Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cv writing

• 10-01-2024 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend or suggest a company that would write a cv for me? Thinking of changing jobs and need to get mine updated, I have googled it but that comes up with a myriad of suggestions!

I have read some articles and downloaded templates but really struggle with doing my own,

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭wandererz

PM me your CV. I will see what I can do.

May ask you a good few questions, but that's the nature of the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 homerun123

Been following this guy on social media for a while but haven't bought anything from him so can't vouch for his services. Seems decent though:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭wandererz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Personal details

One of two sentences about yourself and what you're looking for in a job

Work experience

Skills

Education/qualifications

Hobbies

Remember your cv is a list of your achievements and things you want to talk about in the interview.

have a little story or talking point for everything on your CV and don't write anything down you don't want questions on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This x100.

I must read 100 CVS a year as a hiring manager. The ones that stand out are the ones who keep it simple and precise.

One thing that puzzles me is the 1-5 rating I see people put on their skills, then they can’t explain why “communication” is 5/5. If you’re doing that skill rating thing, be ready to justify the rating.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

A good CV has a lot to do with presentation. People say it's just a list of your experience, but I have seen some awful, awful and then some boring lists. The CV that stands out is the one that has the basic information, is formatted in a presentable way and gives me just enough detail that leaves me wanting to ask a little more. This way, I can get through it in a minute and not be left reading an essay of everything every job entailed.

A colleague of mine sent her CV to dozens of employers over a period of a few months. Her CV was the typical list of personal details, education and then work experience which spanned 3 pages, plus a cover letter. She got zero replies. I reformatted her CV and cut out all the unnecessary crap. I took her half page cover letter and summarised it onto her now 2 page CV which was geared toward the type of position she was applying for. The very first application she made with the CV landed her an interview and she got the job.

Oh and don't use the skills ratings. List skills by all means, but don't go rating yourself, or your CV will either end up in the bin, or you'll end up looking like a reject trying to justify your rating.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I saw it about 5 years ago for the first time. Every time it’s in a CV for someone I’m interviewing I challenge it. It can make or break an interview sometimes.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement