Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If that's what you think you'll probably never support the scheme I'm guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I have a small interest in a medium sized retail/catering entity, I talked to the manager/part owner today about this scheme, we are exempt as the retail area is under 300sqM but we do have to display signage indicating nearest return machine.(there is no room on our premises for taking back bottles/cans and it would also have food safety implications.)

I asked him a about the pricing side of things and was informed that plastic bottles and cans will increase by 15c/20c to the consumer, the typical 500ml water will increase from 1E to 1.20E.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This is a great idea. One of the biggest problems with our current recycling system is that people don't segregate properly and put unsuitable material in the recycling bins. This is a good article which explains it all:

One problem not mentioned in that article is the continued illegal burning of waste in rural areas. Better enforcement is needed on that as well.

Going back to the article, because of the poor record of Irish people in segregating and recycling, an initiative like this is a really good idea as it gets people to start recycling correctly.

I am aware that it will impact more heavily on those living in rural areas, but there has always been a social and economic price to be paid for the benefits of rural living. Those are going to increase over the coming decades. Anyone with any sense will be living if not in a city, then within walking distance of a decent town or village.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

LOL - patronising how are you. So Paddy doesn't understand how to put things in the right container. What'll they be feeding these RVMs I wonder - the imagination boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I don’t know if your being serious or not.

your quoting figures that mean different things - we are likely sending 75% + aluminum back for recycling also as it stands - there nobody there to count the cans in the waste center though - when the cans are separated and weighed they are recycled, exported or landfilled - this Machine will not change that.

• Advertisement

It's not me who is saying it, it is the newspaper article with the statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Wait till the unintended consequences filter through and we'll all see it for what it is. This is not remotely comparable to the plastic bag levy or 'banning' of incandescent lightbulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭event

Anyone with any sense will be living within walking distance of a city or town?

You sound like you have never left Dublin in your life

Yes, just like in most European countries like France, Spain, Germany etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭FazyLucker

Christ are you lads still arguing about this a month later? I read the start of the thread before Christmas as far as page twenty something today and I gave up reading when somebody arguing about how much electricity was used by the door in the Centra opening!

There was a consultation period for this a long time ago, I remember it being talked about on the radio. Then was the time to air the views.

Look, old Mary in her 80's will be fine. She probably isn't a chronic alco so the max 3-4 plastic bottles a week I'm sure she can figure out a way around it. She'll be in the supermarket every few months or somebody will help her out. Hard cases make bad laws.

I can already here the "Its disgraceful Joe" brigade getting warmed up for the 1st week in Feb, as if this system is the single greatest travesty and inconvenience ever inflicted on them. Christ....

The vast majority of people will just get on with it and find a way to make it work.

There is no doubt to me that this is anti-litter measure rather than anything else. Anything which encourages litter reduction and stops our parks and beaches being destroyed every fine day in the summer needs to be on the table. The system might not be perfect and yes it punishes the responsible citizen (like us all) who use their recycling bin properly to punish the scumbag who throws their cans or bottles on the beach/street/park.

It is far from the biggest issue we have with our waste management system and definitely not one to get too exercised about. Having 4 bin lorries from each bin company driving up my road every Monday (using 4x more diesel than is needed) annoys me way more than this system ever will. Or the routine fly tipping which goes on on a side street close to our house (and I bet many can relate to this) which rewards people for not disposing of their rubbish properly.

Witnessing the young teenagers in a local school near me throwing their wrappers on the ground rather than holding on to their crap till they find a bin or get to the school (3 minutes away) shows how far we need to go to sort out our problems with litter and the attitude to it.

I'm not getting in to the debate so feel free to reply whatever you want but I'd say pick your battles in this life!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Not arguing with your overall conclusion but none of the examples of bad waste disposal behaviour you highlight will be addressed by this initiative, unless the scumbags put their sweet wrapper in the drink bottle before tossimg it into the RVM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

i believe that was me - do you not think it’s a little ironic a green initiative located in a place where a user will keep the auto door open hence needing more power to heat the premises… I certainly do.

Or is it not a bit odd that this will result in more car journeys to deposit the bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

People will deposit the bottles on their next visit to the supermarket. Few extra car journeys.

The circular economy is the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Anyone with any sense will be living if not in a city, then within walking distance of a decent town or village.

Interesting and completely bonkers.

Not at all, it is the way of the world across most of continental Europe, it is why their villages and towns still have life in them.

People only live within walking distance of towns and villages in continental Europe?

That's next level nonsense.

Next level nonsense claiming that’s what he wrote. You should read people’s posts more carefully.

IF there are any unintended consequences you mean?

Have there been many unintended consequences in other countries that introduced similar schemes?

• Advertisement

I think it's more a case of people don't understand or don't want to understand

We've already disproven many of the myths about extra car journeys, dismantling of the old system, inconvenience and how the old system works...

It might also be that the ones against the new system are owners (or maybe just very high ranking execs) of our private waste collection companies who will now lose out on some of the easy recyclables

The system certainly isn't perfect, I'd personally like to see crushed cans, milk containers and glass bottles included among other improvements, but it's a step in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

No wonder threads like this turn into groundhog days. On the one hand the champions of the scheme criticise anyone who display any sign of discontent asking them to prove their statements or basically stfu and then come along triumphantly declaring they have disproven any claims of inconvenience associated with the scheme. Of course its more inconvenient than the (whatever colour tickles your fancy) recycling bin at your house. Will I engage with it? Yes. Would it be more convenient for me not to? Yes or course.

We've already disproven many of the myths about extra car journeys, dismantling of the old system, inconvenience and how the old system works...

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭This is it

Presumably asked and answered but I'm not reading 1100 posts to find it...

What happens to the deposits taken by retailers that aren't reclaimed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

The ones 'against the new system' have been playing the long game. They joined up to Boards decades ago when just starting out with the private waste companies just in case this new system was ever introduced.

I am more in favour of a number of continental schemes which provide for segregation into five or six different types of recyclable material, except that you have to bring them to local recycling options, like our bottle bins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would like to know if anybody can guide me to sorting out home recycling into different bags without using my green bin and filling it up with stuff i could drop off. Cardboard and plastics. Loads of cans here need to be washed and dried and unsure if getting crushed or brought to recycling centre.

Plenty of plastic water bottles will easily fill bags.

Just exploring my actions to lessen bin lifts as getting expensive again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement