Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Sure

Glass - glass recycling bin

Aluminium cans and plastic bottles sized between 150ml to 3L - reverse vending machines or recycling bin

Other recycling - recycling bin

Food waste, coffee grounds and paper - Compost bin

Everything else - General waste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

You have disproven nothing - lets not misinform new readers of the thread. All you have done, like Re-turn, is misrepresented irrelevant statistics.

Stick your fingers in your ears and your head up your rear though - this will fix the planet(not meant as an insult, you are just refusing to deal in realism and keep going with the ideal/perfect scenario)

Do we have any source of the revenue model at all?

We know the scheme pays for itself - but what goes to gov and what goes to re-turn. I'd assume that is public information.

This is all I can see:

) The costs of operating a scheme shall be recouped from –

(i) registration fees set by an approved body,

(ii) producer fees set by an approved body on the basis of

quantity and material type placed on the market,

(iii) unredeemed deposits as provided for in these Regulations,

(iv) revenue derived from the sale of returned in-scope bottles

and containers,

(v) any other income source created by an approved body.

From: https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2021/si/599/made/en/pdf

That appears to be 100% to the private company then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

boggles has made a claim about the scheme, why are you replying to me?

Its a discussion thread, but to answer your question, if you had a source - which should be available to the public by right, it would disprove Boggles claim. The absence of assurances leaves room to wonder where the vast amounts of money will go considering we recycle so little(according to the figures touted by Re-Turn, the figures that the public has no control over.).

I replied to you as I thought you may know, genuinely curious.

• Advertisement

You reckon that the Re-Turn CEO gets a salary increase? Boggles made the claim. Onus on him to stand it up.

I also wonder what happens to the money. If Boggles can prove into the back pocket of the CEO, fair play.

Yeah that's all I want to find out - Boggles made a tongue and cheek claim but you or I have no idea if its correct or not, it raises a very valid question - surly there should be a document somewhere in the public domain that outlines this - surly the one I linked cant be the only one which would mean that all the "Profit" goes to a private entity and none goes to further green schemes.

You have no idea if it’s correct? Stop. Like come **** on….

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Page 19 of the Lidl leaflet this week.

A short explanation of Return and they will sell you a handy bag to hold your bottles and cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭babyducklings1

If you buy a multipack of cans or water how does the deposit work does anyone know? Is each item priced individually?

Also if you already recycle in the green bin and pay for it why do you have to lug all this stuff to the shop?

Another scenario people digging in your green bin to find the recycables 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You have to bring it to the machine at the shop to get your deposit back.

Your plastic bottles and cans will be in the house not in the bin so that scenario won't arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭babyducklings1

So on a 12 multi pack of cans of coke let’s say that’s adds 1.80. Then you have to bring the container back in perfect condition whereas with the green bin just throw it in , any condition plus no travel with the used can or bottle. Interesting to see how this will pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,961 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What if you buy an item with cash, with he refund be in cash?

Can a person return an item not bought by them , and still get a refund ?

You get a voucher and you can go into the shop and exchange that for cash.

You can return the bottle/can to any shop irrespective of where it is bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don't have a bin service. I have a single 240L bin that I bought 2nd hand and which I fill with bags of domestic rubbish.

When it's full I throw the bags into the boot and drive them to the local landfill where for about a tenner, the entire lot can be thrown into the compactor.

I don't have a back garden, I live alone, and I have no space nor desire for 3/4 bins that are costing me a lot more per month that I'd spend in 3 using the above method.

I do have a small kitchen bin for the handful of glass bottles jars I'd use. When that fills (again after several months), I throw it into a plastic bin beside the local garage. The coke cans I drink are crushed after use and thrown in with the rest of the waste.

This latest scam won't change my mind. I don't need my (small) kitchen full of rubbish/bins and having to spend more in diesel than I'd probably save with the extra "recycling" runs. It'll just be thrown into the bin as normal.

Like so much of this Green nonsense, when you look into it a bit it falls apart.

Buy EV... just ignore the damage done by battery mining and producing the car, not to mention the waste of scrapping otherwise perfectly good cars

Seperate all your rubbish.. ignore that it'll all likely end up in a landfill or sent off to some country in the far east where it'll end up in the sea/their landills.

This one is just another Green party virtue signalling brain fart that looks good but will cause more hassle to those who are supposed to use it, and they'll still be paying for it anyway through their bin charges (if they have bins now).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

I really don’t see how this scheme will significantly improve our can recycling rate. If someone is out and about and finishes a can, they are unlikely to bring it home given the risk of residue leaking out or damaging it. It will just be fired into a bin, rather than searching for the nearest RVM or retailer that accepts them to get their 15c back.

Of course you might have someone go through the bins to retrieve cans, but the requirement for a can to be undamaged to get the deposit back will reduce the success rate.

Those currently using their recycling bin for cans will now have a number of additional steps:

ensure the cans remain in good condition,

store them somewhere,

bring them to their nearest RVM or retailer,

likely have to queue for the RVM or come back again when it’s quiet,

if using a RVM take the time to put each can individually into the machine and wait for it to be scanned, repeating the process as required,

receive a voucher, to be used as part of your shop or queue to get your refund.

I can’t see how that can be considered convenient for the consumer compared to putting it straight in the recycle bin. The process appears to make it more convenient for the recycling company.

You've obviously never been to a typical French village. The vast majority have had the life sucked out of them by the local giant hypermarket. Other than a the very touristy ones, the majority of rural French villages are extremely dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I have just found this thread so apologies if this has been asked before:

What refuse collection company collects Your recyclables free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I have a pile of cans in the recycling bin. They don’t have the re-turn symbol so won’t qualify for the new deposit and return scheme.

I know that there are reverse vending machines in Dublin that take cans and bottles at the moment. Does anybody know where these are located?

If you continue to put cans and plastic bottles in the bags the cost will mount up.

You might do better if you change to bigger plastic bottles instead of cans and use more glass bottles where possible.

The deposit is lower on a 2 liter bottle than on 6 cans and you can recycle glass for free as you are currently doing.

I haven't seen an RVM working yet so I presume they won't until February.

You can just put the cans you have in your recycling bin or take them to a a can bin beside the bottle banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Out of interest why would you want to find a RVM for cans that dont qualify for a refund? Why not leave them in your recycling bin or, if you dont have one, bring them to your local recycling centre. The only reason Id use a RVM is if its financially worthwhile to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

I assume they're small as I've never heard of them but this brewery operating in Northern Ireland is going to cease delivering here citing the new scheme as the reason.

Thorntons only bill me on the weight of that black bin.

Could you never put the black bin out and pay zero but still have your green bin collected?

From memory the service charge for having the bin includes 20kg a month which is well over what I need. No lift charge on any of the three.

So yes, but actually no, because the service charge isn't zero. It's roughly the same with inflation as it always has been even when it was just black bin

If it goes up beyond inflation next time we'll know how much money they made from selling on aluminium and PET.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement