has refuted this).

Three quality young prospects left to get game time and Leinster out of necessity were forced to go out and get Michael Ala'alatoa to fill in the spot vacated by Andrew Porter moving to loosehead.

At the time of the players leaving to go to the other provinces, there was a very defined 1st and 2nd choice at tighthead with Furlong and Porter so it is understandable why the sought opportunities elsewhere.

Salanoa should stay at Munster, he is clearly the second choice behind Jager long term. Ilo has only recently signed an extension with Connacht so he isn't going anywhere.

Jack Aungier and Marty Moore are the only two replacements capable of stepping into Ala'alatoa's shoes for Leinster due to their contracts expiring at the end of the season. In the eyes of the other provinces, it is a damned if you do, damned if you don't. If Leinster sign one of Aungier or Moore, Leinster get stronger and the other province get weaker. If Leinster go the NIQ route, they could potentially land a Vincent Koch or Trevor Nyakane and get even stronger.

Regardless, Leinster will sign a tighthead prop and more than likely, they are going to be a borderline starter for their country because of Furlong's injury history.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is Nyakane even any good these days? He's 34 and Racing let him go and they're not exactly overloaded with quality props.

Maybe we should try sign a big boi like Ntlabakanye or Colombe, for the laugh.

• Advertisement

Nyakane looked good during the world cup when he played. He left Racing as his contract had ended and they probably wanted to go younger.

Leinster don't need him to be a multiple year starter, they just need someone who will bridge the gap next season.

• Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Marty Moore wouldn't suit Leinster at all. I don't think Leinster would be remotely interested in him.

Yeah I don't think it will be Moore, I was just using him and Aungier as examples of Irish tighthead props who are out of contract at the end of the season.

Furlongs injury profile and his form declining are worrying. He's certainly not as brilliant as he was just a couple of years ago. If he is declining, does Porter switch back? At least from a Leinster perspective, there's got to be temptation. I'm guessing that Furlong is being managed or will be managed to a high degree to get him back firing. These niggling are a bastard. It's like being killed by a thousand cuts. At 80%, Furlong is still a top player though.

If I had to guess, they aren't going to move Porter back until Jack Boyle is to international standard which could take around 18 months or so.

That's why it makes a world of sense for them to go out and get someone like Trevor Nyakane for next season to allow Boyle to get his experience.

They have Boyle, Milne and Paddy McCarthy waiting in the wings. Maybe they might have to get a loosehead for a season or two if Porter did move back. Either way a LH prop will need to be brought in to replace porter going back to TH or a TH to replace Ala'alatoa.

Furlong isn't carrying an injury in recent weeks - he's been out since his father, a relatively young man, passed away.

He has also been dealing with the fact his father was struggling with lung cancer for the past 12 months - so it's easy to assume some of that was weighing on him and impacting his performances.

His fathers passing is bound to rock his world to his core. I think he is doing the right thing taking the time out to grieve and come to terms with the loss.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's incredibly important to remember that players , even superstars are people first and foremost, with all the "stuff" going on in their lives that we all have in our lives.

Furlong will have been dealing with a lot in recent months and I'm sure there are lots of other players in the various squads dealing with all sorts of stuff in the background at various stages - Family issues , Relationships , Illnesses and so on.

Cut everybody some slack...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I don't see Porter moving back to tighthead and id hope the discussion would be put to bed.

First off it would have to be a discussion with and ultimately a decision by the irish management team as they pay his centrally contracted wages. Ireland is suitably set at tighthead with a depth chart of Furlong, bedhlam, o'toole and very recently sanctioned the move for Jager. Nationally the depth chart at loose head is not nearly as deep.

We were going to the world cup with Porter and two lads around 35 until Healy got injured.

While there is great potential In Milne, boyle etc. Its only potential for another year or 2. Loughman has been good at times.. but nationally the depth chart for the next 12-18 months is worse at loosehead than tighthead so why would Porter move

Post edited by Must love hardship on

Advertisement