Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

LoL, I ran the SPSS calculator on the above with a full term of service, works out about 7.5k a year. Gold plated me hole. At the average life expectancy of a woman (longer in Ireland), retiring at 67, you have a pension worth a little around €176000 (including lumpsum) over its lifetime.

My private sector pension that I have ignored for a few years is still outperforming my PS one, it may not always, and I do plan to start putting more into it again from next year but I've not paid into it for years and its still outperforming the SPSS one I have paid into for longer.

Anyone new in the PS for the pension is delusional, it is not what it once was, and unlike many private employers, there is no top up benefits (my previous added 8.5% on top of my 5% contribution).

The only real benefit of the newer PS pensions is that your hand is forced and alot of private sector workers don't put in anything at all and will be facing a tough time come retirement unless they have substantial investments or nest eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,270 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Let me try again. You have heard about the Single Pension Scheme, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This whole "pension pot worth X" thing is complete bollocks. There is no pot. It's just a handy way for the media to turn a non-story into a story.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

It's the way the media protect FF/FG by muddying the waters with a "look over here" approach.

These discussion have absolutely nothing to do with pensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Retirement age should have remained at 60 with full entitlements once the officer had 40 years service. Pre 04 are blessed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Francis McM

And the Gardai even more blessed, they were able to retire after only 30 years service. According to the pension experts, A Garda retiring at 60 with a €102,000 lump sum and €34,000 pension would have their pot valued at €1.8 million, including the spouse’s benefit.

It is not that absurd to imagine a Garda retiring at 60 with a €102,000 lump sum and €34,000 pension , given that according to the latest statistics average Garda income is currently over 82,000 per year. However, f*** all people of the 1.8 million people in the private sector have pension pots valued at €1.8 million though and can retire early like that.

And public servants want more increases?

Will these come from

(a) cuts in services

(b) increasing national debt further, to be repaid plus interest by our grandchildren

(c) new taxes - how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭bren2001

We are down 6.5% over the last deal compared to inflation, you’re right, that should be day one. An increase like that on day one of a pay deal to the best of my knowledge has never happened. We can talk about how right it is but I don’t believe it’s realistic.

My view on spreading out a deal over the course of a deal was always on the unsaid assumption that there was no inequality before. Nobody ever made that point and it’s one I would have conceded.

It would.

I don’t like the idea of one area implementing industrial action for my benefit. Has that type of action happened before in the public sector?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

I may be wrong on this, but that 34,000 includes the state pension which everyone gets. So really the Gardaí get a pension 20,000 extra. Pensions are generally calculated at 4% of your pension pot, so that 20,000 would come from a pot of 500,000, plus the lump sum of 102,000, so a total pot of 602,000. That is the equivalent of a private sector worker contributing 500 a month over 30 years to a pension pot (average growth rate of 7%). Let's assume, they are on an average of 50,000 salary for those 30 years. Employer contributions of 5% would contribute €208 of that leaving €292 for the employee to contribute. After tax relief, that is only €175 a month. So way less than the headline figure and very achievable for every private sector worker

If you use the pension authority website, a €34k pension inclusive of the state pension of ~€14k, it equates to €1,458.33 before tax relief:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Problem with these figures is they are bogus, and I've a fair suspicion you are fully aware of it.

Take for example the civil servant retiring on a pension of 20,000.

To calculate the value of this, we take the value of the contributory OAP to which all eligible workers (whether private or public) will be entitled. So we get €20000 - €14458 = €5,542 per annum.

Now, we take retirement age of 65 from the average life expectancy in the country (which is 82). This gives us 17 years.

17 years x annual occupational pension of €5,542 = €94,214.

Now, let's assume the the IT quoted lumpsum of €60,000 is correct. We add this to our figure of €94,214, and we get a total value, in real terms, of €154,214.

So, this public servant has a pension, with a real value of €154,214. Yet the Irish Times gives a value of €765,965.

How does the Irish Times overestimate the value of the pension so much?

There are two reasons.

Firstly, it includes, within it's calculations, the OAP to which the retiree would be entitled had they worked in the private sector. So they add an extra €14,500 per annum to the value of a public servant's pension. Yet they don't do this when calculating the value of a private sector worker's pension. Strange that.

Secondly, when calculating the pension value, they opt for the worst value annuity they can find to support their misrepresentations of public sector pensions. Annuities in generally are notoriously bad value, and in practice, a tiny tiny proportion of pensioners will purchase an annuity as they are such awful value. They will instead opt for an Approved Retirement Fund, as they are better value, can be bequeathed and tend to continue gaining returns in retirement. Yet the Irish Times selects the worst value fund possible when trying to put a value on public sector pensions. I hope whoever put those figures together doesn't work in pensions, as they clearly would give the worst advice possible.

It just irks me so much to see the repeated misrepresentations of public sector pensions and these people are never brought to task over these falsehoods. And then you have people like the poster I quoted who will happily lap this nonsense up.

And that's before we even consider the Sibgle Scheme which is worse again.

Edit: corrected typo.

Post edited by Rothmans on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭combat14

from the same place the 14.2 billion for social welfare goodies are coming from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Oh,ok. But is that not still a contract of employment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Note that the post 2013 staff also pay a much lower rate of pension levy / ASC - ~3% from €34k as opposed to 10+% for earlier staff (they keep that quiet don't they!). I believe the intention is that it allows them to invest the difference in an AVC to attempt to match the old staff.

Also, some PS (non CS) schemes do pay employer contributions - my employer pays a 20% pension contribution on top of my pension and ASC contributions even though I'm pre 2013 (for a total overall contribution of nearly a third of gross salary). Nope, doesn't make sense to me either....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You are 100% right although it depends on rate of pay (with lower paid workers being disproportionately poorly affected). And yes, lower pension with the idea that those on the lower pension would contribute the difference to different pots and come out better (provided they were not the lowest paid). Its not mandated though.

Also PM me if there are any vacancies where you are based, thats a nice contribution to have added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Not after a year it’s not. I don’t think anyway, we are governed by circulars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

We can't get people at all!🤣 I've no idea where that employer contribution actually goes though - I don't believe there is a 'fund' these days, and it makes zero difference to my pension anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,088 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

To be fair you probably don't understand how public service pensions work, while the "experts" you quote deliberately misrepresent the position.

There is a big difference between a collective pension scheme and an individualised pot.

A Garda retiring at 60 with a €102,000 lump sum and €34,000 pension might have the pot valued at €1.8m but if he dies the day before retirement, that pot is worth €0. All of his contributions will pay for someone else's pension. That is one example of how it is impossible to compare the two.

Private pensions do not grow at 7% on average, far from it, especially after management fees from the pension companies etc are taken out. There are some people whose pension pot is worth less than they have put in to it after some years....never mind growing @ 7% annually lol.

Back to the subject, the experts say that for example A Garda retiring at 60 with a €102,000 lump sum and €34,000 pension would have their pot valued at €1.8 million, including the spouse’s benefit. What private sector worker has ever built up or could build up a pension pot worth 1.8 million over only 30 years working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭howiya

Back to the subject? Perhaps you've misread the thread title. The subject isn't pensions.

Nor am I aware of any pension element to the current talks.

"That pot is worth €0" is a bit unfair.

Is there not a Death Gratuity equal to twice the deceased member's pensionable remuneration in the 12 months prior to the date of death?

Anyway, I would prefer have a 9 in 10 chance ( or 19 in 20 ) chance of getting a pension pot worth 1.8 million rather than getting a pension pot of only €107,000, which is only the typical private sector one.

As said before, I would say the government would not mind increasing pay by 15 or 20% even if they could just just reduce the public service pension timebomb by a noticeable amount, to realistic levels. Others have suggested there should be pension adjustments if there are wage increases.

As asked on radio recently, if there are wage increases, will these come from

(a) cuts in services

(b) increasing national debt further, to be repaid plus interest by our grandchildren

(c) new taxes - how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,088 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fair enough, but if you are on 30k, that is only 60k.

Again that pension pot is not worth €1.8m if you die six months after getting pension, unlike private sector pensions which do pass on.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

So, do tell us Francis.

That PS worker, who joined in 2014, getting €20,000 as a pension. How much after adding in the state pension does that worker get?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Take the OAP off that there will you. You know damn well that the OAP is part of the PS pension.

Unless you decide to add the value of the OAP onto your base calculation for the private pensions also

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

You back with this nonsense.

I don't care how my employer funds my pay. That is not my concern.

My concern is that I see that my employer has plenty of funds for everything else then they can damn well pay their employees.

Ok, you do not care how the governments funds your pay, but if you are looking for a pay increase / wage increases, will these come from

(a) cuts in services

(c) new taxes - how?

The background is that the Republic’s national debt stood at €224.8 billion at the end of last year, equating to €43,357 for every man, woman and child in the State, which is high internationally in per-capita terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Iggy1986

11% of that would be paid by end of 2025 so not the worst, want more obviously. The increases are too slow l, three increases of 2% is pathetic in a year. We should get a 5% increase immediately and 2% later this year to give people hope and money back in their pockets

• Advertisement

You keep asking me about the government. What they do is no concern of mine.

My employer has set out their targets, for the year, and those targets include massive payout for loads of stakeholders. I expect that they treat their employees the same.

I really don't care where my employer gets money from. I have never cared where my multinational employers got the money to pay me, why should I start now?

That PS worker, who joined in 2014, getting €20,000 as a pension. How much after adding in the state pension does that worker get per year?

Advertisement