Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

If you’re not happy in your private sector job then why don’t you walk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

No, I just sat on my asre and waited for the automatic increase. Just waiting for the golden pension now😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

You think that this is a gotcha or something? They are not the government, they are my employer.

I don't give a crap how they fund it, I've never cared how any employer funds my pay.

They have money for increases everywhere else, they can find it for us.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Ahhhh, so Ryan Tubridy works in the public sector only when it suits your argument I see.

Nurses and teachers are, and gardaí are transferring abroad, and those sectors are in massive trouble.

Another or your repeated "gotcha" attempts, which falls apart on simple examination

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

I know, it's a skill to twist one every which way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Child Labour, that's how. But it really isn't something we should aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I'm more worried that none of the increases are targeted to professions that are suffering shortages of applicants.

Naval forces, teachers, guards, nurses, social workers . . . they need to make these careers more attractive

Its an indisputable fact that Ryan Tubridy was a private sector worker whilst working for RTÉ, but you’re still trying to dispute it.

There are many other cases of private sector workers working in the public sector (which RTÉ is not) but this doesn’t make them public sector workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

So what's the union's next step? Do we get balloted on industrial action? Or would they worry that a no vote would weaken their hand too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭bren2001

Dear Bren2001,

I am writing with a short update on the status of the public service pay talks.

As you know, we entered talks again this week in good faith to negotiate a proposal that delivers on wages, work, and a new way forward. 

Following two days of lengthy engagements, talks adjourned in the early hours of this morning as agreement could not be reached at this stage. We remain in process and the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) has asked the Government side to reflect on its position.

The WRC will remain in contact with the parties over the coming days. 

While significant progress was made on the non-pay elements of a new potential public service agreement, a significant gap on the pay terms remains if we are to combat inflation and cost of living increases and ultimately close out a proposal that we can put to SIPTU members in a workplace ballot.

The reality is that the initial offer from the Government puts little more than €5 per week in the pockets of low-income public service workers and €10 per week for those on middle incomes in 2024. 

This is unacceptable and it completely fails the basic test of creating a robust agreement in the face of a continuing cost-of-living crisis.

This morning, members of the ICTU Public Service Committee met for a briefing on the developments over the last number of days and to discuss our next steps.

Firstly, we remain steadfast and ready to return to the negotiations in order to complete a deal to withstand the pressures of the 30-month period ahead.

The PSC committee renewed our united position and agreed to a ballot wording that, in the event of no further meaningful engagement or negotiations, determined and concentrated industrial action across the board in the public service is inevitable sooner rather than later.

We will keep you informed of any developments in the coming days.

Thank you, 

Hot off the emails from SIPTU. Agree the wording on the ballot and then ballot members if nothing shifts in the next week or two I assume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wages continuing to decrease in real terms will only make the problem worse, that's for sure. And recruitment and retention issues are not limited just to Dublin either.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭crinkley

You were the one that mentioned Dublin originally, you'll actually find plenty of articles online on how chasing inflation is counterproductive and effects those on lower wages more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭combat14

i dont think 7.5% nominal gross pay increase over 3 years approx. 2.5% per year will cut it for most workers

some sectors such as education and health are massively struggling to recruit and retain workers something extra is also needed in these areas

with significant double digit cost of living rises the last 3 years and inflation now rising again above 3.2% the government will have to do better for its workers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Someone on social welfare gets 12e plus 2 bonus payments and I get a fiver a week. No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's a standoff now. I'd imagine Forsa aren't convinced an all out strike vote would pass. I think we should be looking at a work to rule of some sort. Slowing down passport applications for example and DSP / Revenue not answering calls. Although the latter is mostly online these days so wouldn't have much of an impact you would think.

I don't think the figure of 8.5% is too bad. It's the 2.5 years which will sting people.

If the govt. came back with 2 years I think it would pass. Either way I can't see an all out strike getting support. People can't afford no wages coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

A work to rule simply doesnt work on this scale.

I've said it a couple of times in this thread, I'd literally have no idea how to operate within a work to rule. My contract is so vague, everything is within my duties that I do (really).

An all out strike would be madness. I'd vote against it. Voting for a mandate for smaller one day or two day strikes with the caveat of an all out if the Unions deem necessary, I'd vote for. Considering SIPTU represent about 50% of the Public Sector, they're going to be the biggest players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Our Gardai....these are already one of the highest paid police forces in the world as it is, without giving them even more money.

Average Garda income, according to recent statistics is exactly €82,348 per year.

Plus they have security and can retire early on a huge pension.

A work to rule is targeted. Like yourself I wouldn't be much use. It would be the likes of the passport office and public facing staff delivering those services that would deliver the brunt of the disruption.

Withdraw or disrupt as many of the critical services as possible.

I wouldn't vote to be standing on a picket either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭EduKate

"The first offer made last night would have put little more than an average of just €5 per week, before deductions, in the wages of low-income public service workers, and €10 per week in the wages of those on middle-incomes in the first year.

There was shock in the room when this offer was made. That offer did not include any payment before June 2024".

Lol, the government's first offer involved no pay increase at all until June.

In an odd way, I'm kind of impressed how bad their opening offer was.

Do people seriously think we will get a double digit pay increase over 2 years? I'd love it. Don't see it happening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭granturismo

I agree. The last strike day the civil & public service had was disasterous in many respects. The traffic jams into NI by colleagues who werent on the pickets was embarassing and many colleagues have said they will never go on strike in similar circumstances. I cant see these colleagues voting for strike action today.

If individual unions get a mandate from members for industrial action, a one day strike or roilling strike days are probably the most severe option. My recolleciton from the previous national strike day was that rolling strke days were a back up option but not initially mooted because they were unlikely ro be mandated by most unions' members and an all out strike was never going to be passed by members of most unions.

Work to rule will be difficult but maybe not impossible for a lot of public & civil servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Do you seriously think we won’t? 8.5 offered over 2.5 and completely rejected. What do you think will be offered again like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,273 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The traffic jams of CS staff to NI was invented by Tommy O'Gorman on RTE. There were traffic jams on that road every day, before and after the strikes, at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Everyone knew there was a massive increase in to N.I. shopping that day, the cameras recorded the un-precidented tailbacks, and I knew some of those stuck in the infamous traffic jam.

You don’t have a contract of employment. No Civil Servant does.

I have a contract of employment. It’s in my office drawer. It’s very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

I guess the same amount could be offered but with the increases to kick in sooner and across 2 years.

• Advertisement

10% over two years is where I think this will end. I don’t think that’s good but it’s also not awful.

Advertisement