Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Thought it was a condition of the show that the architects fees are paid by the tv company ( which could be €40,000 or 50,000 on most programmes otherwise, say 10%?) but the client pays the Q.S. fees ( a couple of grand at most )? For continuity and good tv and to even up the gender balance etc Dermot always uses his regular Q.S. But on the programme last night I think he said the client could not afford the Q.S but he was getting her down for the day, as a favour to him, or words to that effect?

Wonder if the QS fees came out of the barter account lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Zardoz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Anyone know where the house in Ranelagh was (what street / road) - the one he brought them to visit to see ‘simplicity’ !

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Didn't like that house in Ranelagh at all. A glorified hallway with added courtyard. I can only imagine how much that cost them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That derelict housing grant was surely intended more for towns and cities than big properties out in the countryside?

Maybe not. Seems a bit off to me anyway.

Also can't understand how the help to buy applies as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Didn’t like it at all either; thought it was a totally irrelevant comparison too; poky courtyard that Dermot was going on about (he seems to love courtyards!!). The time devoted to this would be better spent highlighting the heating system and bathroom costs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Nermal

Rather rusty and unkempt ones, too. They've built a lovely house, unfortunately it backs onto a favela.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Niall_76

They said they were too far outside town for the derelict grant but were hoping the net would be widened to include them in the budget. Then the news clip they played mentioned an increase in the amount of the grant but didn’t say anything about distance from town but they were suddenly ok.

I assume the bit where he suggested that the criteria might be changed was filmed after the budget rather than before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Westernview

It could be that the show was badly edited - that whoever was doing it wasn't familiar with building projects and didn't understand the important bits to include and what to leave out. The whole thing seemed off in terms of progress of the build and what they gave attention to.

Any idea how the help to buy applied? Thought they inherited this property and land. What exactly were they buying as first time buyers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Bob_Average

The pice where Dermot is in his car driving to the meeting with the kitchen people, and talking about what might happen at that meeting, was filmed later, and with the benefit of hindsight.

In the timeline of the show, this happens well before Storm Ciaran, but as Dermot drive along what looks like Highfield Road we clearly see an S4 bus coming in the other direction. The S4 is a new route only launched on the 29th of November.

It's one of those things only a transport geek would spot :-)

Bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The whole series has gone to the dogs the last few years.

It's all dramatics, cliched (and clearly staged) rows between Dermot and the clients for dramatic effect, crap editing, no useful or interesting coverage of the design or build at all. It's basically a formulaic soap opera at this stage - except you'd get more variety in a soap opera.

And while Grand Designs obviously made their punters reveal budget details at the end, RtI seems to have dispensed with that lately so you don't even have that bit to look forward to.

I tuned in this week for the first time in years, and won't be wasting my time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

thats no excuse. what kind of idiot is in charge if they do a programe about renovating you house and they put a team in place to produce that show who know nothing about the main point of the show.

[rodgrees a bit off. come on. they went from a guy brushing standing water off the subfloor because the roof covering wasnt even ordered yet to standing in a finished house having a chat. it bloggles my mind that someone editing the show would do that. i dont know why they even include that other house they visited . it added nothing to the show. they wernt looking at something they were thinking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Westernview

There was always an element of staged rows and manufactured crisis situations to it but I found I could accept that when the project was shown to be evolving naturally. Now it's just jarring the way its edited and you are left with a lot of confusion and some unanswered questions at the end. Unsatisfactory.

I'm not making excuses I'm just saying that what it feels like whats happening. I may be wrong about that but it did feel like the editing person needed direction from someone who knew what to present.

I don't agree that going to the other house added nothing. He brought them to show how clever design with cheaper materials can lead to a good result. He was trying to convince them that if they had one quality surface (in this case the flooring) then cheaper materials would work alongside it (in this case the kitchen which is what they were worried about). I believe he achieved that.

The more and more grants they got the bigger and bigger the extension got, as they admitted themselves. I'm not sure it is a good use of taxpayers funds to give 70,000 to someone to extend a fancy Dermot Bannon glass box at the side of an old house?

The echo in the kitchen / dining was noticeable all right. And were there any blinds? Do not think so. at night time it would be like being a goldfish in a bowl, and looking out you just see your reflection in the glass?

Looked nice in day time on a calm dry day all right. Wonder what the BER was with all that glass? I know it was probably triple glazed but still surely not as cosy as a well insulated wall 40 cm thick or whatever?

Won't lie. That's exactly what I said to the Mrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lovely couple and a lovely house in the end, they are some big old grants! No final figure on cost zzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭downtheroad

It didn't apply. Bannon scribbled it onto an A4 page in biro and thinks he knows what he's talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Tow

The whole build was over 240 sqm, for a budget of 200k! There were no technical details. The section on the roof materials made no sense. They appeared to want Zinc standing seam. Could not afford Aluminium standing seam. Went to a place which sold a Steel profile, which looked like standing seam. No information was given about this product or the place they visited, except it required extra ventilation. In the end they got the Aluminium roof.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

Was that not on top of a nice grant for lime render or some such

Plus all the retrofit grants

This government is obsessed at streaming tax revenue right into landowners hands. What clearly should be an urban policy is now full square aimed at FGs core voting pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Someone mentioned it could do with another show like what they did for Big Brother or Love Island to provide the detail. That wouldn’t help answer any of the questions like how the builder from Buncrana ended up with the job (or would even have been interested in quoting for such a job) or the grants (how they qualified for some of them) or the QS from doing a favour to re-appearing later own in the show. I think we’d need another tribunal for that!

is the builder from buncrana or is he based there. i saw that his van had a donegal reg

its about 4.5 hours from buncrana to urlingford. i went up near dundaulk to colect something over the chrismass and it cost me with an empty van 60 euro in deisil and 21.60 in tolls and that was 2.5 each way. no way its viable to do that to even oversee the job let alone do it.

something isnt adding up here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's loads of NI reg Skodas and vans parked outside most building sites in Dublin, with lads going up and down each day.

what relivence is that.

this building site is 1 hour 20 min from dublin .

The builder is registered in Buncrana, the same small town at the top of Donegal the quantity surveyor is based in.

And according to the supplier list, the skimming plasters were from Buncrana as well. The firm that supplier the doors and floors was from Buncrana. The electrical contractor was from Buncrana. Did the whole village of Buncrana make the 9 hour round trip to build the house in Urlingford each day?

So you are right, something not adding up here.

Another interesting thing from the supplier list is that the client Grainne went for a Granite kitchen worktop....as well as the expensive wooden floor...even after Dermot brought her especially to the house in Dublin to show her she did not need expensive finishes everywhere.

In the beginning of the programme, the clients were very budget conscious, did not know if they could afford the extension or not etc. Their budget was 200k. Then they got grant after grant and ended up spending close to half a million, inc the lime rendering at the beginning? And at the end when asked how much it cost, did not even know / could not care less? If she cared she would know?

And another thing: the husband early in the project was chipping away at the plaster with a kango type drill on the inside walls in the old house early in the programme, and shovelling it out in wheelbarrows etc. A dusty, hard labour job not everyone would be up for, in fairness. So I assumed if the client were on a 200k budget they may be painting the inside of the house at the end themselves? But no, a painter is listed, at least he was from Tipp. so had not far to travel.

Dermots glass box extension.

And the question remains: who paid the Q.S. fee when the clients said they could not and CoCo TV (who make the programme) said they do not?? Dermot got her down for one day as a favour to him but she remained later in the programme?

We have had Tuberty-gate, lets not have another inquiry in to shady dealings etc. It does make for great tv though : not so see the designs ( watch Grand Design for that ) but to see the crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think maybe it was meant to fit in with the rest of the sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ah now if that fine Stone farmhouse was there in that family(untouched as Dermot said) for 200 years then there was old money there, you're goin back to the 1820's when the majority on this island were in simple mud or stone structures in the countryside unless they were gentry or squireens... No flies on that couple only dead wans, lovely couple though they were, I'd guarantee you, the poormouth worrying about the budget was for the gallery imo

As someone else said, if they were living in his parents bungalow for the past 10 years and she had a job as a teacher as stated, and he was a farmer, they should have been able to save at least 2k a month (if not more) , which would be minimum 240,000 after 10 years? Fair dues to them, I could not care where they got their money from. What is of interest to the viewer though, is the grants, as some viewers around the country are either renovating or considering upgrading insulation etc, or considering buying an old house to do up.

The grants criteria seem to be not very transparent, what exactly did they get? I know of an old cottage (in an urban area, so no planning issues, and they got planning, and the old bit of wall was incorporated in to the new house on the plans) which was knocked except for a bit of one wall, and a fancy new Dermot Bannon Style house (although Dermot is not the architect and has no connection) is being built where the old cottage is : are they getting every grant under the sun too? Would'nt surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Dermot on today fm this morning was asked if the couple got all the grants they looked for and he said no they were not entitled to the vacant grant and he just forgot to mention it during the program 🙄 that’s the only one he mentioned but reading between the lines they didn’t get others looked for .. this is unfair and playing with the truth and giving people the impression they got all the grants .. for transparency they should be made to disclose what grants they did receive .. adding money to the budget because of grants they haven’t a hope of getting..

Advertisement