Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P*ss off and don’t be bothering me

Comments

• I can appreciate that she made her presence and intent known but.. surely the intelligent angle is to say “hey there I’m just delivering pamphlets, I see you’re busy so I’ll just leave one in the post box thanks!”

In would be weird I think to just walk past you and say nothing but to try and encourage you to come out from under the car to take it is silly. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

She could have danced the conga up the driveway to the door, and I wouldn't have noticed. To her, all I was was two legs. She didn't even have to walk by me or over me - I was on the far side of the car from the route to the door. She doesn't need my permission to put a leaflet in the letterbox. She didn't phone any of the other neighbours beforehand to ask if she could put one in theirs. It's not Texas where she'd be afraid she'd be shot for being "on my property" unannounced. I don't know, I'm just baffled.

Here's another one - but I was very nice and helpful this time.

Out for a walk with the dog yesterday, just around the estate. A car stops on the other side of the road, and calls me. So I have to pick up the dog (excited puppy) and walk over to her. She's in the car with her teenage daughter. They ask "is this such an such a place?". It is, I say, but that's a very big area (a whole suburb of a town, basically). Do you have an address? "No", she says "Just an Eircode".

Of course an Eircode should lead you exactly to the house you're looking for.

So I ask for the Eircode, thinking I'll look it up on my phone.

The teenager then proceeds to show me her phone. She's entered the Eircode on her Google Maps app. It's showing up on the map. Her location is showing up on the map. You can see that the place they're looking for is on a road directly parallel to the one we're currently on. But what these geniuses haven't done is hit the "Directions" button that would give them accurate turn-by-turn instructions - both in text and by audio - on how to take two right turns to get to where they wanted. I wasn't under a car, so I put my incredulity aside and just helpfully and cheerfully directed them, like you'd talk to a toddler who can't find the teddy they just dropped behind them. "There he is! There's Teddy! He's behind you love! No, not under you, just behind. Look..."

It's unbelievable to think that such people walk (and indeed drive) amongst us.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭paddyirish23

Only 2 ways of looking at this, you either parked outside hours house and he's just annoyed for no good reason or you blocked access to the guys house, in which case your an a**hole and you should know better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

I've recently decided that I choose who I engage with, not other people.

So in the OP's situation I would choose not to engage, at all, completely ignore them and simply get into my car and drive off as if they weren't there.

This has the double positive of:

A) Avoiding any hassle

B) Annoying the Karen (Especially if you get the bonus point of "Excuse me, I'm talking to you")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,742 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do understand when people get annoyed when others block their drive/road.

However some people belive they own the road and nobody should park on it. I do belive these people are given to much of their own way and are best ignored. First it be parking, then the colour of yout front door, arriving home late, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Also works when you park in spaces reserved for people with disabilities. It really annoys them when they get blanked. I saw the videos on YouTube, and apparently the male ones are known as Kevins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

so you went from considering an apology to acting like a complete pr!ck?

some distance to travel in an instant

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jucko

i support the op. #p*ssoff

thanks in advance for making this man think twice.

• Ah some people need to get a life but at the same time there’s no excuse to be so aggressive about it.

Look, I’ve often felt like telling someone to get fcuked but you just don’t behave that way in a civilised society. It’s certainly not what I was taught growing up anyway.

I think once you fall into uncivilised behaviour, name calling, swearing etc you’re no better than those you’re criticising.

Indeed, OP, you would be imo a bigger crank than the neighbour. He’s being a bit of a clown but you were just plain nasty.

edit: and couple that with your total disregard for your friend and/or any flatmates they have and how this will affect them.. yeah the neighbours not the problem here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Sounds like he was just cross about someone parking outside his house as if he owns it, so that's unreasonable. But I think you overreacted OP - particularly since you have now possibly caused hassle for your friend who has to live next door

I don't drive, so generally I'm totally uninterested and unconcerned about parking issues and who parks outside my house. But my next door neighbours really push their luck. They have 7 cars and frequent visitors. Our driveways can hold 4 cars, and they then take up several spots on the road, too. What bothers me, though, is them parking in my driveway sometimes. I'm reluctant to get into an argument over it, but my family arriving and having to park way down the road are fuming over it and likely to have a word soon enough. I hope they're more diplomatic than you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This country is ruined by "it was only for 5 minutes".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Op going for breakfast in the morning.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

OP, are you familiar with the "Am I the asshole?" concept from Reddit???

Asking for a friend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

You need to grow a pair and not rely on your family members to say something. I wouldn't tolerate strangers parking in my driveway irrespective of if I owned a car or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭allinthehead

🤣 Ya, I believe people who park in those spots without a badge are known as as$holes.

☀️

Seven cars is impressive, and rather exclusive. Stats from 2016 Census.

Meath had the highest proportion of households with at least one car (90.3%), followed closely by Cork County (89.0%). Meath also had the largest proportion (43.3%) of households with two cars. Cork County had the largest proportion (7.7%) of households with three cars while 1.8 per cent of households in the State had four or more cars. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭elperello

An encounter can turn into a confrontation very quickly.

Best not to up the ante and to take the path of least resistance.

De-escalation is almost always best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

I always thought they were being encouraged by not meeting immediate resistance

But I was discouraged many times from acting on it with admonishments such as...you don't know what that person is going through or they could be lunatics and they might kill you etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

Or just "no problem, just pop it in the letterbox sugartits"

And then slowly roll back under the car making sure to make lingering eye contact with a haunting look of loneliness in your eyes

Also before you do this if the car is jacked up make sure its very secure with a backup in case she loses control and is a good improviser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Too many coked up lunatics in this country now

why argue over a parking space when you could end up with a wheel brace caved into your skull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭pgj2015

His friend can just tell the neighbour that the op has Tourette's, he shouts insults at everyone. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Get a new car where you don't have to go through that rigmarole to change a bulb. Otherwise it will just keep happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Basically I think the neighbour won in that situation basically because you swore at him, you then gave him the upper hand by doing so. And no doubt something else to give out about. I know it can be hard in those situations. But the best course of action is to remain calm and win with logic, asking why and calmly explaining. That would have really wound the narky neighbour up. But by you losing the head the 'narky neighbour' won, and will feel justified in his actions.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

You were spot on OP, the very fact the neighbour had nothing else to do than sit by the window waiting for you to return just to moan was justification for telling them where to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Loudly break wind or emphatically tell them the time. Need to throw them off.

Sure. They're a family with 3 adult children all driving. And 2 taxis.

I have to live beside these people, and as a woman living alone you just don't know what trouble you could be bringing on yourself. They seem otherwise normal, but who knows if they're coked up lunatics. I'm not "relying" on anyone - I'd prefer family just let it go. It bothers me because I find it disrespectful, but it's a minor grievance really in the grand scheme of things. I just can't imagine ever being so cheeky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

If you have gates keep them closed, can't see them opening your gates.

Or else put some flower pots across the entrance that can be lifted for family members.

That should give the hint.

Advertisement