Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I`m not aware of any of this supposed threadbanning spree either other than the serial links dumper and one other individual where even his avatar never mind his posts left him looking as having mental problems.

The only other green poster I recall being threadbanned was the very agressive poster who was buying cheap smoky fuel from Northern Ireland while telling the rest of us how great carbon tax was. The last two being quite some time ago. That there was some recent mass threadban sounds like a load of hokum attempting to play down the exodus unless somebody can show otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I started this threadban talk. There was only a couple, but those couple were the ones who fought their corner and put forward stuff for discussion/ridicule/whatever. Without those, the thread has gone quiet. That was my one and only point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

My point was for the amount of posters over the history of this thread who have contributed the majority are not banned. They have just moved onto other threads.

When you see this was the only political thread active on Christmas Day with people complaining about the environment I think that gives you a good indication why people have moved on. Christmas Day and they felt the need to post about the

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

When you see this was the only political thread active on Christmas Day with people complaining about the environment I think that gives you a good indication why people have moved on. Christmas Day and they felt the need to post about the

Perhaps those posting were not religious/dislike Christmas? Ireland isn't a overtly religious country anymore and there are plenty out there who really dislike Christmas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I think it is more interesting because anyone who displays any sort of pro-Green agenda are called "zealot" "green nut" and any number of terms that poeple have found on the web that week

Yet, Christmas day, religious or not was a day for people to log on and moan about the environment. Who is the zealot?

Plus, when was religion the main point of Christmas Day? maybe 30 years ago but not for most families in Ireland anymore. Drinking/family get together etc is what the day is about, and presents :-)

• Advertisement

Many billions being proposed* to put cycling infrastructure alongside existing roads

* I say billions and proposed as the article has absolutely no costs mentioned, either build costs or what the return on the investment would be

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It says in the link that it will cost between €1.5bn and €1.9bn.

Most of the work to be done between 2031 and 2040.

I do not know what your problem is with people posting on Christmas Day is, nor do I really care tbh, but I doubt this is the only thread that people posted on that day, or that all the posts here were from "people complaining about the environment". Whatever that is supposed to be.

If all these posters that previously supported green policies have now moved to other threads, then it`s difficult to come to any conclusion other than they now accept the title of this thread, "Green" policies are destroying this country, is correct is it not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

One other conclusion could be that most people can't be arsed with these neverending X (insert the thing you really dislike) bashing threads.

Thanks. I missed that when skimming through the article.

I can't see how 3500km of cycleway could be built for that money. Especially if it's along or near existing roads then you'd imagine land will have to be CPOd

• Advertisement

400km is already done in Greenways and 900km in planned Greenways.

Details are sketchy, it's hard to say on total cost based on that article.

I imagine that CPO won't be too difficult.Going by the motorway experience. It will depend on the price agreed.

It's always a guessing game with threads.

When this one started I didn't think it would last as long.

I posted now and then but never really got into it.

I could see good points from both sides.

@charlie14

In my experience it's definitely a stretch to claim that people you were debating with are now in agreement with you because they stopped posting.

You may have won an argument but that doesn't necessarily mean you have made a convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is one reason.

The other reason the thread has gone quiet is that posters cant be arsed responding to more anti-Green nonsense and misinformation.

CPOs can and are a nightmare. I've been involved in more than one and just a pain in the hole. Even if you agree to the sale and don't need a CPO, it' a fuppin nightmare.

On the costs,

Planned greenways are already costed. This is ~900km worth.

To my untrained eye they are saying the planned 900km is costed at €940m, while the remaining 2,200km is between €520m and €940m. That doesn't make an iota of sense. Nor does it cater for inflation and once 2031 comes to start the bulk of the work, those costs will be much much higher.

Summary here - https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/280480/9dca41f4-863a-4d76-9313-ceafaeb9cf7c.pdf#page=null

I was never out to win an arguement nor was I looking for converts. Neither have I any idea as to what I was supposedly trying to convert posters on.

I have no problem with green energy and I`m not as one poster here seems to believe anti the environment. Again something I have no idea what that is supposed to entail, or even how anyone could be anti the environment. Unlike some here I am not someone who just follows dictates from on high and defends them unquestioning with a religious zeal. I come from a generation that is only too aware of where that in the past brough us.

I would be more in the area of a contrarian if you like in that I believe when it comes to proposals that will affect me, mine and the economic well being of the country it is more than reasonable to ask questions and point out where these proposals are taking us and the rational behind them. Many of which I see as being based on nothing more than an ideology and at times a particular Irish green ideology all of its own.

I live in the real world and have asked questions along with many others here where is the rational behing culling cattleignored, the imaginary boundaries that were being proposed for communities of 500+ and 500-, and the insistence on no LNG or gas storage when both Eirgrid and the CRU were telling Ryan they were required for energy security. Questions that were ignored and still have not been answered. When some here were telling us the capital costs of wind generation were only going to go down because of economy of scale etc. I along with many others here posted the end of year financial reports from wind turbine manufacturers that showed the opposite was going to be the case.Like others I have asked questions on the rational of the E.U. regarding wood burning as carbon neutral and a guarantee of green electricity generation which in Ireland`s experience was not worth the paper it was written on as well as others taking advantage of cheap fossil fuels to boost their economy producing all this green tech that following the trajectory we are on by using will wreck our economy. Again, no answers.

But to get to the real biggy, like others I have posted verifiable figures on just a section of this offshore wind plan we are suppose to follow to get us to zero carbon emissions by 2050 that are not so much totally economically unviable as laughable to anybody that can add two and two imo, and I have yet to see any answer that shows otherwise.

So no, I am not looking to win an arguement or make converts. I am asking questions that I belive in a democracy deserve to be answered and I hope the lack of answers from those that have been championing these policies along with their drop off in posting here is now due to at least some of them pausing for thought as to just where following these policies will bring us.

I would not see people asking questions based on verifiable costing as to how we are supposed to fund this wind revolution as well as some of the nonsense we have seen to date as anti-green nonsense or misinformation.

You are someone I seem to recall being a green supporter from a long way back, even though I cannot recall you posting much if anything on this thread, so perhaps you would care to have a shot at answering those questions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I do not know what you define as anti-green nonsense but I would like to kindly ask you to point out couple of the misinformation you claim that were posted here.

I think your right to be asking any questions you see fit.

Post whatever you like and let the dice fall as the discussion evolves.

However I'll still wait for the other posters you referenced to explain themselves and what they post if they so choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Might be remembering incorrectly but don't you deny that humans are responsible for climate change?

You might have had a CPO problem but I know people who did very well out of CPO.

I have no doubt that you can allow for inflation in this project like any other infrastructure project delivered over 16 years.

Apparently there is a full report that runs to almost 1000 pages (are they getting paid by weight ?🙂).

Anyway I haven't time presently to delve into that much detail.

Seeing as this thread is about policy I'll just say that I think improving cycling facilities is a good policy in general but I wouldn't be writing blank cheques.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Of course people have done very well out of it. I've done well too. But I've also been messed around with a CPO and without. You can do well from a CPO and still have to put up with enormous shite. At one stage I had to forcibly block trucks building a motorway as they'd not reinstated access to land 6 months after the due date. That's the kind of crap I refer to, not so much the financial side.

The full report is here - https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/280482/50bf7376-dc20-4606-9898-7f307414e083.pdf#page=null. It's a lot of waffle and repetition from the parts I've gone through to date. The costings have stated they aren't taking inflation into account so I think tit's a bit sneaky to be putting figures out based on prices from 2022. Plus the estimations on casts don't seem to stack up (as described in https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121600657/#Comment_121600657)

I'll agree that infrastructure improvement is always welcome. But it shouldn't be done just on the back of "more cycle lanes" and should have some analysis on any return for the investment.

BTW, one of the "acceptable" designs is to paint white lines a meter wide on roads and to the left of it is the cycle lane. That sort of rubbish shouldn't be entertained

Hopefully if some of our mising brethren do return, then it will not be with a lot of the waffle and evasion that has gone on here in the past on questions they are asked on a proposed plan they are backing.

Thanks for the link.

I'll have a look at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The Greens are rattled. Resorting to puff pieces in the Irish Times and hoping to visit every councillor in the country. I'm not sure what they think visiting counsellors will achieve, but good luck to Eamon (presumably) cycling all of the greenways as he does it.

Paywalled, so see https://archive.ph/BKGQZ

Well they do say God loves a trier. But in that big book covering the Christian God it does point out that "By their deeds you will know them" which leaves Ryan and the Greens at this late stage very much rowing against the tide where rural voters are concerned in that they have been weighed on the scales and found very much wanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Humans are responsible for climate change? This is exactly why people do not trust greens anymore. Statement like this show complete lack of understanding the issue of climate change. Not only that it is the same rehashed concept of baseless scaremongering it is actually increasing every time.

1960s - 'Oil will be gone in 10 years. We need millions to fix it.'

1970s - 'There will be an Ice Age in 10 years. We need millions to fix it.'

1980s - 'Acid rain will destroy all the crops in 10 years. We need billions to fix it.'

1990s - 'The Ozone layer will be destroyed in 10 years. We need billions to fix it.'

2000s - 'The glaciers will all melt in 10 years. We need billions to fix it.'

2010s - 'The coast will be underwater in 10 years. We need billions to fix it.'

2020s - 'Climate Change will kill us all in 10 years. We need trillions to fix it.'

As long as naïve people like you are willing to let the government keep them in fear, the government will continue to invent problems, increase taxes and endless spending while sending our national debt ever higher to the point it can never be paid back and eventually bankrupting our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's the extremist messaging and rhetoric that causes the most issues for me.

Extremist views:

- human's are responsible for climate change

- human's have nothing to do with climate change

Reasonable view:

- humans are contributing to climate change

- we really have no idea to what extent we are contributing to climate change

Anyone arguing the extremist views above can be safely ignored.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Cool, thanks for illustrating my point. You're not a moderate view on the topic...

• Advertisement

When you consider the points made by the poster on the 6 prior decades the views then were not moderate either.

When you continually cry wolf and get it wrong, it becomes more difficult to get people to beleive that this time you are right.

Advertisement