Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Anybody who compares this week just gone to the next one, one shouldn't as they're quite different. This week we've seen an easterly flow with a lot of moderation. The relatively mild sea and weak fetch meant a lot of cloud, especially in the east. The cloud has held up the nights temperatures in spite of frost expected widely. A northerly flow that is expected next week is much cleaner with drier, less modified air which will lead to more widespread clear skies.

The kind of temperatures we could anticipate from a northerly flow is the range of 1-6C usually by day. You can get lower than this if freezing fog persists and the airflow becomes slack. Freezing fog will not pop up on models at this range and even closer to the time can be difficult to pick up on. Any lying snow cover will also aid in reducing the air temperature both by day and night. Nights if skies are clear would expect to be between 0 and -7C in this kind of setup. You can get as low as -9C without snow cover in Ireland but snow cover will help a lot in getting the air temperature to plunge. Given the time of year and you get some snow cover combined with clear skies, can quite easily get as low as -10C. This would be an increased risk too as the cold builds up over multiple days. Coldest temperatures would be in sheltered Midlands and inland southeast regions primarily by night if it's a direct northwest to northerly which is expected.

With regards to MT, he primarily bases his thoughts on the GFS and sometimes the GEM. I have not paid attention to his forecasts since 2021 in all honesty when he slowly joined in on the July 2021 heatwave anticipation and over-ramped the February 2021 cold period, both of which I disagreed a lot with. However, in this instance I can understand being more conservative.

Make no mistake, we are going to see a cold week, maybe even a very cold week is appropriate to say at this stage with daytime temperatures in the low single figures and lots of frost at night under clear skies and light winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

A fairly impressive 850s Mean low of minus 9.3c for Dublin on Monday evening. Belfast drops to an average minus 9.8c. That warm sector on the control run much more pronounced than the mean once again.

By the way, very disheartening to read some of the very personalised comments here this morning. No member has the right to name call or denegrade the contributions of others. Stick to the analysis of models. It makes the thread a nightmare to follow.

Back to the actual analysis now .. we don't often get means like this a week out in January for a cold spell that will commence proper in two days. Roll on some actual winter weather.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Have to go back to February 2021 to see a mean as low as that. However, that was an easterly and with capped convection meant we got off lightly.

I think an ensemble mean of almost -10C is impressive given the tendency of northerlies in winters the past decade. A reflection of just how much more cold residue there is to tap into this year. Arctic sea ice is also at its highest since 2003.

Clare (410ft asl)

On this, today's temperatures at midday are a good gauge for how cold it may get during the daytime next week, never mind the nighttime. We currently have 850s of close to +5c over most of the country and we are getting the below temps with blanket cloud cover and light winds thrown into the mix. Valentia the only spot with clearing skies and, despite traditionally being one of the mildest spots in the country, is maxing at 4c. For the reasons you outlined above and with a drier air source, embedded cold, very low 850s (the mean is 9.3c on Monday eve in Dublin and colder further north) and calmer conditions, daytime temperatures very well may struggle to rise above freezing away from exposed coastal locations (particularly in the SW, S and SE) on one or more days next week.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: This is a friendly place for people to share their interest in all things Meteorological. Posters are reminded of the forum charter , challenge a post but not the poster, can disagree with points of view without taking swipes. Any attacks on other posters will only lead to being requested not to post in the forum . Let's keep it civil please.

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

The GFS control run just gone was at the milder end of the members for the week after next. There are a number of much colder members still showing so a colder solution should not be completely discounted. A return to a less cold, zonal pattern remains strongly favoured as of now.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

The last two runs 00Z and 06Z were rather disappointing overall when compared to last night's 18z GFS/ We don't get the sub -5c 850hPa's established for very long, the Atlantic is bring brought forward by 15 hours on the ECM.

If this trend in the models continues through the weekend, the cold spell is a bust, and with the trends I'm seeing (barring an odd drunk 18Z GFS) this is going to be a massive flop for Ireland and apart from a some frontal snow later next week for the UK, it will end there quickly too.

There is a growing theme for the Atlantic to roar, and I mean roar loudly back into life with winds from the SW blasting Ireland by next Friday evening. The angle of attack is brutal too, this cold is going to be brushed aside very easily.

The only hope we have is that the models are overplaying the destruction of the Greenland High - as the UK Met Office have been hinting at, which in fairness their 00Z model is supporting.

But I think we're clutching at straws, for now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Certainly the next week looks cold to very cold and mostly dry. Daytime temperatures up to next Thursday likely between 0 and 5C by day and down to -6 or -7 in places by night with severe frosts. Disruption is unlikely in this cold spell outside of frosty and icy conditions.

There could be some wintry precipitation towards the end of next week so a chance of some snow maybe before the milder weather comes back.

The Atlantic will most likely fire up from Friday/Saturday and we'll be back in a very unsettled pattern however it's unlikely to be as relentlessly mild as the unsettled December pattern with cool zonality likely at times in between the mild sectors as cold air out of North America will get mixed up with the mild Atlantic air. Let's hope the return of the Atlantic is short lived and we see cold potential coming back in early February.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Indeed, I agree. It's most likely to be dry for most - a few wintry showers on favoured coastal counties looks to be what is on offer in regards to precipitation. I'd agree with your temperature profile too, the ground is sufficiently cold enough to allow sub -5c nights in again favoured sheltered areas. As regards frontal snow - I don't see much prospect, perhaps Cavan, Monaghan and NI, but the UK would be more likely to see it - and even at that it won't last long outside Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

Has there ever been a red alert for low temperatures that would cause schools to shut, anyway charts are showing borderline daytime temperatures for lying snow with Wednesday night and Friday night looking the best but even at night temps only a few degrees below freezing, also pressure relatively high so precipitation will be light and concentrated ove north, north- west and west

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

I’m very new to looking at weather charts and following these discussions. Many thanks to the experts on here who give up so much time to explain trends so well. Really is a rollercoaster with more lows than highs it seems. But it seems strange how the models seems to improve as each day goes on (if it’s cold you’re after) with nearly every day culminating in an ‘epic’ 18z GFS pub run before the hangover inevitably kicks in for the 00z and 06z before things improve yet again. Anyway, onwards and upwards. No doubt some better charts this afternoon as the Friday beers kick in. Hope everyone sees at least a dusting of Sneachta next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Are we inside 120 hrs yet for loacalised snow talk ?

Anyone doing an official thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Jesus some people in here would suck the life out of you altogether. Just because it isn't 2010 or a storm Emma doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable to follow.

Also someone said these charts are typical or normal in January, since when?

Snow could pop up anywhere next week it's still 4,5,6 days away and who cares if it's only a dusting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

At the moment this is how precipitation looks, subject to change of course but most of country looks dry until next Friday.

Donegal is obviously the place most likely to see snow and maybe parts of Sligo and north Mayo, could be sleety towards the coast and snow more likely inland in those regions mostly in the form of showers. There is a slight chance of a more organized band of precipitation moving southwards next week which could deliver wintry precipitation in other parts of the country more than what is modeled above but this remains to be seen if such features can survive the journey southwards.

In short away from the north-west not much sign of precipitation next week until maybe Thursday as this is what the models are currently showing. If the models do change over the next few days and an organized band of precipitation is forecast to make it's way south intact we will be on it here as soon as such a feature is picked up by the models.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Was about to post the same. I think most of us like the tradition of the Amphibian formerly known as Darkman doing so - if he thinks the time is right?🙏

Interesting. Confirmation how poor the modelling was just after Christmas and early January in forecasting at day 5. Something worth researching what could have caused such a drastic decrease in skill during this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Speak for yourself, I'm here since 2006 and I still love it 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 850s are averaging -7/8 for the whole of next week!! Serious cold a certainty. Temps will barely get above freezing everyday next week upto and Inc Friday. Snowfall uncertain but high pressure is far away and disturbances will happen! After Friday is uncertain, I think the morning trend will reverse. Let's see, 12s rolling soon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That's absolutely fascinating, I wonder is this a somewhat unique setup recently?, could lead to interesting outcomes hopefully here!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

The ECM 06Z goes out to 144hrs (Thursday afternoon) and is about 0.5c colder than the overnight run (00z). The Iberian Heights are not as progressive north, therefore enabling a more easterly trajectory for the Azores Low i.e. midweek frontal snowfall prospects for southern England are reduced. That mild sector on Tuesday has been incredibly consistent in showing up but it is nowhere near as mild an intrusion as two days ago. Some very cold days in the mix in the 06z air temps struggling to rise much above 2-4c at best for the majority of the island.

A slow moving and relatively unstable airflow will inevitably bring snowfall across Ulster, west Connacht and Munster and perhaps further inland, while any troughs that pop up would widen the risk area. These finer details are days away from becoming clearer.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

🐸

It’s definitely thread time, deep cold lands within +72hrs… Where are you Frog ?

Snow chances bound to pop up during the week, flow looks relatively unstable to me at times.

For what it’s worth, I am not convinced we go back to a normal zonal pattern after this, a relative warm up perhaps yes, but the polar field is in disarray for the foreseeable and I have no idea what’s going on in the strat, but it doesn’t look conducive to a strong PV.

Looks like Cold zonal after this week with some high pressure wedges at times with some greater potential in early Feb- as others have alluded to already. Depending on how things play out we could hold on to the colder air for far longer than models are currently showing.

FI is +96hrs at the moment really.

Clare (410ft asl)

A thread would be beneficial from the perspective of being able to post short, medium and long range charts as we are soon crossing the threshold of 'up to 120' hrs with crossover on same topic in the '120+' category. In the 15 years or more I am on here (had new account since 2018), I have never started a thread. I'd by shy that way! Perhaps, @Meteorite58 could summon the courage to kick it off? 😉

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Clare (410ft asl)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Go on, go on, go on ,GO ON

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well if the poster Tamara can be believed, the models maybe too progressive about a return to zonal due to the unique set up, but you have to say across the ensembles they have been fairly resolute about it. Also the EC46 has remained steadfast about the last week of January having a more westerly influence. Anyway I don't want to become that person who looks for the breakdown while there is heavy snow outside- or at least the possibility of some snow. With that in mind I am looking forward to the event thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stormyhead

I was very excited after seeing the reactions on here to last nights runs. Woke up today loking forward to some lovely winters weather with biting cold dry days and some passing showers of big fluffy snow. That has all changed. Judging by many of the posts on here, this is going to be a 3 day snooze fest. I wont lie, Im genuinely disapppinted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement