Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭giseva

I find 99% of the current ads on both TV and radio unbearable, especially the whiny ones. I'm not involved in advertising, but I don't know how people can come up with this tripe, think "yeah this is great" and then force it upon the eyes and ears of the nation.

Offenders include those behind and featuring in the ads of Rockshore, Verisure, McDonalds, Lyons, Lotto, Just Eat, Spar and those painfully awful "all the lights..." ads. Storyline ads particularly piss me off.

I don't watch it, and won't watch it, but every second ad is for the new series of that Dancing Sh1te. The ad is similar to the show itself, and it's "talent" pool, horrendous and low quality.

There's a radio ad that goes on for an age about an old codger buying a train for his grandson, that ad can f**K off too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Ha ha, Santa obviously didn't deliver the goods this year! Nerver mind, nothing like a good rant to get rid of Xmas excess.

The radio ad is nice in a 60s sort of way. He's buying the train set for his son though, like his father did all those years before. I actually like the nostalgic memory of the phrase he remembered his father using to express surprise at Santa's choice; "Well, doesn't that bate Banagher". I was transported back to the 60s by this, and the talk of the old men with that Midlands accent and exactly those kind of phrases.

In the end, the protagonist was buying the train set for his son, but really for himself. I still have the Hornby train set I bought in 1990 for my then 9 year old son. I sneak it out now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I like that radio ad. Presume op means the Lyons tea one that runs every Christmas?

I don't know what the lyons one is, I mustn't have noticed it. The Barry's tea one with the trainset is iconic, its also from 1994 wyb, that's hitting 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

"You're through to the Pieta Helpline, how can I help you?"

That one on the phone has a spooky smirk as she listens to some distraught soul trying to reach out..... eeriest ad I've seen in years. Makes me hit the mute button every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,318 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Proper ads on TG4 at the moment.

I see the 'Deadly Dave' Rockshore ad has returned, after that bizarre Xmas diversion with Ronan Keating. I can't see myself supping one as a summer thirst quencher anymore, I've no interest in boyzone 'merch', if that's the right expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

The esb ad with the old couple from limerick. Anita and whatever his pus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Love that the ‘Gillette, the best a man can get’ tune is back, nice dose of nostalgia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭raclle

RSA ad with wheelchair woman is fair fkn annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

RSA showing the same two jaded ads now for around ten years. Zero effect on road safety at this stage, just annoying viewers.

Could they not be bothered trying something new if they're really interested in promoting driver awareness and safer driving?

Like an ad that says " stop holding/looking at your f**king mobile phone when driving, stopped at lights, turning a corner....

• Registered Users Posts: 86,091 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I saw Kate Beckinsdale doing a ad for a mobile game now Eva Longoria is also doing for the same game, wow from L'Oréal to a mobile game I never heard of

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

You are underestimating the profitability of mobile games. Eva Longoria could well have been offered several times what she was offered by L'Oreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Radio ad with stupid man and patronising wife. Think its for an eye test or hearing test. No idea what business its advertising.

Reminds me of that awful ad a while ago where the man ate frozen food because - men are stupid - but luckily had a clever wife to save the day. Terrible ads.

Speaking of man and wife, I've only recently seen the latest Tesco 'I've got the power" earworm/meme ad, with the geriatric couple at the till. It's nauseating. Aside from the offensive ageist imbecilic inference, the entire meme they're trying to peddle is neanderthal and infantile in its concept. Do they think customers will be humming this as they pack their bags? Vomiting more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Cant stand that ad, they all seem to br turning to dancing and singing in them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Dancing with the bloody stars! Every feckin' ad break!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Archeron

Ginormous brown trousers gigglybit woman is back, yeay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

The lastest responsible gambling ads. Fook sake make me want to put on a bet the second I see it, just to say up yours ye pompous twats.

Gambling is irresponsible. That's it's attraction. Gobshites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Any gambling adds and any "celebrity" that is prepared to profit by them!

Keith Lemon you're a **** but you are not alone in your greed.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I know this thread is only focused on adverts we hate. But credit where its due.... this is a pretty good advert from Red Bull.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Wish that An Post money ad would piss off

Have you SEEN the commissions they charge? Revolut is safe from them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

whats the story with the little Belfast girl in the Eir internet ads, gigglybit. Sure Eir are not in Northern Ireland are they? you could pass it off as Donegal or North Monaghon maybe if the Eir engineer wasnt a dub , why not have the engineer as a northie as well?why not just have a child with Meath/Kildare/Wicklow/Dublin suburbia accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

another one is the AIB club GAA ad. why on earth are the lads driving down the field in a pick up truck? where are they going? to feed cattle or something ? whats that to do with GAA?why is one of them eating what looks like a chinese meal out of the plastic container in the back seat of said pick up?again i dont get the connection between eating a chinese and driving down the field in a pick up truck with a hurl in back of the truck?? anyone, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Its all in the name of inclusivity. You see, Ireland only has one city, Dublin, the rest of the country is bogland, hence the pick up truck, but some country folk have foreign tastes, hence the chinese.

Thats my take on it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Has anyone seen the Cadbury ad - kid goes into a shop looking for a bar of chocolate for her mother? It's a weird mishmash of Irish and English. The shopkeepers voice is dubbed into an Irish accent but I don't think the child's is. There's also a green phone box that appears and reappears throughout the ad. I can't unsee it now!

Advertisement