Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using an inheritance to get a personal loan

• 10-01-2024 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi there

I need to get some home improvements done due to a leaking roof, which will cost about €40-50k but I need to get a loan as I don't have that in savings at the moment. I have just started out as a sole trader, cash is pretty tight and I feel I am unlikely to get approved if I just apply for a loan online in the usual way. However, I am due to receive an inheritance over the next year or so depending on how long probate takes. This will more than enable me to pay off the loan, but I'm not sure how to even approach a bank to see if they will accept this. I am highly secure financially in that we own our home with no mortgage and have no real debts to speak of. Will a bank entertain this and if not, who else is likely to offer a loan in such circumstances?

Thanks for any advice in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭frank730

best chance is to talk to your local credit union, they all do home improvement loans and are more understanding and listen to your situation. Banks won't want to hear from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Claymation

Thanks for that. Hadn't considered them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The thing is you don't have a right to an inheritance, there is no guarantee that you will anything like the sum you expect and you can't assign the right to anyone else. So you can't offer any comfort to a financial institution that they have an iron clad way of getting their money back if you don't pay.

Of course you can try the banks and credit unions and you might well find someone who would be willing to take a chance on you, but I'd say you need a better plan. Depending on who the executors of the will are, maybe you could come to some kind of a family arrangement...

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

as already mentioned try the Credit Union

not sure about how the inheritance would affect things one way or other but they're my go to for "small" loans, had 2 now no issues and low hassle

last time I looked into a traditional bank the numbers looked very grim and they wanted chapter and verse of my life...on such a small amount I laughed....also I actually think they have a dislike of self employed people

one other alternative tho I've not yet had experience of is Revolut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That you have just started out as a sole trader may be an obstacle, depending on the business.

If the inheritance you are due to receive is largely down to a formality, they may lend against a % of it, but not against all of it. So, if you are getting a million and want €50,000, not so much of a problem. If you are getting €50,000 and want €50,000, then problem.

Re-mortgaging the house might be an option, but paperwork intensive for a middling amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A lifetime ago I took out a top up mortgage loan to build an extension. My main mortgage had run for a few years. Back in the good old days when only Building Societies offered mortgages, and the interest rates were double digits. I can't remember whether any alternatives were available at the time.

I know the mortgage has been paid off by the OP, but assuming a good payment record an approach to that lender could be possible. Everyone is different but a homeowner with no mortage would normally be considered a good risk. Any lender would require full disclosure including what "no real debts to speak of" actually means.

Post edited by dxhound2005 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,600 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

At risk of being slightly ghoulish, how certain is the inheritance? Is the person actually deceased now? Will the executor of the will be happy to give you written statement of what you will be entitled to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

Have you checked if your home insurance will cover any of the damage..?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well it would be unusual, but not unheard of for an estate evaporated. I encountered two cases back in the late 80s. In both cases the deceased had committed tax and social welfare fraud and when it was all paid down plus penalties and interest there was not much left. But I think now a days they have tightened up a lot of that stuff.

Yes, the person is deceased now and the probate should be pretty straightforward. I don't think getting a written statement of what I will be entitled to will be an issue either.

• Advertisement

I've had a quick look at what the norm is and I don't think I will be covered. Damage is from a velux window that has allowed water in and is weakening the roof and, if it goes unchecked, potentially the walls.

Advertisement