Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gun 3 in development

Options
  • 12-01-2024 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

I don't really think we really need a Top Gun 3.

Top Gun 2 benefited from modern camera technology but I don't see what else they can do with the franchise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Think biggerer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Just a movie I'd watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

deleted.

Bigger like Top Gun WW3 were they go up against an unnamed enemy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Anything with Thomas Cruise as a hero has my patriotic support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

how much sweet USAF cash will he be getting to grease the wheels?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Was reading they would write off the cost of using the F18s if the Pilots needed the flying time. So they spent alot of time filming when the pilots needed to up their hours.

For me im in two minds on this. I LOVED and LOVED the two movies. Blown away by the cinematics. IF they go "bigger" they risk losing the core of what made it great and just turning it into the Fast and Furios just with Wings.

Maverick is such a good character that I dont think Rooster will be as good as he doesnt take those endeearing risks that Maverick does and gets away with.

Theres only so much you can keep doing with F-18s also, all the new stuff is single Seater Rapters or Lightning airframes.

For anyone who enjoyed the cinematics, this was out before Maverick - Its an in cockpit view of the Typhoon going through the Mach Loop in Wales.

(its a rabbit hole of vids after that)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No don't go the way of MI or F&F, 2 was fine, a good end point imho

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mean, it made 1.5 billion worldwide and was an audience sensation: I'm not in the least bit surprised this is getting a follow-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's surprising the original didn't spawn multiple sequels in the years directly following it especially with the many political goings on in the world at the time. It was 10 years later when the MI franchise kicked off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm in two minds with this one absolutely loved the original and was glad nothing ever came as close with aerial combat, Maverick was fantastic the aerial photography/choreography was another level and I thought this was signed off as a love letter to aviation,

I'm intrigued to what and where, there's some amazing new aircraft coming on line in the next few years that could change things,

I was looking forward to that film for over 2 years, it was one of those bring your sons to movies to re-live 80's epicness ;-) but I was treating the film like an explanation point, not sure I'd be keen on a 3, 4 or 5.

Also I think they would need to wait to all the political craziness calms down, you cant have a good guys v bad guys movie like this when there are actual wars going on.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At least this time they might be able to get away with a named antagonist given Russia's return to pariah status; Maverick's constant knots to avoid naming the enemy nation - even deliberately hiding their pilots' faces lest it show an ethnicity - got a little ridiculous after a while.

If they were to name a real enemy the film would get dated very quickly like Rambo 3.

Remember they had Rambo helping the Taliban to fight the Russians.

Also they wouldn't be able to show it in some markets if it was openly political.

I dunno: things hadn't thawed that much by the 90s that the mainstay of the dissident Russian nationalist group wasn't a convenient boogeyman. Look at stuff like Air Force One. Can't go wrong with Russian breakaway types; cos it tends to come around quite a lot.

Modern blockbusters have become so anaemic and afraid to hurt its global box office they'll bend over backwards not to offend a specific nation (see grovelling apologies in Chinese by John Cena, or the same for Maverick sporting a jacket with a Taiwanese flag on it) - but Russia has truly sabotaged its reputation to the extent you could at least indulge in the classic "crazy Russian faction" plot line. Not many folk around the world would get offended you couldn't get away with it.

Well. Except the Russians, obviously, but at the rate Putin's going there won't be many of those left to go to the cinema anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have to say I really appreciated Top Gun Maverick embracing its fantastical, cartoonish nature and not having a real-world named energy. Obviously there’s still a ‘hoorah US military’ vibe to the film, but the ickier elements are downplayed when actual geopolitics aren’t in the mix. Made it easier to just enjoy the ride, though it’s always worth viewing any film that portrays the US military - or any military - favourably with at least a layer of skepticism and cynicism.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't see why you need a real antagonist in a work of pure fiction.

The film is entertainment not a documentary.

Watched the first one just before seeing Maverick and found it pretty bad, cheesy with poor story line.

Maverick was a definite improvement but also ridiculous. Enemy was so poor that it's probably good not to name the antagonist as no country would allow a plane to be stolen like it was.

Also wonder what fun will be had in the bar where everyone goes in uniform and what homo-erotic sports event they'll come up with this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

^maybe the sport this time could be wrestling?

And if they wanted to go bigger and not name an enemy country, maybe bring in an alien invasion! Top Gun meets War of the Worlds..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have no problem with a TG 3 but end it there then no more. Go out on a big high like Maverick dieing saving the nation from aliens or something like that

If they want more Top Gun then make a series. No more films after 3.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I dont think aliens would be a good direction to go plus Cruise takes himself too seriously to make a movie that verges on parody. I re-watched the trailer for Maverick and there was a bunch of comments mentioning an Indian movie Fighter, now this looks like something that would be a fun movie experience if it was shown here

• Advertisement
Advertisement