Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I honestly dont know how a newly recruited CO in the Civil Service in Dubin can survive on the starting salary. It is disgraceful. I think the government will have the lower paid CS over a barrel becuase I cant see an appetite amongst them for striking, considering how low their pay is already. People think of the here and now and if they are already struggling to put food on the table then they are not going to reduce their pay even further even if a couple of one day strikes will improve their pay conditions in the long term.

A work to rule is probably the best approach, but as others have said, certain job specs are so vague that you wont know what you should and shouldnt be doing.

I started in the CS 30 years ago so I am very lucky in the respect that I am pre 95. I have gone through the grades of CA/CO/EO/HEO. However it took time because when I was an EO I moved to Cavan under the great Decentralisation plan. My career stalled for 10 years and I had to go back to Dublin when I got HEO. Luckilly after 3 years I got back to Cavan.

I am at the stage now where I have had enough of the CS. I have been on the same increment scale for 3 years now. I regulary do 8 to 10 hours a week above what I should be doing and I get no time in lieu for it. The work load has increased so much in the last few years that I decided last year that I am leaving. I am taking early retirement and am actively seeking work in the private sector. I have already been put forward for interviews where the salary is 25% more then I am currently earning. Though I realise that not everybody has this opportunity. If we all decided to leave the CS and move to the private sector what would happen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,308 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There will be no better offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Gusser09

8.5 over 2 yr. With the bulk of the increase coming in 2024. Hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭bren2001

I don’t think you know how talks work. It’s never take it or leave it like. The government will want to avoid strikes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'd be surprised if there wasn't. Local and European Elections in June with a possiblity of a General Election before then. The last thing the Government needs is industrial unrest heading into election season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Rte news just mentioned 12.5% as the union ask. Anyone care to speculate a final agreed figure based on 8.5% versus 12.5%??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Really? I thought they got them. I'm nearly sure I saw the sister in law's one a few years ago. Is it just a generic acceptance of a job that they sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭combat14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Would the unions not be better off arguing better T & C's for their members. Additional AL? Shorter working week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Of course Civil Servants have contracts of employment. They are fairly general across the board and are not specific to your role but they are still contracts of employment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭amacca

I'd speculate on 9.5% (think like pricing there's kind of a psychological barrier at 10) ...+ more frontloading and some tinkering around the edges in relation to conditions (rowbacks on fempi) to give unions sonething to sell and use to save face....while govt side can puff out their chests and talk about fairness etc....there will also be some vague non binding weasley statements about future negotiations and improving working conditions for recruitment in future etc etc

NB: All of this is completely uninformed idle speculation

An extra 1% for 6 months? That’s worse then 8.5 over 2.5 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Im gonna say 10% with 3.5 in 24 4%in 25 march jun and oct and 2.5 in jun 25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭Augme

There is very little demand for it. No point having more time off just to sit at home and dwell on what you'd love to be doing if you only had the money to do it. Theybneed to sort out the pay first, ans then focus on better terms and conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Gusser09

SIPTU balloted members and that wasn’t in their top responses. It’s not in their mandate.

I think people forget these are the Public Pay Talks, not the Civil Service Pay Talks. Additional annual leave in my instance is meaningless. A 4 day working week is impractical. WFH? I have it whenever I want (with certain caveats everyone knows). The issues in my role are not for these pay talks, they’re a separate discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

I hope not. That's worse than 8.5% over two and a half years!

8.5% across 2.5 years = 3.4% per annum

9.5% across 3 year = 3.16% per annum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Or even 10% over 3.5 years. Bigger number means better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Increased annual leave/shorter working week is not possible in areas that are extremely short staffed, such as hospitals. The workload is already too much with no cover if people are off, it would be unmanageable in the short term. Even if it did lead to more recruitment long term in the short termtraining would be difficult to manage if staff days didn't overlap sufficiently. I often dread bank holidays as I have only four days to manage five days worth of work.

Increased pay is needed in a lot of areas and long term for recruitment and retention of newer staff they need to address the huge disparity in pensions between those on the single pension scheme and those on pre 2013. Most of us in work on post 2013 are already stretched but need to start looking into AVCs to have an actual liveable pension when we retire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

While that might appear to be the case, you fail to factor in the 6 months after the first 2.5 years at 0%, ie 2.83% per annum. There's no guarantees of anything continuing in the future. Surely getting the extra 1% locked in is a better deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,273 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ah, the old "everyone knew" evidence, beloved of Joe Duffy callers.

Did you miss this bit? "There were traffic jams on that road every day, before and after the strikes, at that time."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I asked one of my smaller teams how'd they'd vote. 3 would accept the offer and 1 would reject it (they are holding out for 10%).

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Arealred

Unfortunately this won't pay the bills. When your mortgage repayment or rent /ESB/ food/diesel costs have to be paid these better T and Cs don't cut it. With elections around the corner, unions should play hardball. Imagine all election candidates not being able to raise their constituents concerns leading into a local / European election. They would cough up the extra 2 or 3 per cent within a week or two. Don't have faith in the unions though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭granturismo

You are incorrect, the day of the strike saw tailbacks from Newry that werent there in previous days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,273 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was on that road twice a week on business over that period. Tailbacks were a regular feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So what? It's at its worst in Dublin but it's not just a Dublin problem.

You seem to think that public sector workers should take the hit for inflation even while the government is protecting others from taking any hit from inflation.

You're damn right that the lowest paid are the worst hit by inflation! so do you think they should have their living standards cut, or not?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

It’s possible. But not likely. It will be very close to double digits. It nearly is already sure.

Yeah we know you've posted the exact same thing at least three times now.

Don't worry, you'll be told! but it'll be targeted to hit certain services for maximum political pressure, elsewhere there may be little or no effect at all.

One day strikes are pointless. Most staff will just end up doing the work the day before or after, but losing a day's pay.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Not this again.

That was people, public and private sector, taking advantage of the schools being closed. I'm not aware of any checkpoints on the border asking if people were public servants or not... but that's the assumption the right-wing media predictably jumped to.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement