Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's like saying I don't care if people engage in slavery.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,507 ✭✭✭✭walshb

As mentioned: dry January has fook all to do with quitting alcohol, and everything to do with immature attention-seeking. Just like sea swimming..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The trouble with the word "polygamy" is that it's specifically one man being married to more than one woman which is not something I agree with - it places women in a subservient role. Might be better to say "I have no issue with polygamy and polyandry" but polyandry is basically reverse sexism.

A better concept than either of them is polyamory but only if everyone involved is also allowed to be polyamorous. Personally I could get my head around that no problem and it was normal for most of human history. We transitioned to monogamy in the Neolithic period when agriculture tied us to a place for the first time. Before that hunter gathers in the same tribe were easy come easy go with territory, food and sexual partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Polyamorous it is so 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

That's gross, freezing and reheating vast quantities of college student meals. Death shall visit on swift wings to those who eat in that manner. I can't imagine sustaining that kind of routine for any length of time without developing some kind of profound spiritual malaise, as if one were dining on ennui itself. The utter and complete disregard of, almost contempt for, the joyful and ancient ritual of nourishment. It leaves the soul unfed, a casts a shadow upon all else.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

The Godfather and The Wire are quite overrated, The Wire in particular.

There's a six parter from the same creators called The Corner, same topics but far superior.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I agree about the Godfather but not the Wire.

I've seen the Godfather 3 times and I would describe it as a really good movie but not even close to one of the best I've ever seen. Totally a critic's and filmmaker's movie.

On a related subject Sgt Pepper by the Beatles regularly tops music magazine polls as the best (or top 3) best albums of all time and it leaves me cold. One of my least favourite Beatles albums actually, everything they did on it was done better on Revolver, the White Album and Abbey Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Not any more. Sgt Pepper has been out of favour for a quite a while. People have been calling it overrated for years. In 1993, the NME writers published a top 100 and Revolver was #2 (after the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds). I was in college at the time and a lot of people went out and bought Revolver then - in my view, that was the start of the push to make it the fan favourite. It's gathered momentum ever since. I actually prefer the US version of the album.

For what it's worth, my Beatles top 3 are 1/ Sgt Pepper, 2/ Let It Be, 3/ The White Album

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Sweetcorn is the mother of all evil.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Completely. And any fûcker doing it has to announce it to the universe on social media that they are doing it.

How about, just don’t drink alcohol until you feel like it, the world doesn’t need to know.

if I’m going on say no takeaways in January … I’ll just say that to whoever needs to know… “look listen I won’t be going for chipper on Fridays for X weeks….wanna lose some weight or whatever….

of course ‘thanks’ and ‘likes’ are the currency of these dweebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

From experience, anyone who uses the gaelicised version of their surname is usually a pompous a-hole.

In fact, I would go to say that Irish is the most pointless of all the subjects we learn in school. So you become fluent in it and get a degree, where does that take you? Either as an Irish teacher or a host of a twee show on TG4. Isn't exactly going to bang down doors of international companies.

Latin hasn't been widely spoken in centuries yet is the language of international law.

Given the path of our emigrants over recent years, we'd be far better served learning Arabic or Chinese in secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Most of the famous food cultures in Europe are trading very much on their reputation. The upwardly mobile in Ireland might have came back from their holiday in France in the 80's raving about the meal they had in some roadside tavern, but it doesn't mean we still have to take that as gospel.

Most of the French bistros, Italian Trattoria and Spanish Bodegas/Tapas places serve up terrible food. So do Irish pubs, but we don't pretend to have some great food culture. I'd say the quality of read-to-heat food being delivered to Irish pubs is of a far higher standard than on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Definitely controversial when it comes to Italy, there, B.

Been there a few times at this stage and think I only had 1 truly bad meal and that was a sandwich job in some dump out by Piazza Barberini.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Ireland is full of clowns (who haven’t a word in their vocabulary) pretending they give a Sh1t about a useless dead language. I’m proud to be Irish, but this forcing a dead language grates me. Absolute waste!!!

I was at a degree conferring the other day and about 20 percent the recipients were Irish and rest Indian/Pakistan/Asian. The amount time wasted on the presenter speaking Irish to a room full of folks who hadn’t a clue what was being said..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Criminal Law (Defence and the Dwelling) Bill 2011 allows a homeowner ato defend themselves with reasonable force. Was drawn up in response to the Mr Nally case.

It's already been tested legally too. Guy got off when he killed an intruder. And rightly so.

That’s true, but seemingly not well known. I often see the myth repeated on twitter/FB etc that you can’t attack an intruder or they can sue you if you attack etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I don't really care about Israel and Palestine. There's people getting killed in numerous conflicts all over the world. Sudan, Myanmar, Ukraine to name a few. The media tells people which ones there supposed to care about. Ireland should stay completely out of it, I don't appreciate Leo or anyone else in government claiming to speak for me on the issue and especially not the idiots calling for us to join some international case against them.

Speaking about Italian cuisine, there is no garlic in Bolognese, no cream in Carbonara and no peas or carrots in Lasagna. And no one should care, you should cook them however you like. And make italians watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

there is no garlic in Bolognese

Tell that to the chef, from Bologna, who gave me an excellent recipe for ragu Bolognese.

He gave you a recipe, his recipe, not THE recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Just out of curiosity, I decided to check my copy of the Silver Spoon, which some regard as the Bible of authentic Italian cooking, or at least that's what claims on a sticker on the cover.

And I can confirm although it is optional there is indeed garlic in the bolognese meat sauce.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Back on topic, I believe anyone who comes on here to post and makes claims should have to where possible back up their claims with a source.

This would help cut down on the amount of fake news and bullshit some people come up with.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

Advertisement