Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

most of these players wouldnt be leaving leinster if they werent being pushed to Munster.

Munster are reliant on players from leinster to be competitive of this theres no doubt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Do you honestly think Munster will sign 5 Leinster players for next season?

They had 3 Leinster developed guys in the 23 for the URC final last season. Do you think that's too many?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

I'm not familiar with that stat but if it's true then it's extremely impressive for Munster. They have far fewer resources so will inevitably produce fewer home grown players than Leinster, who have far more resources and should in turn be expected to produce far more homegrown players.

I think all provinces are doing well in player development in the context of most of our European competitors, and movement of some players within the system is natural and to be welcomed. I don't see the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Awful lot of shite being flung for something that hasn't happened yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Well how overblown is it? Your best player is from Leinster as is tour starting props! Never-ending Hadden and Foxe. You've produced Wycherly... at looshead. If Milne does go, Wycherly will be logging out in the AIL. You've produced no one at tight head! Zero. Your future tight heads. SALANOA and Foxe are Leinster products.

Yea! Sorry, it's my bad. I'll shut up. Sorry lads.

And even Leinster, with their enviable production line, have had a problem producing 9's. It's gonna happen in certain positions.

Like I said, 15 vs 17 homegrown players in the starting 23 of the respective finals last season. To get "can't produce their own player." from that, yes, is overblown, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

If it is 15/23 vs 17/23 it to some degree is overblown.

One position group realistically being a weakness is going to happen at some point to everyone but leinster.

5 players would be surprising. I think Milne would be an interesting one. If i was leinster i’d probably try to make doubly sure that I kept both of mccarthy and boyle as a clear priority. So that would make sense. They are both prob higher potential than milne.

Frawley would surprise me. I’m not sure munster is clearly a better situation for him. I’m not sure he would start for their fully fit first team except maybe at 15.

Soroka… who knows.

If i was them, i’d try to get Larmour. He would really fit that offensive style.

Edit: also one point of distinction.. are hadden and foxe really leinster products? Imo if you never gave a player a penny to play rugby for you, you don’t get to claim them as products. All their professional development will be done outside leinster. Or at the very least we need to figure out some other term. Because you can’t claim foxe and salanoa surely?

Or to put it another way i don’t consider McKee an Ulster product. He did basically his entire pro development at leinster. Not giving leinster any credit for that is weird.

Post edited by ulsteru20s on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Very obvious why you chose the 23. Given how many players Leinster have to provide to other provinces they are always going to need to supplement their bench from elsewhere.

For the starting 15 Leinster had 12 through their system while Munster had 9.

You said on another thread in the last hour when trying to make the other side of a similar discussion that Conway would have won a URC medal if he wasn't injured. Taking your word there the difference between the two would be more than 25% of a starting team.

I do agree with you that the original statement is currently overblown. It was however pretty accurate for about a decade when Munster were barely contributing anything from their academy - something that has thankfully changed in the last few years.

Very obvious why you chose the 23.

Because it's a larger sample size that's more indicative of the squad. I'm glad you agree with this tho:

I do agree with you that the original statement is currently overblown.

But I don't agree with this:

It was however pretty accurate for about a decade when Munster were barely contributing anything from their academy - something that has thankfully changed in the last few years.

I'm sure you'll claim I'm cherry-picking again, but funnily enough, the previous final they were in prior to last season, Munster also had 15 home-grown players in the 23. Indeed, 11 of them started.

They still backed homegrown players to a similar degree, they just weren't as high a quality as they are producing now. That's very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That is the point I was making, the output from the Munster academy wasn't contributing before because they weren't producing high quality players.

I don't believe anyone is making the argument that they were not literally producing players, they weren't producing good players.

Given the context of the conversation was signing Leinster players, I would suggest that is exactly what the OP meant, but fair enough, little disagreement with this take.

Happily, it's one we no longer have as much reason to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

I'm always amazed how much time is spent talking about on Munster on the Leinster thread!

Both lads came up through the Leinster clubs systems.

Milne has been forced south apparently, hopefully they don't ruin him ala Carbery. Fairly frustrating tbh, given how good he is. Remainder, who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Milne is a decent prospect, but I don't think he's a can't miss, sure fire hit either. His scrummaging needs a lot of work still. On the plus side he's an abrasive carrier and does good work in the loose.

But Leinster have two other prospects in Boyle and McCarthy that do the same things and are younger to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Line speed good, lineout bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Didn’t realise Furlong’s Dad passed away.

R.I.P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Furlong lucky to not be pinged there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Soft

McCarthy is a beast

Must start in 6N v France

Ridiculous call there - the Stade player was the one holding Baird and he never made any attempt to get to the defensive line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Silly by Baird on the tryline. Do all the hard work and waste it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

McCarthy is the best defensive maul operator in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Who’s on TNT co-comms with Ryle?

Henshaw still getting pinged for offside from set pieces all these year later after Cardiff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Henshaw miles offside there lol

Advertisement