Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N60 Upgrades

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Drove past the Heathlawn scheme today. Tarmac is already going down at the eastern end, which is pretty good going! Topsoil strip is mostly done and earthworks are progressing well. The western end is the least progressed. Two sets of traffic lights so it's slow going.

Just me doing my quarterly update lol. Drove the Heathlawn scheme yesterday, and good progress has been made. The eastern third of the scheme looks nearly finished, with tarmac down, the middle third is well underway with bulk earthworks mostly done. Still very little movement on the western end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Has there been any suggestion of an N60 Claremorris bypass? It seems easy enough to loop around the northern side of the town and connect to the roundabout at the N17 GSJ.

It also seems like a town which could easily implement a one-way system, removing a driving lane and widening footpaths instead which would be very beneficial.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The N60 from Convent Road to the McWilliam Park is an Inner Relief Road so presumably that does its job

There was a long term plan for a new offline single carriageway from the N5 at Castlebar to the N17 at Claremorris that I'm not sure is officially dead/when it became officially dead. That would presumably have dealt with bypassing Claremorris.

(Perhaps there's a scope for debate as to whether a new N60 and upgraded N17 to Tuam would be more beneficial to Mayo than upgrading the N5 through Roscommon).

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Westernview

I drove that this week too. What they have done looks very good, even down to the grass-seeded cuts either side...very neat job. Should be a good addition to this route when finished.

I'd say the offline option is well off the agenda with the focus on improvements on the existing line at Heathlawn and Balla. Plenty of further improvements needed of course but if they keep doing sections of it then I think the next most pressing item that would be needed would be a northern bypass of Claremorris, especially if the route gets busier from Castlebar to N17. The relief road is doing a decent job as you say but its still a long slow drive at reduced speed limits from the outskirts on the Balla Road and there are 2 sets of traffic lights to get through before the N17. Will all depend on future traffic volumes I'd say.

• Advertisement

It would be great to see a bypass of Claremorris on the N60, the inner relief road is not that useful as it includes 2 sets of traffic lights and actually goes through the town centre.

It would be quite straightforward to build 2km of single carriageway from the N60/R320 junction to the N60 roundabout at the N17 junction. It's not on any official radar though unfortunately.

The offline N60 upgrade was due to connect to the N17 at a new GSJ north of the existing N60/N17 junction, but unfortunately this is firmly off the table for now and I haven't heard any calls for this project to be resurrected.

It's a pity the 2km link you mention isn't being discussed - a relatively short distance project that would be of big benefit to motorists.

Also the more the N60 is improved and becomes a more attractive option for Castlebar area traffic to Galway, the more I think it could take some of the pressure off Ballinrobe.

It could be considered under the suggested National Secondaries bypass programme, although there will be a lot of competition for inclusion there.

Like I said previously, such a bypass could allow for big changes and reallocation of space on core town streets, that aspect should should be promoted rather than just facilitating faster car journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

100% agree. I think the purpose of bypasses has shifted over the last decade or so - it's not about making car journeys quicker, but improving town centres. The best way to preserve rural Ireland is to turn its towns and villages into places where local people might want to go, rather than annoying bottlenecks on the road to the closest big city.

Nice video of the Heathlawn works from just a couple of weeks ago. The works are visible from 7:10 onwards.

• Advertisement

Drove this way yesterday. The eastern third of the project is already finished and open to traffic, so good going by the contractor. The middle third is well underway with tarmac down in places. The last bit from Keane farm machinery toward Balla has yet to be started.

Drove the Heathlawn scheme again yesterday and took a dash cam video, so excuse the low quality of the images below!

First three pics are starting from the western end, which is the least advanced.

The next two pics show the middle and eastern part of the project. This is nearing completion and includes a segregated walk and cycle path which is very good to see. There is a separate project in planning to extend this into Balla town.

There's no plans AFAIK to do anything with this bridge unfortunately.

Haven't seen any mention of it either. Seems the council are focusing on addressing the next N60 bridge to the east of Brickens first. Looks like a dangerous spot as well in fairness even though I'm not that familiar with the road.

Manulla bypass is going to ABP in Q1 2025, according to Mayo County Council.

Good news if this is true. There have been lots of mostly minor accidents at this junction.

Does this bypass include a new bridge over the Ballina-Manulla train line?

Yes, see the link in the first post in this thread.

• Advertisement

Thats positive news. They seem to have done a good job from what I've seen of it.

TII have approved the N60 realignment at Brickens between Claremorris and Ballyhaunis. It's going through part 8 planning so no ABP delays to worry about.

The residents of Balla are threatening to block the N60 if TII don't agree to extend the 50kmh zone 300 metres to the east to include the dangerous Ardboley junction. I'm with the residents in this case (notwithstanding the dramatic approach). It seems like an easy and cheap way to reduce accidents at the junction.

Is this really the best or only solution?. Adding an extra 300m of 50kph road isn't ideal for overall journey times.

Here is the link to the consultation mentioned;

I doubt many would heed the change in speed limit. Straightening out the bend doesn't look like an option as there are houses where the road would need to be realigned. Putting a roundabout there might be the best way to slow down traffic and make it clear that lower speed limit applies as you are approaching a town.

It seems odd to include a 3m walking/cycle path on the southern side of the road also. It seems to have no real purpose, I doubt there would be many/any people using a path on that side. It also looks like it could piss of the farm and potentially residents who would be CPO'd. Having to take land and do works on both sides of the road seems unnecessary here.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

At 100kph you'd travel that 300m in 10.8 seconds
    At 50kph you'd travel 300m in 21.6 seconds - an extra 10.8 seconds

I don't think 10.8 seconds is going to make much of a difference in overall journey times, especially if the result is to keep traffic at a slower pace where there's a dangerous junction

Fair point when you put it like that. But if money is being spent id still rather see reducing times rather than increases.

If there is no other option them so be it. Safety is paramount.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I don't entirely disagree with you on your first point. Where possible we should trying to eliminate dangerous junctions and bad sight lines. However there are probably always going to be places where the only solution is to extend lower speed limit zones.

I'll be honest and say that i used to be a terrible speed merchant but as I've gotten older I've just realised how little real impact an extra 20-30kph makes in terms of getting somewhere quicker. Also in these days of crazy petrol prices I've also become way more conscious of how much extra fuel efficiciency I get going a little slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

Travelled through the works area at the weekend, and the whole thing looks almost finished to me. There were no temporary lights at any stage and it looked like any machinery left is just there to do some tidying up at the margins.

• Advertisement

Drove the route yesterday. Looks very well. There were temporary light in place but no big delay.

Advertisement