Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Less than 1% but takes up 50% of peoples attention when talking about public finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭blackcard

I am someone who has worked half their life in the public sector and half in the private sector. Took a large cut in my salary to work in the public sector but worked less hours so reckon it was worth it. No bonuses in public sector compared to 2 weeks pay in private sector. Worked with wasters in both sectors, probably more in public sector. When working in private sector, I used to crib about paying public sector wages. In public sector, cribs about paying wages of unemployed and pensions of private sector OAP through taxes of those who have not contributed 1 cent to a pension scheme whereas my pension contributions have been deducted regardless.

At the moment, you will struggle to get engineers, technicians, crafstpersons, IT technicians, planners, architects, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, etc. to work in the public sector as wages in the private sector are far higher. When the next burst comes, this will change but there will be an embargo on encruitment then. At the higher level, Wages in the public sector for administrative staff would be lower than those in multi-nations and larger companies whilst they would be higher than those working in your smaller private sector companies. Having sat on interview boards boards for administrative staff recently, you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭bren2001

It’s not even relevant to the public pay talks….

No matter what you do, people will cheat the system. It’s a drop in the ocean.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2024/01/13/can-the-comfortable-classes-in-the-public-sector-make-the-case-for-a-better-pay-deal/. I am not subscribed but the headline probably tells me all I need to know about the piece.

Post edited by lbunnae on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

• Advertisement

CSO. It isn’t relevant to this thread.

According to the CSO Dec 23 statistic, long term ( >1 year) unemployed are 62k .. up 1% from Last year .... you brought up the statistic, harped on about it and now are saying what you said was irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

I really don't care. They've publicly accepted that cost of living increases need addressing through social and min wage increased, then insult their employees

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/siptu-warns-public-service-industrial-action-inevitable-if-deal-is-not-struck/a1828749638.html

"Of the 7.5pc pay rises proposed by Mr Donohoe’s department, 1.5pc would be paid in March this year and 2pc in October. Next year, under the department’s proposal, there would be further pay rises of 1pc and 1.5pc. There would also be 1.5pc on February 1, 2026."

The above is quoted by the Independent today. By breaking up the increases into into five increases over 26 months to February 2026 (with it being assumed that the increases next year come in March 2025 and October 2025) it ends up being the case that public servants will only receive 3.55% more over this 26 months than if they had received no increases at all.

The simple fact is that FF/FG don't want to pay for public servants. They see them as lower than those on welfare who are capable of finding work but choose not to. So much for looking after those who get up at seven in the morning.

• Advertisement

"However, a spokesperson (from the DPER) pointed out that public servants did not just benefit from pay rises......The spokesperson added that it is important to note these benefits should be viewed in the context of substantial cost-of-living measures. These include energy credits and tax cuts in both Budget 2023 and 2024."

This is just f**king mad stuff from the DPER. Who, in the private sector, goes into the office of their boss to seek a pay rise and has recent budgetary measures quoted back to them? Are public servants supposed to be grateful for having their own money returned to them?

Who in other sectors of the economy have heard: "Congratulations you got the job. We'd like to offer you €X per year PLUS extra budgetary measures announced by the government".

Also this DPER spokesperson is crossing the line between being politically neutral and politically supporting FF/FG. These people are so unprofessional they don't even know what their own jobs require of them.

The number of persons on the Live Register for one year or more in December 2023 was 62,295 - up 629 (+1.0%) from a year earlier

Long term is considered 1 year or more

FF/FG are also negotiating on behalf of the government for a period of time beyond their electoral mandate. The unions should cancel all talks and concentrate on 2024 deal - a one year deal - and then return to the negotiating table under a new government.

I'm not stating that the situation would necessarily be better under a new government but it couldn't be any worse under the likes of FF/FG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭skidmarkoner

We should be refusing to work with DPER all departments should work to rule and ignore any means of communication from the Department who doesn't value staff across the public sector.

At the end of the day a strike that affects the people will just turn the public against us but an internal strike against the main government body that negotiates pay well that'll mess them up internally and force the hand to actually offer something substantial.

This appears to be the financial offer:

"It is understood the government offer meant:

• 1.5pc or a minimum of €750 from March 1 this year
    • 2pc from October 1 this year
    • 1pc on March 1 next year
    • 1.5pc or a minimum of €750 on August 1 2025
    • 1.5pc on February 1, 2026
    • plus 1pc paid in a “local bargaining” clause to deal with other claims."

Leaving aside the 1% "local bargaining" as that is vague and will not necessarily be received by all public sector workers this deal appears to work out as follows:

An overall 1.75% increase in wage for 2024 (due to the splitting up of the increases). On 1st January 2025 salaries will be 3.5% higher than on 1st January 2024.

An overall 3.2% increase in wage for 2025 relative to the amount earned in 2024. This exceeds the summation of the two offers of 1pc and 1.5pc in 2025 because the 1pc and 1.5pc increases are increases on the increased wage from 2024 and on the increased wage in March 2025.

A further 1.5% increase on 1st February 2026 bringing salaries to 7.7% higher than they were 26 months earlier on January 1st 2024.

Overall over the 26 months public sector workers will have received a cumulative total of 3.67% more than if there had been no deal at all with no increases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Not to mention that not all public servants benefitted to the same extent from the budget measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Thats the point though. It extremely emotive and for good reason. Working people in both the private and public sector are struggling to make a living. All the while we have the welfare class getting prioritised for housing, getting propped up for energy upgrades. I know of countless situations where people claiming the welfare have been handed 3 and 4 bed A rated new builds worth 400 and 500 thousand.

We have a govt. arguing about a pay increase, most of which will be taken back in paye,prsi,usc etc. Its bananas.

The figure is a lot more than 32k. Thats the manipulated figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭bren2001

The LR isn’t a measure of unemployment. Stop with your bollocks.

if you want to educate yourself on the differences, read this from the Danish equivalent of the CSO:

Its sfa to do with the public pay talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

The article is more balanced than the headline makes it sound. Taylor notes the strength of the union's position and believes a better offer, which is in everyone's interest, is in the making:

"Against this backdrop, you would have to reckon that a lot that went on this week was performative, on both sides, part of the dance that seems to precede any agreement. With the Government offering 8.5 per cent over 2½ years and the unions seeking 12.5 per cent, there is a deal to be done around 10 per cent. That would seem roughly in line with deals in big private sector companies that seem to be coming in around 3.75 per cent to 4 per cent for this year."

It’s a Low figure. It’s a fart in the wind with regard to public finances and not relevant to this thread.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Possibly accounted for by those signing on long term on a part week basis. Not entirely comfortable with that as it's using taxpayer money to subsidise crap employers.

Scrap the cap!

To people who don’t see the bigger picture and think there is millions of “scrotes” going around not working. It’s simply not true. I’ll leave it there anyway with any comments on the unemployed, I hate punching down.

Post edited by lbunnae on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Francis McM

+1. My cousin tells me stories as well of how only an hour or two a day was worked in her public sector office, and one person who came from the private sector was actually told to slow down and keep her mouth shut to others on the lack of productivity. One lady actually was an avid knitter and spends between a third and half her time knitting. I am sure not all the public service is like that though.

Thanks for that. 10 would be my guess, it’s just under the half way mark between the two offers as well, 10 would have large scale acceptance. I’m not an economist though and fair enough the 2024 inflation prediction but god knows about 2025/2026.

Did ye hear the story about the lad who was sent down to the basement in the customs house for 10 years? They forgot about him until he was retiring.

Lol.

I have been told to slow down working in the private sector. Happens everywhere, building sites is a popular one. Pointless anecdote on a public sector pay thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That last sentence completely fails to address how badly we fell behind the rising cost of living over the last deal. A loss of at least 6.5% which needs to be addressed up front in any new deal.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I worked for one of the "pillar" banks as a college graduate. There were 7 people in my section. Two of them did the bare minimum and just stayed under the radar, two of them took on every task with vigour (I was one of those due to naivety), the other three seemed to compete with eachother for being of any use; extra long lunch breaks, maximizing sick leave, ignoring tasks, deliberately misinterpreting tasks, making a balls of tasks to ensure they weren't asked again.

I now realise that the problem wasn't the employee - it was the structures. People's stages of life, personal ambitions were not considered. Those chasing promotion - and there were plenty of them- never tackled structural issues. They focussed on glamorous easy wins.

Human nature is human nature. The workplace being public or private is less a factor.

Advertisement