Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can I run my car on Kerosene?

• 12-01-2024 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

been using a new station recent times for the fill, bit down the road in Ashford but best prices around (by a large margin)

shiny new station, pumps have petrol and diesel as you'd expect (incl. one labelled with a Truck that seems to turbo the stuff in lol) but also an Adblue and a KEROSENE gun

got me thinking....could I run my car off it? I'm presuming it's Kero aka Home Heating oil? kinda confused it's on the forecourt tbh

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Technically your diesel engine will run on kerosene, but it is a bad bad idea and will probably end up costing way more in damage than in savings. It doesn't have the same lubricating properties of diesel so will damage the components in the fuel system that rely on these properties to function properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Lash it in. What’s the worst that could happen? Keep us updated.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

It will go way faster on the kerosene…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

What's the ratio of diesel to cooking oil?

I remember doing it maybe 10 years ago, it was all the rage to head up north with a van full of 50L cans. this was with a mid 2000's berlingo.

Aldi did a deal on cooking oil and there was auld lads filling trolleys with the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You could, but over time it would wreck your engine as it has a lower lubricity than diesel.

The reason it is on the forecourt is for heating applications. People that cannot afford a full delivery or people that do not need one might fill drums at the pump.

Interesting side story: Kerosene is the same as jet fuel. Few years ago some Lads at Dublin Airport were taking the tank drainings from the aircraft home (planes that went in for repair) rather than disposing of it correctly - until someone blew the whistle.

Post edited by MrMusician18 on

• Advertisement

• As above you can but you definitely shouldn’t. Handy if you need a quick oil tank top up though.

i also think it’s illegal to use it in your car similarly to green diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Make sure your engine is diesel to begin with...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's illegal to use in your car.

The older the car the more likely it is to run well. If you're running neat kero (ie without some diesel, green diesel, 2 stroke etc) then it will likely ruin a lot of your fuel system (eg fuel pump) due to lesser lubricity.

I did it for years, mixing kero with waste engine oil. I remember paying 37c per liter! Old Carinas, 406, anything with a straight diesel and ideally indirect injection is perfect. OM606 comes to mind. I certainly wouldnt put anything common rail or more modern than the early 2000's through it though. They arent built for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Is it kerosene or gas oil?

Gas oil is diesel and should run no bother.

Both are illegal, though I've never heard of revenue dipping cars in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

100% its Kero labelled on pump, yellow pump gun

I'm passing the gaff later today, I'll bring a small drum and grab a litre of it to bring home to have a look

just I've never seen it on a forecourt before so was interesting to me

• it’s just home heating oil then.

Regardless do not fill your car with it! 🤣

a local petrol station to me has green diesel (or as they say Agri diesel) for sale at pumps as well, but the staff have to switch them on to use.

regularly enough there’s an argument amongst shop staff and (sorry) travellers about it. Staff aren’t allowed let the pump run unless it’s being used to fill a drum or approved container, of course they want to fill the car.

They always get their way in the end, I suppose no one’s paid enough working in a petrol station to give that much of a shite 🤣

excellent

lovely hearing OM606 being mentioned, I remember those being highly prized, great lumps altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

What's the make model and year of the car? Legailities aside pretty much any modern dieles will not tolerate Kero for long.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

The trick is to find a local-ish station that has been done multiple times for selling washed diesel. I used to be able to put the green nozzle directly into the car! When I was feeling flush I would alternate between green and kero+waste oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

With the price of oil people don't buy a full tank and fill up drums. This is why you can see it on forecourt and has become more common in last year years after dying out for a while.

In terms of filling up if you talk to an oil boiler expert they will recommend against doing it this way as far more dirt gets dragged into the boiler and you will have more problems but not everyone can afford 1k to buy a tank of oil

keep the head down as the Landcruiser is filled with green and send the kid in to pay in cash at my local station.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• I say you’re more at risk of some nosey fecker at the adjacent pump reporting you than the shop staff as well 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Holy smoke when did Boards.ie become Banditos.ie ?🙂

• Advertisement

I did it for 5+ years before moving to an EV. 50-60k a year, buying hundreds of gallons a month. No one ever reported me.

You should have come to a motors meet back in the day - it was always banditos.ie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It depends on the age of the car, mechanics used put it in for cleaning out injectors etc that was for diesel cars.

Unless it is an old car it will destroy the engine In a very short time.

Best bet as mentioned above is to horse it in and see what happens after a few weeks, failing that ask a friendly mechanic if it is an option for your car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Friend of mine has a company van and fuel card, he has a jerry can in the back of the van and when he's filling up the van he fills the jerry can as well and throws it in the oil tank, he's being doing it for years and last time he got the boiler serviced he was told how efficent the boiler was going 😂

• He just puts regular diesel in the oil tank?

Smart though 🤣

After being banned constantly, the worst offenders went off to backroads.ie and octane where they had free rein.

Who knows where they all are now? Serving time, probably 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AFAIK this is only partly true. it'd be like saying what comes out of your kitchen tap and what you'd find in the local river are the same, but you'd be safer drinking one than the other.

aviation fuel is much more refined than heating oil. the saturn V rocket from the apollo missions also burned kerosene, but again, much more refined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Isn't Dipetane basically just kerosene? I would imagine that in small quantities it would be OK but whole tank fulls of it? I would not take the risk with a modern diesel and blow it up but each to their own... save a few quid here and there and once the weird noises in the engine start happening, sell the car to some unsuspecting punter!

just in the door there, I took a litre off that pump earlier and put a drop in a clear jar, it's actually red in colour, thought it was supposed to be clear so there's a dye in it presumably

swilling it in the jar it doesn't seem as sticky as diesel if that makes any sense, not much of a smell off it either

I have a little oil lamp, gonna see how it goes later for interests sake like

• Advertisement

lol dunno but prob safer than some of the alcopop muck out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭black & white

In the petrol shortages of the '70's and '80's, I know of several taxi drivers that had to use it to stay in business, they called in Rocket Fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

Don't encourage him

because it blwe the engine in the car?

70's/80s many diesel cars in Ireland? all I remember around the 80s was petrols

• Advertisement

Just remember where people talk of getting dodgy fuel it usually means there is kerosene mixed into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

I know someone who had a home heating oil tank at the house and got it filled regularly. However the house was heated with gas. The big tank was only used for filling cars.

In terms of filling Jerry cans from a fuel card account I know a bus driver who was sacked for stealing fuel card fuel. He filled Jerry cans regularly for his personal car.

There is a difference between gas oil and kerosene. Gas oil is closer to diesel. Kerosene is used in most modern home heating systems. These fuels are marked and they do have checkpoints and they can scrape the exhaust pipe to tell if you have used marked fuel at any point in the previous months. They don't tend to dip tanks as much as truckers were using fake tanks and hidden real tanks.

Dodgy fuel was along the border and was mostly washed fuel.

Or in some cases people have been known to just fill the car with tractor diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭tinytobe

if you wanted to cheat try heating oil for a diesel car, an older diesel car, but don't get caught. Salad oil also works, I think that's legal.

Kerosene is the cheapest of the cheap more or less a by product of a refinery, just meant for aircraft engines, not for automobile engines. I don't think that's a wise choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

A lot of diesels around in the 80's El Richos bought them-not always farmers.My father had one,he wasnt that rich though

• Advertisement

No dirty fuel also involves kerosene that's where engine problems develope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Reminds me of a teacher I had:

’Can I go to the toilet?’

Teacher: ‘You can but you may not’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Does it not smell, well like Kerosene? There is a serious bang of a smell of it and if you get it on you its nigh on impossible to wash the smell off.

it is less viscous than Diesel, more watery, do not believe Dipetane is the same as it is more viscous.

Northern Kerosene is yellowish in colour, southern is red.

Can a diesel run on it? yes, is it legal? no, it is marked so the same offence as using green or red diesel.

Is it safe for the engine, probably not, I know a lot of taxi drivers that ran on a mix of kerosene and veg oil, pistons eventually melted and engines died, but that may also have been to do with high mileage and no maintenance, they always sounded rough as you like though.

You could probably get away with throwing some in on a tank, but that will taint the whole tank for a long time, in that if you are dipped you are screwed, so if you were doing it you might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb and run on green diesel full time.

I was servicing a car before for a neighbour, changed the fuel filter and noted it was full of green, mentioned it in case he was being duped, he said he threw the odd tank of green in to save money, thing is it was pointless ever putting white diesel in because if he was dipped the green mixed in from 4 or 5 fills ago would show up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I threw it into an old parrafin heater I fixed up a bit and it's going well good heat off it and really not much smell off it

on the car front, yah I think too much risk there as it's a later "greater" 2017 yoke I wouldn't chance it plus as someone mentioned there earlier you'd be as well going for the marked diesel I suppose in the end, I know exactly where to get that quietly if I wanted some

regards getting caught, personally I wouldn't be too worried about getting dipped, it's been years and years (maybe 10 or more) since I witnessed a customs check round where I live....thinking it would have to be intelligence led or if its random stop surely its lotto territory odds

question. re this Kero, anyone know why it's red in colour? why would anyone care to dye it like? maybe different grades for different uses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭black & white

Yes, it would make shite of the engine. Re diesel cars, there was a few around, I seem to remember Passats, Jettas and maybe Peugots. It's a long time ago and memory may be faulty but I think that's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Kerosene has low octane rating so u need an engine with low compression ratio. Less than 7:1 I think

• Advertisement
Advertisement