Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin is the ‘second-slowest city centre in the world’ for drivers

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's not going to be faster if it takes 25-50 years to agree, design and build the underground or monorail

We have buses today, and we need to give them priority. It's just crazy to have 30-70 people on a bus stuck waiting for a couple of dopes in a couple of 80% empty SUVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Buses are the only solution for a few decades so we should give them their own segregated route.

We might have one Metro line in 10 years. Maybe we'll have two in 20 years.

Bikes will be part of the solution.

But buses will do most of the heavy lifting.

If people want to drive, they have to give priority to buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

yeah its not a surprise, a european capital, two booms later, dublin gdp is outrageous AND no transport system... It is truly unbelievable! other similar sized european cities like copenhagen etc, have several meto lines along with good comprehensive tram systems and heavy rail...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭randd1

Yes, but they don't have our government/county councillors lack of planning and not-beyond-the-next-election length of vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

also as to cycling, yeah brilliant sustainable form of transport HOWEVER its too dangerous with the other morons on the road here, simply too dangerous. I do some calculated risk stuff as part of my job, at heights. The difference is, I am in control. On the road? who gives a **** if you are the worlds best and more aware cyclist? that going to save you when some idiot plows into you?

• Advertisement

Far more people are killed and injured in cars, on motorbikes, on footpaths than on bikes. Are all of those too dangerous too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I dont disagree with you, but I cannot see a situation whereby bus routes are completley given over to buses and cars are segregated completely from the bus roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Does give priority mean sharing the road with buses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

1. Why just light rail? Luas is too slow and low capacity for the job it's already being asked to do, expanding the existing lines just makes services worse. Dublin absolutely needs a metro, and it's not just for serving the airport either.
    2. Free? We could brand it "Junkiebus". What's the point of just getting people up and down the quays though? Heuston aside, the main trip generators on the quays are all very close together and there's already loads of buses going up and down the quays anyway. Under BusConnects all the spines will interchange on or near O'Connell St.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,290 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

but to be fair, far more people use cars. And the people who are injured in cars, on motorbikes and on footpaths were probably injured because of car drivers. And it's a chicken/egg thing.

I wouldn't cycle in dublin city. The roads are chock full of cars. half the time you share the bike lanes with busses. It's just a nightmare. If there were proper dedicated cycle-lanes, I'd do it. So there's never going to be an increase in cycling so long as it's as stressful as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Our taxes go to bailing out banks and ensuring freeloaders have an easy life. Don't expect things like a decent healthcare system or, God forbid, something like a train going to an airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Field east

What’s the problem being in 2nd last place, 7th be some other measure, 22nd by still another measure , etc, etc, etc, etc if we are only .5 , .78, 1.15, or dare I say 2.1% behind the country, group , city or region at the top. The difference quite often is insignificant in a lot of these cases. What’s wrong with the place we find ourselves in if the situation is adequate.

i remember a situation once when the rate of growth between five areas was calculated as 3.1, 3.05 , 2.95, 2.89 and 2.88 %. The group managing the area with the lowest growth we’re disappointed that they were last in the group and had to do something about it and it therefor had to do something to be best of the five. IMO , not a good reason to start spending money before examining its current situation, why it is where it is , is the area quite well developed as it is, can we make it an even nicer place to live with small expenditures, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Google maps takes into account the current traffic when estimating your journey time.

From my home to a landmark pub in the south of the city..9.1 kilometres away.

Leaving now…

31 minutes by car

56 minutes by public transport. Including my walk to the stop and allowing me to be there 4 minutes before the ‘scheduled’ arrival of that bus.

31 minutes vs 56 minutes… or return… 1 hour 2 mins vs 1 hour 52 minutes

25 minute difference for a 9.1 kilometre journey one way and 50 return…

that’s why a lot of people prefer sitting in traffic in the comfort of their own vehicle as opposed to spending almost an hour between standing in the cold waiting and getting on a packed overcrowded bus that goes around the world like ours does before it even gets out of the area towards its destination …look now too, off peak many routes are crowded, standing room only, population is exploding… so anyone lecturing citizens that they should get out of cars and into public transport needs a lie down and some vitamin tablets. Until we have adequate effective, efficient, reliable and express public transportation, people are going to choose to use private vehicles….

unless im going shopping in the city centre, all of my other regular destinations, I can’t get to them using public transport without engaging in obscene levels of inconvenience.

get vehicles off the roads ? Sure, metro ? More Luas ? Nope, they get kicked down the road and it’s fûck the citizen and taxpayer again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Im going to Deansgrange for an appointment tomorrow.

After that I have to go to the square in Tallaght to pick something up for my mother.

The train will do me to Monkstown or Dun Laoighre and then bus to Deansgrange. . Will only take half an hour or so. 10 min cycle to the station.

Monkstown to the square driving. Google says 35mins driving. Public transport 1h 45min.

Then back home after Tallaght. Over 2 hours on public transport and a 10 min cycle then. 45 mins by car to home.

Now given the public transport times and the amount of changes of vehicle and the fact I can add on waiting time too. Im taking the car.

Saves me a good few hours of my day.

I don't disagree with your general principle, that current driver behaviours and traffic conditions are a real barrier to getting more people cycling.

But the general idea that cycling is hugely dangerous doesn't really stand up. The health benefits are huge, including halving cancer rates, and vastly outweigh the risk of injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,290 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I have nothing against cycling, I enjoy it. It's just Dublin traffic :)

When I was outside dublin I'd go cycling all the time in both towns and country. But the thoughts of cycling somewhere like the quays terrifies me.

As far as I recall, a fair percentage of cycling road deaths are on those country roads.

So again, people are generally bad at assessing actual risk.

Advertisement