Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If Tubridy couldn't find a sponsor, it would certainly be a cause for mockery (here) and concern (in Virgin Radio HQ and Casa Tubridy).

But he has found a sponsor. And a good one too. The fact that Noel Kelly's team have worked with them before seriously isn't the gotcha many here think it is: that's exactly what you want in an agent - someone with good industry contacts. And if you look at CMS Marketing's website, you'll see that they've worked with a lot of very, very large international corporations. Getting a sponsorship deal with one of them is not surprising or concerning at all. If he had got a deal with Vodafone or Visa or Samsung, would people still be making it out to be a negative thing? Of course not.

No-one actually knows what the sponsorship deal is, but lets just say it's the amount of money that covers Tubridy's wages for the sake of argument. That's seriously not a gotcha either. Virgin Radio aren't in the business to break even. They're in it for profit, and they're not a charity. They certainly have't hired Tubridy to just keep a seat warm. And that's not even taking into account that Tubridy's wages is not the only expense of broadcasting the show. They've calculated (rightly or wrongly) that he'll bring in sponsors, advertisers and listeners. He's brought in a sponsor. Time will tell if he's bringing in advertisers and listeners, and if he's not, he'll be out on his ear. But he'll be given time to build up that audience and draw with advertisers.

I'm certainly no fan of gambling and betting companies, but they are legal, and they have to operate (and advertise) within a strict regulatory framework. Virgin or Tubridy are really doing nothing wrong in dealing with them. Paddy Power are a massive company in Britain (they're certainly not the parochial, Irish company some here think they are), and they sponsor loads of things. Former Newstalk host Ivan Yates actually owned and operated a string of betting shops, and he didn't receive the criticism that Tubridy is facing for merely being sponsored by one, so there's definitely a case of double-standards here.

Finally, I'd like to point out that Paddy Power is not a person. It's a company. I've seen a few people on the thread talking about "him". You'd be laughed at if you were to think that Ronald McDonald was the guy behind McDonalds. There's no "Mr. Paddy Power" behind Paddy Power. There happens to be a man called Paddy Power that runs their communications department, but that's co-incidental.

There's plenty - a plethora - of things to criticise Tubridy for, but having secured a legitimate sponsorship deal for his show certainly isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Pairing up with a gambling company is the absolute height of scumbaggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mountain

Ah now,

im no fan of Tubs, but that’s a harsh comment

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's hard to avoid sponsorship from gambling these days because the industry sponsors the feck out of everything and anything it can... (probably half of Premier League jerseys were betting ads a few years ago)...

Tubs & Noel probably worked a few connections to make it happen, which is absolutely fine, and not a stick to beat them with...

I've probably only listened to about 6-7 links in total, with 1-2 being the initial intro's (all on Q102), but haven't heard the name Paddy Power once!! so do only the Virgin audience hear it? Or is it only at the top/bottom of the hour type deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

It's not coincidence at all. Paddy Power's father set up the Paddy Power company. They're under the umbrella of Flutter now and I'm sure that their share in the overall company is very small. Ivan Yates got plenty of criticism for facilitating gambling.

Post edited by hawley on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭yagan

Remove Tubridy from the situation for a moment and just say it was an well known Irish radio presenter without toxic baggage who was approached by Virgin to host that slot then what would their business angle be?

There's no shortage of candidates in the large market that is the UK, perhaps someone with a loyal following via a regional radio station that covers a population greater than Ireland would be ideal. No weirdness rabbiting on about things and people that are unknown in Britain etc..

The only business argument I can think of is that Tubridys seat is paid for by a sponsor, or maybe it's paid for by Tubridy himself to just get back on air; Paddypower being a smaller input than we credit. As someone else pointed out Paddypower is a well known business in Britain so it's just more adverting they'd do anyway regardless of Tubridy so not exactly any kind of scoop; it's just their advertising budget including that slot.

There was over half a year of radio silence for Tubs so desperate times require desperate measures and if paying to get on air on any station is the way to go then it makes sense. I've no doubt Virgin will be aware of the circumstances under which he burned his own bridges in Ireland, but there's no risk if he costs them nothing and if listenership falls they simply replace him.

• If Ryan were an artist, this might be a typical production. The admirers, the ladies of a certain age from the local branch of the ICA would be praising his efforts to the hilt. The emperor has no clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

Its not a coincidece that Paddy Power works for Paddy Power.

The only other quibble that I would have with the above is that if you do not have extra listeners or extra advertiser, it's useful to have an agent with established connections to offset organic growth. A minder. You could say that Ryan is an investment vehicle for Noel and Niamh.

And yes, gambling sponsorship is everywhere. While it wont matter as he plays Taylor Swift, the forces behind Tony O'Reilly and Declan Lynch not getting interviewed (badly) by Ryan Tubridy on the Late Late is where the relationship between Paddy Power (or Flutter now), Noel Kelly, RTE and Ryan Tubridy becomes a bit more sinister.

EDIT: One final thing, I don't think that many would be looking out for a radio host to bring a sponsor with them. Ideally they would be hired for their listenability. It would be no cause for mockery if there wasn't a sponsor as not all radio hosts have one, and many of the best dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Guy from Galway on the phone with Tubs currently, i'd swear it sounds like Dave Fanning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"In his new weekly column, Ryan will offer readers a view into his daily life and his unique take on living in London.  

Speaking about his new column, Ryan said: “I’m very excited about writing a diary from London for The Irish Mail on Sunday.

"New city, new show, new beginnings so the possibilities are endless.

"This weekly column means the reader can join me along the way.” 

Paul Henderson, CEO of DMG Media Ireland, commented: “We are delighted that Ryan will be joining the DMG family this week."Ryan is one of the most outstanding broadcasters Ireland has ever produced. The insights that he will provide into his new adventures will simply delight our audiences every week.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭yagan

Seeing as the whole JFK thing isn't as big over there I reckon in time tubs will become a self appoint royal correspondent for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭leath_dub

He may have to branch out a little more to keep the income stream at it's usual level, but he seems determined to do this

Back in RTE, I would have thought Ryan would have despised everything that the Daily Mail stands for but hey: "Work is work!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

There were rumours he was going to GB News at one point, I would have loved to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

He may well yet - considering he’s now Daily Mail , Shirley it’s just a matter of time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Doubtful, given his staunch (constitutional) republican family connections, not only to the historical Sinn Féin, but the current Sinn Féin and Fianna Fáil. That said, any good journalist will put their personal prejudices aside for the job. And of course, the Good Friday Agreement and the passing of time has washed away the taboos of Irish nationalists dealing professionally with the British Royals. There is a market for British Royal news here, but he's not the man for the job, and it's not the job for the man.

That said, the "whole JFK thing" opens up some possibilities. There's an assumption amongst some that he'll use his time on Virgin Radio as a springboard back to RTE, but as has been explained before, that makes little sense. The climate here clearly just won't allow it, and I think Tubridy accepts that (maybe reluctantly, but one has to be realistic).

Could there be a future in the US? In terms of TV/Radio hosts, the Irish haven't been so successful in transferring over there (in contrast to our success in Hollywood and music), but there is precedent for presenters who are of mixed popularity in their home countries making big waves in the states: John Oliver, Trevor Noah, James Corden, Piers Morgan. Tubridy has the experience, the Hollywood A-list connections, the Irish charm and - yes, the whole "JFK thing". Whatever about London mid-mornings, you can all imagine that there's a place on CNN or NPR for musings about the "Emerald Isle", lightweight interviews and a bit of inoffensive music. There has to be a market to be tapped that combines nostalgia for "the old country" and Kennedy's Camelot.

It wouldn't be a young market - quite the opposite - but it would be one that has money to spend - an advertiser's dream. And at 50 years of age, Tubridy doesn't need a long career. With the success he's had in Ireland up until his downfall, assuming he's been astute with his investments, a man like him with grown children and a modest lifestyle would not need to work. But he hasn't sunk into writing a memoir and early retirement, like some expected. He's clearly one of those people who's somewhat driven to succeed - hence the move to London, the national UK radio show, the multiple syndications back here, the new newspaper column, etc. etc. If he could get a 10 or 15 year career out of the aging Irish American population, would it be worth his while?

I bet there's someone crunching the numbers on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Obviously, returning to RTÉ is a plan on the “back burner”.

If he becomes a success over there then Ryan would take a “crack” at the BBC but, should that not arise, he’ll fall back on the, notoriously, short memories of the Irish people and get back into a cushy number back in RTÉ.

So far, Virgin will have to be impressed with the level of “engagement” from Ireland. Having people who would never have sought out their station before, now tuning in religiously, is a real boon for them.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Virgin may well be impressed by the level of interaction from Ireland but if they start losing local listeners who've no interest in hearing congratulatory texts from "Mary, on the Sky Road in Clifden" it will be of little comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

This morning he mentioned Jon Ronson's book So You've Been Publicly Shamed and how great it is!

Very apposite.

Are they though? Do you have figures to back up that Irish people are tuning in “religiously” ?

• Advertisement

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't think many here are tuning in for the entertainment value in the way you think they are.

I’m not bar 20 mins on the first day- you’re confusing people contributing to a discussion with people actually listening to the drivel show- even then, there can’t be more than a dozen or so posters on this thread- hardly a record breaking listenership 🤪

There's an assumption amongst some that he'll use his time on Virgin Radio as a springboard back to RTE, but as has been explained before, that makes little sense. The climate here clearly just won't allow it

Nothing that a few years of effluent flow under the bridge won't solve...

Remember this is the country that put FF back into power (becoming the largest party in the Dáil) a mere 10-12 years after they wrecked the economy, as well as our reputation. I'm sure Tubbers won't have to wait that long for redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

Full interview with Andrea Corr from yesterday. All the usual topics; nerds, books, Toy Show etc

• The reason for tuning in would be very relevant to evaluate the audience for purpose of placing the most apt advertising.

The older Instagram ladies would love the scented candles, the satirists here are mostly male, or more inclined to have make interests such as myself, so that’s quite a diverse market.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Used to listen to his rte show on a regular enough basis, but have yet to hear anything from his Virgin shoe yet.

Reading this thread, I'm in no rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

This has to be a wind-up? Any time he had anyone close to being a top US celebrity on the LLS he was starstruck, speachless and fell back into "talk to me about the Irish connections" mode. He was hopeless. The man has a level, and he's gradually falling down the broadcasting ladder to that level which appears to be local Irish radio.

• Advertisement

And he also interviewed them on on a Tuesday/Wednesday afternoon in front of an audience of RTÉ staff…… because there was no way he could get them live in a Friday night…

Advertisement