Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Sounds awful alright. Certainly not easy to put a positive spin on anything like that. But there are some things to say about a statistic like that. It might give a little less reason to simply think men are awful - if you are finding that it is hurting your overall impression of men and dating.

Firstly another study that cited the study you linked to also noted: "Although there seem to be no increasing trends in overall divorce rates in patients with cancer, there is a gender discrepancy in these rates." Which basically means that although men are more likely to leave a sick wife than a wife is to leave a sick man - it is not solely due to their illness here. Because there is not always a sign that people in illness are more likely to divorce. They are divorcing at the same rate as the general population. So it is not that men are 7 times more likely to leave their woman if she gets sick so much as in relationships that were statistically on weak ground anyway - an illness is 7 times more likely to be the breaking point for men than it is for women. Which certainly puts a slightly less awful light on men here!

Second your study notes that the shocking "7 times" statistic actually goes down the longer the relationship has been going on. This reflects a tendency for women to fully commit to a marriage sooner than men. Which to me suggests people might be marrying a little too quickly. Another study which linked to your one also notes similar that "early detection (before the age of 36) and an absence of offspring increase the risk of the relationship falling apart" which suggests that one strong motivator in the break down is that men who want children are moving on because they are now in a relationship where having children might be impossible or severely problematic. In fact if I (a man) was childless and I got severely sick I _as the sick person_ would be positively asking my partner to leave me and find someone else so they can realize their life goal of starting a family because they can no longer do it with me. They might love me and want to stay with me through it. But I would not want that.

Finally - while the study note this "7 times" statistic it does not attempt to explain why this statistic might be happening. It would be easy to assume it just shows men are awful. But is that what it shows? What if in reality just as many women want to leave a sick man as the opposite. But because of society being how it is - men are simply more able to do so? Or what if for whatever reason when one spouse has to take on the roles and responsibilities of the sick spouse - then women are getting more support in this socially or economically or emotionally than men so men are more likely to crack and leave? That is just two random thoughts but there is any number of infinite reasons that could explain WHY men are "7 times" more likely to leave a sick spouse that are more complex than men simply being awful human beings that are more likely to be self centered and bail on someone they claim to love.

So yea over all your study does not look good for men. But it is also worth seeing clearly what the study does not say and does not tell us - so we can be cautious to not jump to conclusions about what the statistic actually means. All too often we the public will see a statistic a study produces and we assume the reason why that statistic exists, or what the story it tells is. And we are often very very wrong when we do!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I think ‘some people’ or ‘certain people’ is more accurate to say than ‘we’

Well yes that is how I would mean it. When I talk about society as a whole or "we the public" as a whole I usually do not mean every single person in that group. But significant chunks of it. In fact while I said "we" I was not actually including myself in it! Because I treat statistics in studies much differently than most people I've met due to my training and background and work experiences.

Though I think a lot of people use language that way, to the point this kind of (mis)use is often just assumed. But I take the point that it is not the most ideal phrasing one could use. It tends to lead to slogans like "not all men" when no one was talking about "all" men in the first place.

Alas if English was perfect and/or people used it perfectly, it would probably cease to be as beautiful a language as it actually is :) So I take the bad with the good on that one and always try to do better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I’m not sure why I got included here but I’m happy to join the threesome

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Goodigal

How would you have the time, or mental capacity (to remember who was who!) to message 20-50 people a day?! Fair play 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Aren't women more likely to initiate divorce in general but in this unique situation men are more likely to leggit? Sounds more to me like women stick around when **** gets tough and blokes run when there's nothing in it for them anymore.

I dont buy the whole, he's noble for leaving cause he wants kids. Each to their own but it wouldn't justify a seven times more likely to leave to me. Like I would find that harsh in a situation where it was just the woman couldnt have kids and man was not willing to look into alternative ways to have children..let alone leaving her sick and half dead. Sorry but life is **** hard and what's the point of 'love' if you're not in it together?

Oh the society thing...women are able to be kinder, less selfish and more reliable because society allows them too and cause they can gossip with their friends but poor men aren't able to do that so gotta be selfish and feck off the minute the **** hits the fan.

I just didn’t appreciate being lumped in with ignorant people 🤷🏻‍♀️And also I found the ‘we’ condescending because I knew full well you weren’t including yourself in that category.

That is all :)

I know exactly what I want. I don’t know where you are getting the idea that I don’t.

I don't however believe you can know somebody inside out on a first date and whether you are compatible or not. It takes a bit of time and there’s nothing wrong with that. Things end for me early doors because I know what I want. I don’t mind you having your opinion, it’s just a little baffling.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

To your first question - I genuinely do not know. I have not seen or read any data on who initiates divorce in "normal" situations where illness is not a factor. So it is difficult to say either way if your impression here holds.

To your second paragraph - I did not suggest it was "Noble" or not. Nor would I suggest that this is the reason at all. I simply do not know why they are "7 times" more likely to leave in this situation. Rather I was suggesting that seeing the statistic "7 times" on it's own tells us absolutely nothing about the hows and whys behind it. And I was throwing out the first two random examples that came to my head. There could be any reason why this statistic is as it is.

Totally agree with you that it is "harsh" to leave someone just because they can no longer have kids. But the reality is many in our species are heavily motivated and controlled by instinct and desire to produce and parent. And it can often override rational and alternative thinking. And it is more than just "having" a kid - but the complete process of parenting it/them too. So while you can seek alternative ways to obtain children you still have to ask yourself if the new situation where the other parent is going to be long term ill, or soon dead, is one you can parent children in. Seeking "alternative ways to have children" is great sure, but is only one step on a long long road.

Your last paragraph I think is in general not really a fair appraisal either. I for one certainly hold no "poor men" narrative in my head. If you know any of my posts on this forum you know I espouse a strong "Discipline" and "Take Ownership" and "Get After It" and "Personal Responsibility" narrative in general and at my fellow men. I am the last on the list who is likely to "poor men" anything. I'd be the first to kick them into action and responsibility :)

But at the same time we also hear often suicide is higher in men, men are less likely to discuss or address mental health issues, less likely to ask for help in hard situations, and so forth. So rather than his being a "poor men" thing it's more of a "What to be aware of" thing. Which as it happens is exactly what the study you linked to says too. Their closing thoughts about their own statistic is:

"we recommend that medical providers be especially sensitive to early suggestions of marital discord in couples affected by the occurrence of a serious medical illness, especially when the woman is the affected spouse and it occurs early in the marriage. Early identification and psychosocial intervention might reduce the frequency of divorce and separation, and in turn improve quality of life and quality of care."

At the end of the day this discussion is not a hill I would die on. You suggested the statistic is one that makes you hesitant to date and I simply thought it would alleviate your concern a little if I showed you the many ways such a statistic might not be saying what, or be as awful as, it first seems. In short: Just trying to be nice here :)

I would often write things like "We as a society" or "We as a species" or "we the public". As would many others.

I sometimes therefore just assume because writing such is so common - that people reading it would know that such a sentence does not A) include everybody or B) assume any single individual is or is not included. While I think you are right that another phrasing is likely better - it is also right that this phrasing is both valid and common too.

But such is language. I put a LOT of thought into every post I write on forums like this. But nothing I write will ever be perfect. Nor, I feel, would I want it to be :) Close maybe. But perfection would be robotic and awful. And my posts are already robotic enough :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

• Advertisement

I think it’s only commonly used by people who work or study in a university.

And I don’t agree with the context you used it in - I had thought it was more generally used when discussing democracy etc. rather than in a more negative context like mass stupidity/ignorance.

Probably quite true as I have been heavily trained in how to read studies, interpret statistics, and write about and review research. So you are likely hitting the nail square in noticing I drop into that mode when I am writing about a link someone offers on a forum. It's automatic. I am probably (at 45) too old to change now! Hehe.

Hmmm I am not sure though I would consider what I wrote as describing either stupidity or ignorance. Actually I have a more positive spin on what I wrote than that.

I see our species as a Narrative Machine. That is - the human brain operates on narratives. So when given a piece of data in isolation - the brain often tries to build a simple and concise narrative to "hold" and "explain" it. In short the brain tries to tell stories about data - or rebuild existing stories around data. The moment you give someone a statistic like "Women are 2 times more likely to do X than Men" the brain is likely to very quickly build a reasoning as to why this is so. And it is very likely to be wrong if it does for a lot of evolutionary sound reasons.

I think it is in general a beautiful and beneficial thing about humanity. But it can misfire too and have us build a detrimental story quickly about something that could have any number of possible real explanations. And I would not assign that to mere stupidity or ignorance. In myself or anyone else.

The Comic Author Terry Pratchett once said he thinks calling us Homo Spaien (Wise Man) was a mistake and we should have been called Pans Narrans (The storytelling chimpanzee.). And I find that idea quite beautifying and elevating in it's way. If we were truly wise (doubtful if you look at us as a whole) but nothing else we would merely be Unemotive Vulcans. It's our telling of story to ourselves and others and our children that makes humanity beautiful, not it's wisdom.

I know you were trying to be nice. I'm in a cocoon at the moment figuring out what it is I want exactly. 😊

Just being aware of that statistic tho makes me feel not inclined to bother and there's other studies showing women happiest when single.

I think it is widely known that women tend to initiate divorce more.

I'm not saying you said 'noble' but there is an unspoken praise men get when they are seen as paternal...and with your example it could be interpreted as...'poor guy just wants to be a dad, so he has to leave his wife for dead' 😂😂

I don't know the answer to the suicide stats but personally I feel that given women attempt suicide just as much if not more, I think it's that men are just more violent. They are more violent with women, other men and they are more violent with themselves.

Through my own observations, I have noticed that a lot of the time when anyone, men or women, speaks out about certain topics such as their mental health, they are listened too and praised for speaking up but they can also be ostracized and considered a burden especially if the issues don't just go away and persist.

Lol I am leaving the debate there now - I can manage one or two responses though.

Luckily I don’t suffer from migraines and rarely even get a headache.

As others already mentioned you are looking/dating the wrong guys.

Yeah when you phrase it like that it does sound awful. "Leaving her for dead" is a particularly cutting way to put it. And I am not outright saying you are wrong. I just think it's worth remembering how powerful the urge to produce and parent is in many people. To the point it can override all other concerns in some.

So while we might not agree with people who leave a situation where they feel they can not longer attain their ideals there - we might at least be able to understand the whys behind why they would. To the point - as I said - if the roles were reversed I would be the one positively asking my partner(s) to leave me and move on if it is right for them and not to feel they are morally compelled to stay with me.

In short though the statistic on it's own sounds very powerful and concerning. But time and time again a simple statistic can hide an absolute depth of reasons and explanations that one's first interpretation might not leap to. And I just felt that if dating is something you actually do want to do - and this statistic is inclining you against it - then I thought it might be a nice thing to do to highlight this fact. I meant well at least :)

Put another way - a statistic like that standing in isolation might sound powerful but in fact on it's own actually tells us nothing informative, useful, or actionable. In fact it tells us almost nothing at all. Except - as scientists all too often love saying - "More research is needed" :)

• Advertisement

There you are now…Tuesday nights….

Back on track: what are people doing at the weekend? I have a morbid museum date lined up, and a sport one next week. Surely you aren’t all vegetating at home.

No wonder we can’t understand you*

*you = women collectively in this people

Myself and the kids made three quite enormous decorated gingerbread houses for sick kids at Christmas and delivered them. They got such a kick out of this that I was looking for a project to engage in since then.

So I have been sourcing quite a large supply of broken bikes and bike parts for little or no money. The plan being to salvage all the parts we can - entirely clean them down - and build as many working bikes as we can which we will repaint. The first of which - in the spirit of a book we once read - we are thinking to donate to a bully my daughter has recently acquired who appears to need one from what we have seen. But the rest will likely go to sick or needy children somehow. Haven't entirely worked out the details on who will get them yet. Not even sure how many complete working bikes I can build from the parts yet.

To answer the question therefore: Thanks to the kind temporary donation of a large van from a friend - I will be spending quite a chunk of this weekend going around collecting all these old parts from bike shops, private donors, and other sources of dumped parts. A lot of driving in other words. Especially as it sounds like I have quite a bit more than one van load to collect. I have about 15 hours of podcasts on my "to do" list so far to get me through this.

I might treat myself if my travels bring me near Galway and crash (not literally) there over night. A relative of mine with a crazy beard that got him on the TV show Vikings is playing a Rock/Jazz gig on Saturday night and I have not seen him play live in quite some time. In my experience his shows have a lot more women than men too - for any lads in the area who are looking for a place to hit on the ladies :)

Do you still call them dates when you’re in a relationship?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Goodigal

Center Parcs day trip for my crew tomorrow. No vegetating for me!

And I thought women didn't sleep around on the first date?

• Advertisement

Advertisement