Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They work bloody hard to earn that money - it includes overtime and antisocial hours allowances. These hours take a toll on personal and family life.

But with all that cash they should have no problem recruiting and retaining Gardai, right?

The number of Garda members who resigned last year reached 164, some 50 per cent higher than 2022 and just over six times higher than the number recorded in 2016. Many of those resigning are doing so in the first five years of service.

A Garda campaign targeting recruits aged up to 50 – in a bid to boost numbers after record resignations from the force – will be launched next year, the Irish Mail on Sunday has learned.

It follows a year when the number of rank-and-file gardaí hit its lowest in almost six years.

This year also saw the number of serving gardaí fall below 14,000 for the first time in five years.

In 2023 alone, 156 gardaí have resigned – and this is expected to reach 164 by the end of the month – as members warn the continuous exodus from the force is damaging already depleted morale.

What is it exactly that you hope to achieve by posting continual rubbish in this thread?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

It’s a probationary contract I think you’re talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭crinkley

You'd be better to read posts correctly than make assumptions but thank you for proving a number of my points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

@Pudsy33 as well

Full time established Civil Servants have no contract of employment.

This is from a PQ a few years back - from our pal Paschal.

“Notwithstanding this because established civil servants cannot be employed under an employment contract - other than a probationary contract - any staff employed on contract will therefore hold unestablished status.” The full response is here - https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2017-04-11/437/

Yeah that would sail through, I’d be personally happy with that. I think if the unions endorsed the 8.5 forward it would pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Quitelife

In private sector you’d work at a pace three or four times faster than most public sector jobs ( I’ve worked both private & public sector ! )

The pension in public sector is guaranteed for a small circa 5% contribution unlike private sector DC schemes which will never give you the same pension is another big plus for a public sector job .

I’ve worked for the big 4 in accounting and in the civil service. Was given more work in the civil service. Just shows you how pointless one persons example is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Advertisement

Clueless jibber jabber.

Im sure there are many roles in the private sector that are a faster pace than some roles in the PS. Likewise there are many PS roles that are faster pace in than the private sector.

The underlying assumption that’s been force fed into Independent Newspaper readers is that 100% of the private sector work at 100% capacity 100% of the time. Simply not true and even putting forward the argument in the way you have is so lazy and ridiculous.

By way of example, in my last role, some of the big solicitor firms would try and poach our staff offering huge pay increases to leave and join them. A couple did including one of worst performers… who was seen as a superstar there. I’m not going to draw conclusions from that one example to slate all private sector though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I’m flat to the mat in my public service job. It just wouldn’t be possible to do 4 times what I do in a day.

Most of my colleagues are the same.

That’s the reality of a lot of areas in the CS. Some there is shag all to do. Either way if you join hoping to get a pace 25% that of your private sector job you might be very very disappointed haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

A lot of talk in my office anyways today that if FF were in power alone they would have offered 10% and we would be now entering a good phase pre elections of IR peace. Obviously all hearsay but you never can discount the chatter. On the other hand not one said they would vote for 8.5% over 30 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Average earnings in the public sector were approx €47000 in 2022. https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-elcq/earningsandlabourcostsq42022finalq12023preliminaryestimates/

I’d expect this means that the majority of public sector workers pay tax at the marginal rate plus mandatory pension contributions and pension levy.

So the employer (the government) will see a good chunk of that pay increase returned in direct taxes and levies on income, not to mention consumption taxes when what’s netted is spent.

An employer in the private sector sees sweet FA back when salaries rise in their business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

FG have never respected nor looked after the public and civil service. Others have murdered public servants mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭bren2001

Work to rule is pointless, it ain’t gonna happen. It’ll be one day strikes.

I’m not a civil servant. At no point have I said I was.

I’m public sector. I have a contract. It’s in my office drawer (solely because I just **** signed it).

Check where people work before you quote irrelevant things at them.

Apologies, I misconstrued your original post.

Nice overreaction though.

No bother.

If someone says they have a signed contract in their drawer, they likely have a contract…

I retract my passive aggressive tone from the reply (if that’s possible).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Well any small chance I had of voting ff or fg Is 100% out the window after hearing pascal on newstalk tonight practically goating us in action and trying to spin it like he's not being tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭spark_tank

There's definitely more support from the public this time around than in previous years, going by the comments on news articles and platforms such as Reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,314 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why did you leave the public sector, in that case? Considering you think its so much easier and better.

(I've never worked in a PS role)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,466 ✭✭✭✭noodler

8.5, call it 9.5 with more in 2024 and you have a deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭amacca

Indeed...it really begs that question.

I'd say they'll come back with something along yhe lines of they needed a challenge and their talents were being wasted in the public sector etc 🙃

Very surprised that the Govt opening gambit was as high as 8.5% over 2.5 years.

Even more surprised that the Unions told them to bolt so strongly… actually delighted they did.

There are major issues in relation to recruitment and retention in the PS and in the CS where I work. This is a major issue, especially in major urban areas where I just don’t know how COs can afford to live. There are major structural problems within the CS that need to be fixed but even bigger problems elsewhere in the PS such as healthcare which is in an almighty mess and where recruitment is impossible in many areas.

This might be the last one size fits all pay agreement as certain sectors need far more attention in relation to recruitment and retention and may need to be targeted appropriately.

Back to pay - go into double digits and reduce agreement to two years, front load a pay increase of 7% from 1st Jan just gone with the remaining paid on 1st Jan 2025 and everyone’s happy.

Post edited by bobbysands81 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭AyeGer

The opening offer was much less than the 8.5% Bobby. 8.5 was the 2nd offer after the first was quickly rejected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The pay offer for 2024 from the government is 3.5% to come in OCTOBER. I don't know about you but the last time I checked the calendar years begin in January, and not October. They have raked in cash in government coffers due to inflation to the point of boasting of how overflowing the coffers are and yet mysteriously believe that inflation should not apply to the state regarding employing its workers.

Let's make one thing clear. A 3.5% increase coming in October is an overall increase of 0.875% for the entirety of 2024.

This is a disgraceful offer and, on that basis alone, the entire deal cannot be accepted unless that offer comes from January 1st and is backdated and that'd be an absolute minimum for 2024.

Also, of course, FF/FG want to give the 3.5% in October as close as possible to the general election even though it's a paltry amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

A little off topic but on glancing through the thread from time to time what gets the general public riled up when public pay talks are on is that they know TDs will also be getting these increases. Don't know why TDs are not separate. Maybe someone can explain. Was it always the case they were linked.

Also, just to add what has been already said many times before. Some posters think we all get this huge pot of money at retirement. I'm a member of the SPS. At 68 I'll have 33 years service and a pension based on the modeller of 7 to 8k in my current role. After over 3 decades of service hardly a golden pension.

Advertisement