Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There's a market for the Irish connections conversation in the US, not a big one, but percentages scale. He won't be replacing Larry King, but if he wants to cash in on constant references to Ireland and being Irish, and he wants to throw in his obvious passion JFK nostalgia into the mix, there's no better place than the US of A to do it. I'm not saying he will do it, I'm merely saying he'd be mad not to consider the possibility, because the same thing won't work in the UK or Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭Tork

He's making a hames of a his new job across the water, and is exposing his limitations for all to see. He's not going to come across any better to Americans of any sort. He's not witty or charming, he's not much of a storyteller and he doesn't have red hair. Not a chance!

That's an "Ireland" problem, not a Tubridy problem. A market as small as Ireland, you're playing with the hand you're dealt. A-listers aren't flying in to be interviewed by ANYONE on a Friday night. You get them when they're available on a Wednesday afternoon on a stopover or whatever. Wouldn't be an issue in New York or LA.

James Corden has next to nothing going from him, and look at how he took off in the US. Tubridy won't ever reach those heights, but a little of being from "across the pond" can go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

And there was me thinking that Cordon was as despised in the states as in the UK. Guess it proves there's a market for fake personas if you package it up well enough. Over to you Noel.

• Advertisement

• I honestly thought someone was playing with the html here, playing a little joke on me, but this is actually on LinkedIn. Posting style has a bang of familiarity 🧐

There’s people over there that despise him (Corden) of course, and he seems to be a truly horrible person. But he’s made a very successful career over there.

RTE pay and payments aside (which won’t matter a jot in the States), Tubridy would never be regarded as obnoxious as Corden. Middle of the road, safe pair of hands within his limitations, some appeal to an older (read affluent) Irish American audience. A pro like Kelly could swing that no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭yagan

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭chrisd2019

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

There's no universe in which I'm going to defend James Corden but there's really no comparison between him and Tubs. He might be an arsehole but he created, wrote and starred in his own very successful sitcom. I watched a number of his interviews on that US chatshow and while I'd rather drink bleach than watch it regularly, there's no denying Corden belonged in that millieu and was very comfortable rubbing shoulders with A listers. For what he had to do, ie fluff 7 minute entertainment chats and viral video segments, he was adept and didn't look out of place.

Try to imagine Ryan Tubridy catapulted into anything like that. It would be a nightly car crash of awkward lines of questioning, stilted conversation, Irish heavy blather, pissed off guests and an audience increasingly uncomfortable with the ineptitude of the the host who looks completely out of his depth.

Unless Tubridy went on one of the propaganda channels like Fox, where I'm sure an empty "My butler's fourth cousin had an Irish grandfather" schtick would probably be enough to carry a show, then there's no chance he is going to go into US media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

No disrespect meant to McSavage. I liked more of his stuff than I disliked. He's an odd guy, but has real talent. That TV show he had on RTE hit the nail on the head of much of the ridiculousness of noughties Ireland, ie the catchy tune and video about Irish hospital consultants "Overpay us, overpay us, Fúck you and overpay us!" was a memorable one!

I just meant from the perspective of all his "esteemed" relatives, including our hero Tubs, he is certainly viewed as the black sheep of the Andrews clan.

• There’s Shinner TD Chris Andrews, don’t forget 😁 He’s in my constituency and he is the most responsive TD of them all, to be fair, he went to a bit of trouble on my behalf.

I attend Ryan’s bro Prof Niall Tubridy at his MS clinic. He is an exceptionally astute doctor, he calls a spade a spade, there’s no frivolity or pretence, he is evidently driven by the quest to do the best for patients, I feel safe in his hands. Not everyone likes his manner, but I see he is very well motivated and works very hard, and doesn’t hold back on criticism of failings of the system.

David McSavage is a very clever creative guy, totally odd, in fact attending his show I felt very uncomfortable but well entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Paul Henderson CEO DMG Media Ireland - referring to Tubridy as "one of the most outstanding broadcasters Ireland has ever produced."

Chríst.

They are like some clique that hasn't yet realised the game is up. Perhaps it isn't. The fact that the Irish mammies don't seem to see through his shtick is what has saved him to date. But "outstanding broadcaster" takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ahh Linkedin, the various shades of brównnosing continues (with 1 notable exception from a commenter on linked in who subsequently gets berated!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Would The Daily Mail and Virgin Media see eye to eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

If he wants to make a go of it in London, he'd be better off joining the Daily Mail there.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭animalinside

James Corden is likeable and can be funny, guests warm to him, he doesn't get phased by even the highest of celebrities and he just looks like he belongs. Not the brightest or most knowledgeable but doesn't pretend to be. The opposite to Tubridy in some ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Irish Daily Mail rather than the Daily Mail. Not sure that the main edition will be be carrying it. It is all part of keeping Tubridy's Irish profile current and making him more marketable to Irish broadcasters. The problem with a return to RTE is that RTE is now a slightly different RTE to the one that dumped Tubridy and lot of the previous management has been replaced.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭backwards_man

Sorry have to disagree. Cordon has a personality. One might not like it but he has mimicked an American chat shownhost type voice, attitude and personality to good effect. RT is not in that league in anyway shape or form. He talks way too fast for a start. He has zero ability to.moderate his flow of consciousness as we have all heard in his nervous fre days at VR. He is too parochial to ever make it in the US even on PBS. I just don't see it. The American audience requires a certain amount of familiarity even among those looking for something "quirky"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Gift grub did a great sketch of him this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Irish Mail on Sunday readership is tiny.

Another climbdown. He's not really coping well since he was sacked from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I feel like I'm hallucinating reading some of this. The guy is out of his depth in the UK and being completely exposed for his lack of wit and personality. Suggesting he could be a good fit for a bigger job in the US is ludicrous in my opinion.

Virgin Radio seems to be the Alan Partridge/Rubber Chicken circuit for Tubridy. Fame has a shelf life and if someone like Tubridy is out of the Irish public eye for too long, the Irish public will forget about him. This kind of Phil Space column is necessary if he is to remain viable as a hire in the Irish market.

Despite him being on Virgin Radio, there seems to be an awful lot of work being done to promote him in Ireland. The Q102 syndication part of the deal is more understandable in that respect as it gives him an Irish audience. It is as if there is no long-term intention of him remaining on UK radio as his main value is in Irish broadcasting.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Ah would ya stop

Apart from a nationwide radio show in Britain and a national newspaper column over here? NK proving why hes worth his commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

That and all the troops he can call into battle too eh ?

This James Corden?

Didn't Tubridy try to break into the US broadcasting market about ten years ago with his "The Irish Are Coming" book. It got him a few interviews on local and morning TV programmes but I don't think that there were any job offers. Do you think that he's going to try to break into the US market (again)?

Tubridy seems to be an RTE lifer whereas Corden seems to have a range of talents. Fast-forwarding a year, do you think that Tubridy will be back, full-time, on an Irish radio station?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭yagan

He can never say he made it in London if his sojourn there mostly dependent on listeners in Ireland.

• Advertisement

This is such a disappointing response. Anyone who tries to inject a bit of reality into the debate, to increase the standard of discourse from base-level pile-on, is deemed a shill. This is designed to silence anything that goes against the narrative. It's unhealthy, and it's wrong.

There's lots of things to criticise Tubridy about, but it's just bizarre that his obvious and objective successes keep being used.

Let's just look at the facts.

In July last year, Tubridy and Kelly were up in front of an Oireachtas hearing, being rightly grilled in front of the Committee and the nation about the payment scandal that was had rocked the country. In August last year, RTE announced that Tubridy's contract would not be renewed. Everyone thought; that's it, the end. Both he and Kelly would fade into obscurity. Kelly was dismissed as a jumped-up chocolate salesman who had got lucky with fooling an inept quango into hiring an incompetent nepobaby for obscene money in a job he was unqualified for.

Then, less than 6 months later, Kelly has secured for his client:

• A national daily radio show in the UK on a private radio station owned by none other than News Corp.
    • Syndication across multiple Irish radio stations
    • A dedicated syndicated Irish Sunday radio show
    • Sponsorship from a major international corporation
    • A weekly column in a national Irish Sunday newspaper

Remember, these are all private, for profit, companies we're talking about. Operating in a cut-throat environment where every cent, every second, every drop of ink, every pixel counts and has to be accounted for by and to the major players of the media industry. It's not RTE, it's the real world. There's no reason for ANY of them to engage with Tubridy at all, other than the pursuit of success and cold, hard profit.

Is this the work of an out-of-his-league chocolate salesman? Is this the work for an inept "Alan Partridge" type broadcasting buffoon?

Be honest, if not here on Boards, at least in your heart.

Like him or loath him - and there is much to loath - Kelly has delivered for his client. 100%

And there's so, so many things to criticise Tubridy for, but his objective success to date at bouncing back from certain ruin is not one of them.

And no, I'm not a shill for Kelly or for Tubridy. Not a fan, not on his side.

I'm just pointing out objective facts. And if you're going to condemn me for that, its says an awful not more about you than it does about me.

Advertisement