Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes very possible.

And from an older generation not used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Harsh, but fair 😂

TBH though I've had them correct my steering when I've moved out slightly to avoid a pothole or a cyclist so they're far from perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Lanes? That's cute.

Not round here for the most part. The roads today were the same, unmarked with unsealed edges. It pushes you out from the ditch which is really undesirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭grumpygit

Looks like another allotment of BYD cars about to set sail. Be interesting to know breakdown of car types and country quotas

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Corklike1

by the way, in 1.1 update you can also use the NFC patch on your center armrest to set up your phone or smart watch to unlock and start the car instead of the card they give you.

• Advertisement

That sounds class. Can you use the wing mirror NFC patch to unlock too?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

Anybody got the app working yet? I can register but I can't figure out how to link it to the car, it says got to settings - link - remote control, but I can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irish  don

Same here I am presuming you have to wait for dealer to give details to Byd then dealer will email you when that is done anybody else who the app up and running any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Didn't someone say dealer has to send off your details and attach you to car and also sim card etc to you. Read like 3 weeks for atto owners..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Unfortunately it's becoming apparent that BYD South Dublin(Maybe other dealers too?) have taken more orders than cars delivered in the first shipment. I see on FB people reporting they are going to have to wait for 2nd shipment in March/April(even that's not guaranteed) despite putting deposit down in early Nov and being promised ready for collection early Jan. I've spoken to our dealer a few times in the last couple of weeks, keeps promising me spec we ordered is due into them any day now but we may have to go for a light interior instead of the dark we ordered. Seems like most orders were for dark interiors but the shipment was roughly 50/50 light and dark.

I'm starting to stress if this is how badly they're handling ordering/deliveries then how will post sales service will go

When I tried to register on the app on Saturday it told me to contact the dealer, who said to keep trying it as the upload in batches every few days. I tried on Wednesday and it let me into the app but asks me to scan a qr code to link the car, I assumed they must have done it on their side when it let me register, I'll wait and see.

I was never given any guarantee that my spec would arrive when they hoped.

They knew they had a batch arriving in Cork and I chose a first and second preference combo when I paid my deposit. I got lucky that one of them came in.

I think at this early stage it's not reasonable to compare them to the well oiled order/build/delivery machine of the established Euro brands. Have they more orders than allocated deliveries, almost certainly, but that will settle over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Agreed. It appears BYD shipped a load out.

The bigger issue which the distributors need to solve for ASAP. Is the shipped spec to local orders. Shared across dealers this needs to be much tighter and not pot luck which is kinda the initial operation right now.

We look to be changing spec not major issue it's our second choice. But not first choice which is what ideally we would have liked. But we not into waiting further .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

No guarantees on collection date were given to us either which is fine but it was never mentioned that we might not get our preferred spec in January. In fact we were told we ordered quite early so we have our pick of interior/exterior colours and awd/rwd and can expect to collect in early/mid Jan. Something has clearly gone wrong with the logistics and they made promises they can't now keep.

I'm only speculating but I think either they didn't have a list of what cars were going to be delivered in the shipment but took orders anyway or they did have a list but don't have any centralised ordering system between the dealers so they could say to a customer 'sorry that spec is sold out in the first shipment so you can either wait or pick something else'. Altogether a very poor customer experience for such a big purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

Fair to say that this is a new model, Ireland is a small, tiny country in the grand scheme and delays with such an in demand car are not surprising. I had to wait for the new iPhone, Americans got it first, it’s the way tech works and BYD are no different.

They also did the fairly unique in leasing these ships to cut out the middle man so to speak and get cars moving quicker than has traditionally been the case. 7,000 on one ship is impressive stuff.

Nothing like waiting for your new car though, it’s the only thing that reminds you of those long weeks before Christmas as a kid IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭djan

Obviously not what soon to be owners want to hear but great to see such demand for a relatively unknown brand.

The established manufacturers also struggle to keep delivery dates so it's only normal to have this be the case for China based manufacturing for a tiny and largely irrelevant market.

Hopefully this demand will lead to the introduction of their other mid to high end models.

Yeah the Han was what I'd ideally like, probably out of my price range though in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Same thing happened with the Dolphins. I was assured my spec/colour had arrived in country before Christmas and all was good for early Jan collection. Then got a mail last week saying it didn't arrive and could be Q2 but no guarantees. Apparently they don't know what's on the ships until they open the containers which seems mad.

• Advertisement

When I picked mine up on Saturday, the sales guy said that they are getting random cars and matching them to orders at the moment, so I was lucky that I was the first on the list with AWD, Atlantis grey and blue interior. He said that's just because it the first lot of orders, going forward they be getting shipments to match orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Ballylad

Hi, what were your quoted price including delivery etc for the seal AWD, being quoted 51786,

Thnks

that is the price at all 5 BYD garages in the country, there is no haggling and no price differences.

yes u can use ur watch or phone after u set them up to unlock the car by tapping on the wing mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Saw my first one on the road yesterday evening - black one on the quays in Cork. Looked great!

50 euro premium refund from Aviva for switching from i4 M50 to Seal!

I'll take it. Brings my premium down to around 350.

All this talk of EVs being way more expensive to insure, is it yet another instance of disinformation by whoever is behind all the anti EV sentiment all over the internet?

On the efficiency, I was in Dublin for work the last two days and it's about 75km each way. I charged on Wednesday night and when I got home it had about 10% battery left when I got home today, so 300km from used 90%. That was mostly motorway and there was traffic soit wasn't a consistent speed, I preheated the car for about 10 mins each way and had the air con on most of the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

10 mins of pre heating is excessive I feel. Try knock it back to 5 and see if that helps. EV heating is much quicker to get to 22 or whatever.

I wouldn't normally be doing those distances so I won't be preheating it unless it's icy normally, just turned it on using the key while I was getting ready to leave and took about 10mins for me to get myself sorted. I'm not particularly worried about the efficiency myself, just said I'd put it up as someone asked the other day.

• Advertisement

What was the kWh/100km as reported by the car itself?

Advertisement