Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fourteen migrants discovered hidden in refrigerated container at Rosslare Europort

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

When they suggest we need to setup legal migration routes they're never pressed on how exactly this would work. Setup pickup points around the Med so migrants can make their way there and be shipped directly to their country of choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• €100,000 tax free bonus for the police team that catches the smugglers.

Great idea, we could get Ant and Dec to the host the gameshow.

Prime time entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I don't see how this is a gotcha to @StrawbsM, this does not answer how they knew they were on an Irish ship heading to Roasslare. I think the word diverted gives the indication that they called 999 it went to the Uk and somehow was automatically diverted - no they called 999 as Strawsm says, the Uk had enough info then to know where they were going.

Maybe just the Ship name is what they provided, should have been enough - still not explained though.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

"She is the recipient of numerous research awards for work relating to gender equality," WOKE, WEF puppet, living on taxpayer money to lecture us with her virtual signaling. No thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Didn't a minister suggest a few years ago instead of sending a naval vessel to the med to assist in helping migrants cross the we instead buy a roll on roll off ferry for the navy so they can bring migrants straight here , now we can expect calls for aer Lingus to put on free flights for migrants without passports or any other documentation to fly directly here from EU States

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

What role do you think the "do gooders and human rights activists" play in this situation? Do gooders and human rights activists raise concerns over a great many things in this world that still continue regardless. This idea that somehow they are the master puppeteers of all things is simply not true.

Yes, these people have entered the country illegally and in an ideal world we can easily identify where exactly they came from or through and then we call that country and say we are sending these people back and they happily say "thanks a million Ireland we will gladly take them back because we absolutely don't want you guys to be inconvenienced because we have no vested interests of our own". Or yeah, just stick them on a plane without saying anything and hope for the best they aren't back in Dublin a day later because another country decided that our policy is a great idea and they should do the same, and we all just play refugee tennis forevermore.

Unfortunately, it's often not that simple — and that's not because of do gooders and human rights activists. It's because of a whole range of things that includes politics, socioeconomics, international law — and far from being do-gooding it's actually often more a case of selfishness (ie, well they're Ireland's problem now and we have plenty of other stowaways to deal with).

Nobody, absolutely nobody (left or right) has the definitive answer of how you stop this from ever happening ever, nor do they have the perfect answers on handling it when it does happen. Maybe if people were willing to think more critically about this, rather than blaming scapegoats, a better conversation on ways forward could be had. But nah, instead it's just the bloody do-gooders and snowflakes and I'm so smart and they're so stupid right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

But but but international obligations, international agreements, human rights ...

In other words the gravy train must continue so that all those sucking off the taxpayers teat can continue to do so.

It must continue so that all those vying for international well paid positions can progress.

It must continue so that the superior intellects can continue to feel superior.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You don’t see how it was a gotcha because it wasn’t a gotcha. StrawbsM asked some reasonable questions trying to figure stuff out, I posted the relevant info from the article.

Good faith posting all round, as opposed to the nonsense of presuming they’re now going to claim asylum in Ireland cos it’s the land of milk and honey, etc, when what they actually wanted was to get to the UK. Be like if I intended to get to Belfast, ended up in Cork and Corkonians presumed I should want to be in Cork cos of the benefits they see about Cork.

I’ve no doubt the UK authorities have more sophisticated methods of monitoring shipping lanes but it’s not actually all that difficult to pin down the location of a ferry at any given moment -

https://www.ferrytracker.net/2019/07/ferry-tracker-current-position-map.html

It’s also probable they have similar SOS phone location technology in the UK Emergency Services as we do in Ireland:

https://www.thejournal.ie/emergency-location-services-3654321-Oct2017/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

You're awfully long winded in your opinions of others here. Perhaps you can take a page from your own book and tell us: what do YOU believe the solution is?

Well I apologise if four paragraphs is simply too much to bear. I hear Twitter is a great place for bitesize soundbites.

As for solutions, what absolutely never gets talked about on these threads, while you're all busy incessantly crying over "open border snowflakes unlimited refugees", is that the EU has actually spent the past 3 years negotiating a new EU Pact on Migration and Asylum which was agreed just before Christmas.

As I see it, the Pact contains measures that are a step in the right direction in a process that will forever be imperfect. There are improved rules on screening, acceleration of deportations, clearer obligations on burden sharing in times of refugee crisis, better commitments on the protection of the EU's external borders. Personally I think more can be done to facilitate co-operation with North African and Near/Middle East governments to have a more quid pro quo relationship as regards the facilitation of returning rejected applicants or stowaways.

These are the solutions — gradual, broadly agreed and collaborative. No, it isn't the dramatic magic bullet that people on here seem to fantasise about. It isn't all "kick them out and brutalise them and treat them like absolute filth so that they never come within 500 miles of Ireland", but if you all want solutions as you claim to do, it's time to grow up and realise that you have to collaborate with those you disagree with instead of lazily casting them as lefty ghouls who want to destroy Ireland and consider the fact that, maybe, just maybe, they have rational motivations too.

That last line is a bit rich when all the lefty ones in favour of immigration (that is immigration of asylum seekers, chancers, refugees, international protection applicants) is castigate anyone against it and call them racists, backward xenophobes, etc.

The media, the political classes, state employees, NGOs all have engaged in labeling anyone that up to now wanted discussion and a real debate on control of these immigrants as far right ghouls or weak minded easily led enthralled with some far right ghouls.

I would safely say the time for discussion is past for most people.

And I would say they just want it stopped at this stage, they want people that came into the state without any legitimate right, those in particular who destroyed identification documents to be promptly fooked out of here.

You had your chance at collaboration, but you have pi**ed all over peoples good will.

Another 14 arrived to be added to the long list of those totally supported by Irish taxpayers, taxpayers that just decreasing services for themselves and their loved ones.

You can only get away with pi**ing down someones back and telling them it is raining for so long.

Eventually they kick back.

I am not allowed discuss …

That last line is a bit rich when all the lefty ones

Are you a righty one? 😂

This imported American bullshít is hilarious especially when regurgitated by middle aged permanent contrarians online.

Bloody cuckhold libtards the lot of them.

McEntee was on the radio again taking big how we are carrying out Deportations and hundreds others have left after Deportations order's issued,but offered no evidence as to when these people,but they just left

The problem though is that you're dreaming up a lot of this. Yes, there are the preachy lefties — and people on the right who are graduates from the University of Twitter in reactionary anger to negative stories about foreigners. There's a pretty big middle in there though.

The reality is that, in practice, governments and state bodies are actually trying to address these things and trying to find the right balance. Von der Leyen herself said in 2020 that the EU system was not fit for purpose and the new migration and asylum pact took 3 years to hammer out an agreement — and unfortunately in that timeframe Mr Putin decided to invade Ukraine. Before you know it, one day the Right is telling us about how brilliantly no-nonsense the Polish are on immigration, and the next day over a million refugees flood into Poland.

And yes, of course people want the chancers to be "fooked out". That's an entirely legitimate and rational thing to want — but it's also attractive because it sounds easy. Kick them out, problem solved. That's easy and therefore anyone who says otherwise is a Lefty activist throwing spanners in the works, right? Well, no. It's not lefty activism to simply acknowledge that "fooking" people out requires that you have someone else who is going to take them and accept the burden of handling them. That's not always straightforward, so just kicking them out is a nice phrase – but what you ignore then is who is catching the kickout.

Another 14 arrived to be added to the long list of those totally supported by Irish taxpayers, taxpayers that just decreasing services for themselves and their loved ones.

The 14 that were discovered in a container have nothing whatsoever to do with any asylum process here and so far there’s no evidence that they have requested asylum here. They do have to be processed and the cost of that is borne by the State, not taxpayers, it has nothing to do with taxpayers, nor would I assume that because anyone pays tax they must share your views.

The management or availability of services isn’t dependent upon anyone being a taxpayer or not either. For example while I may have the right to claim I don’t want “my taxes” paying for the education of my neighbours children, or I don’t want “my taxes” paying for other people’s healthcare or accommodation or whatever else, it’s completely detached from the reality of how an economy functions or how the State functions and nobody is required to take such nonsense seriously.

The 14 people who were discovered in a container are entitled to avail of the same rights and protections which are given to all people who gain illegal entry into the State - depart voluntarily, or seek asylum. Those are their choices. In the meantime the State has an obligation to provide for them and it does so in accordance with established international protocols which distinguish this country from the shìtholes those people are trying to escape from that they take the kinds of enormous risks they do in order to make a better life for themselves elsewhere.

There’s nothing which prevents you or anyone else from doing the same. Nobody’s pissing down your neck, you’d actually know if they were, and people who don’t share your views have no interest whatsoever in collaborating with you.

• Advertisement

@Boggles The 14 that were discovered in a container have nothing whatsoever to do with any asylum process here and so far there’s no evidence that they have requested asylum here. ...

So they were brought to citywest asylum hub .....

There is no evidence whatsoever that they requested asylum at all ...

Seriously

Yes, seriously:

All on board the refrigerated trailer were understood to be in good health and once they were fully checked, they were brought by An Garda Síochána to CityWest in Dublin for “processing”.

A source confirmed that those on board the trailer were primarily Kurdish nationals and, following medical examinations, they were brought to the nearest processing centre.

"There’s very little involvement locally,” the source said. “We just bring them on to the nearest processing centre, which I believe is CityWest in Dublin. From there, the initial processing of their details and documents will be carried out before they are taken to an accommodation centre and a decision will be made around whether they apply for political asylum.”

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/rosslare-migrants-forced-to-cut-hole-in-container-as-they-struggled-to-breathe-human-trafficking-investigation-launched/a1940424559.html

That's a bit of stretch of for you to claim,

If they aren't seeking asylum why are they currently staying in an asylum hub aka citywest....

Remember we have no room for male asylum seekers they arrive and get handed a Dunnes voucher and a sleeping bag , not brought to citywest asylum hub

It’s not a stretch for me to claim? I even cited the relevant bits of the article for you. They were taken to Citywest for initial processing, and from there they go to an accommodation centre where a decision will be made around whether they apply for political asylum. There’s no evidence they have applied for asylum, and given they intended to enter the UK illegally, it’s just not reasonable to assume they’ll apply for asylum here. They never intended on being here in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

"fooking" people out requires that you have someone else who is going to take them and accept the burden of handling them. That's not always straightforward, so just kicking them out is a nice phrase – but what you ignore then is who is catching the kickout.

Here's the thing, we know these 14 came straight outta Belgium, we send them back to Belgium. No ifs buts or ands. They at least belong in Belgium - its up to the Belgian authorities to deal however they see fit thereafter.

ALL stowaways and passport shredders should face instant return. Back to where the flight or the ferry originated from. Immediate dismissal, and I would add that they be added to a database and permanently banned from ever entering Ireland again.

• Advertisement

Sure all that’s doing is Ireland sending migrants to Belgium, Belgian authorities are under no obligation whatsoever to take them, and they can just as easily send them back to Ireland if your ideas were actually in place.

All stowaways and passport shredders do face instant return, to their countries of origin, which takes the authorities a while to figure out, and then we have to have reciprocal arrangements with those countries so that they agree to take them back.

They already are added to a database when they’re taken for processing in Citywest, which they’re probably not too happy about as it makes getting into the UK now virtually impossible, whereas originally they had intended to enter the UK without coming to the attention of the authorities.

Yeah, and if Belgium take the same approach then they will say these guys have come from Ireland so stick them on the next Ryanair flight back to Dublin. Do you see the problem here? If everyone takes the same approach it's refugee ping pong. The receiving country needs to actually be willing to accept them and this is not always easy to do. What do you imagine the likeminded chaps on Belgium Boards would say? "Ireland's problem, we have enough of them"?

By all means man, vote for a party who promises to just boot all these people out every single time and who will somehow manage to strong arm the rest of Europe into just sucking that up. If anything, the one satisfaction from it would be watching them try to navigate the complexities they like to pretend don't exist.

The EU Migration and Asylum Pact 2023, which is likely to come into effect this year, is ramping up identification protocols for asylum seekers and refugees which will include each individual having facial and fingerprint information taken to improve the ability of states to identify people and track their history of movement between states.

Dublin regulations ,Brussels would have to deport them to their home country not her ,no idea why you would think that they would send them back here

Because the premise of the argument relies on the idea that the Dublin Regulations don’t exist, so they come here from Belgium, we send them back, Belgium sends them back here because as far as the Belgian authorities are concerned - they came to Belgium from here, they’re no longer Belgiums responsibly, and so the two countries go back and forth. Meanwhile the 14 have applied for asylum in the UK 😂

In practical terms (and legal) though, Ireland has to issue and Belgium has to accept the request first under Dublin Regulations.

Most Dublin Regulation requests fail. The top four countries who issue these requests are Germany, Belgium, France, and Austria and the success rates of their respective applications varies between 6% to 8%. Part of the reason for this is that the vast majority of take-back / take-charge requests are issued to the external border countries of the EU like Greece and Italy, who are refusing them because they do not have the capacity to handle both new arrivals and returnees. This is the very reason why the EU is trying to reform the system because the Dublin system is not actually working very well in practice and we are already seeing a situation of a merry-go-round of refugees being flown in one direction and the other.

• Advertisement

Belgium sends them back here because as far as the Belgian authorities are concerned - they came to Belgium from here

Belgium cannot send them back. They ILLEGALLY boarded a truck bound for Ireland that is proven to originate from a Belgian port. If the Belgians are not able to track how they originally got to Belgium then that's their tough cookie.

The EU Migration and Asylum Pact 2023, which is likely to come into effect this year, is ramping up identification protocols for asylum seekers and refugees which will include each individual having facial and fingerprint information taken to improve the ability of states to identify people and track their history of movement between states.

Has Ireland signed on for this yet - I don't think we have, and I don't think we should either.

Nonsense they would have to deport them to their home country they came ,they departed Belgium not Ireland

Belgium would have to accept the request to take charge of these asylum seekers. This is part of the reason why most such requests under Dublin Regulations fail.

I'm also not sure why you think that Ireland shouldn't sign up to a Pact that is aimed at strengthening the control of the EU's external borders and to foster bloc-wide co-operation on the matter for fairer burden sharing.

The two things go hand in hand — better cooperation across all the EU member states means a more effective process for rejecting and deporting unsuccessful asylum applications instead of it being a limbo situation which it is currently. It means we can operate more effectively and start rowing in unison with countries like Greece and Italy rather than against eachother. The current situation is not fit for crisis management.

Lads if you’re just going to abandon reality and make it up as you go along, then why should you imagine that other posters be held to reality which when it suits your argument to put them at a disadvantage?

Either we can all make it up as we go along, or you guys could at least base your ideas on acknowledging the reality of the situation if you’re expecting to be taken seriously.

”Deport them immediately” is neither feasible, realistic, nor effective, and it still wouldn’t stop them making subsequent attempts to enter the UK and remain there illegally.

@Boggles Deport them immediately” is neither feasible, realistic, nor effective, and it still wouldn’t stop them making subsequent attempts to enter the UK and remain there illegally....

Once they get deported it's not our problem anymore,let the UK send them to Rwanda

Yeah and deportations take months, and cost the taxpayer a fortune, something which you are undoubtedly conscious of. In the case of these particular migrants who were discovered in a container, it seems far more effective and costs a hell of a lot less to have them leave voluntarily rather than attempting to go through a lengthy legal process which is unlikely to be successful anyway given the figures for deportation proceedings! That’s the reality of the situation:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/state-spent-5-million-deporting-31538605.amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I have to admit I burst out laughing reading the story on the.news. what a fupping racket🥴

Are all the bleeding hearts on here willing to take one each?

Somehow I don't think so.

We can't keep taking in every person that rocka up in a boat/container. We know we can't but is anyone going to or able to do anything about it?

No to that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

8 of the 14 have now vanished.

News just breaking.

It is understood that at least eight of the individuals are now “missing” following their transfer to an asylum centre in Dublin.

Senior sources have told the Irish Independent that they are not being sought by gardaí as they are not under criminal investigation.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/at-least-eight-of-14-migrants-found-in-rosslare-shipping-container-missing-after-fleeing-state-services/a1708436895.html

What's the cost of flight to Brussels via Ryanair less than €100 one way.... They could be deported in Days if needed by they deported Peter dube Zimbabwean killer found in Dublin fairy rapidly recently .

I found flights via aer Lingus Dublin to Brussels for €34 next month one way

• Advertisement

I'd expect a particular minister to tell us they self deported themselves Nothing to see here folks

It’s obviously not just the cost of the flight though? At that rate they could be just sent back in a container (with air holes this time!). There’s also the legal costs involved, which are far more costly than the cost of a seat on a commercial flight for passengers who have all their travel documents in order.

Anyways they’ve absconded from their accommodation now so aren’t costing the State a cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Just under €6,000 a pop. Expensive, but worth it.

Also, from the article linked - which highlights that we are perfectly entitled to return migrants.

The majority of the costs associated with deportation relate to flights and accommodation in returning an individual to their country of origin or, in the case ofDublin III’ removals, back to the EU state from which they came to Ireland.

What a joke. The authorities in this country are by and large incompetent.

They don’t come from us though? Legal costs are provided for by public funding.

The public aren’t expected to contribute a cent to anyone’s legal costs either other than our own, and even if we do require legal aid, it’s still not free, to anyone.

It free to asylum seekers hence the near unlimited appeals till they get the right answer, they don't pay a cent

It comes from tax payers Just like the exchequer....

Playing word Games won't change that

It’s not free to asylum seekers, and I’m not the one playing word games. I’m just not willing to entertain yours lest anyone be given the wrong impression that there’s any legitimacy whatsoever to what you’re saying:

Means Test & contributions

To qualify for legal services, your income (less certain allowances) must be less than €18,000 per annum. 

Applicants for asylum services will pay a contribution of €10 in total for legal advice and legal in relation to a case before the IPO or the IPAT. An additional contribution would be payable for legal aid in any other matter such as a case before the High Court.

If you have capital resources of more than €4,000 (excluding your home) you may have to pay an additional contribution. 

If you are receiving direct provision from the State (i.e. accommodation and meals provided directly instead of social welfare payments) you may apply to have some of your contribution waived, at the discretion of the Legal Aid Board. 

https://www.legalaidboard.ie/en/our-services/legal-aid-services/services-for-international-protection-applicants/services/general-information/legal-services.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Not being sought by the guards because they have not committed an offence....what the f*, they entered the country illegally.

Advertisement