Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laminate flooring and underlay

Options
  • 09-01-2024 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if there's any opinions or advice on the above.

• Need 24sqm, have picked out a AC5 12MM 4 way V groove bevel, for downstairs, medium to high traffic. Should be fine for the everyday use. There was cheap stuff down before and a 2mm foam underlay.

Was thinking of going for a heavier 5mm underlay gold foil to make more soundproofed.

https://www.irishflooring.ie/product/super-gold-5mm-wood-flooring-underlay-15-sq-mtr/

Wouldn't cause any issues would it with the click system with the laminate would it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

As a closed cell foam, it shouldn't be an issue at all, as it's designed for your intended use. As long as the floor beneath is flat and solid (concrete) then plough on ahead.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JPCareyG

I put the same down on a quite uneven floor with 2mm insulation and so far so good. The area I put down is low traffic.

Agree with Ghost here, the flatter the floor before you lay it the happier the laminate will be

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

Yeah the floor is in good shape, well ok considering the sh!te that was on top of it. Been walking on the concrete the last 3 months so it has smoothed out some since.

if you guys care for a look :)

Also, was considering starting on the top right if this image, it's the longest straightest wall I have. Any others think different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I would snap a chalk line from the front door to the sitting room door and work off that line. Lay out the boards in the hall and make sure you are not going to have a really small cut along one wall etc... some floors lay easier one direction than the other, so make sure you start in the correct direction to speed up laying.

The top right is an alcove that will probably have plants furniture so won't really be noticed, but the front door will.

Thanks for that DD, This is more or less to scale, I'll not lay it like this but gives you an idea or the widths of the planks (188 WIDE)

10MM spacing will be

accommodated where it needs it, also the far all will finish with a less, about 100mm but will have furniture at that wall so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

That looks the part. Just be careful as often one or more of the walls will run off in some direction. Snap a chalk line from the front door to the sitting room and take some measurements from this to check things are parallel and will look ok.

Forgot to post a pic, finished this awhile back. Few mistakes on cutting first off but soon got the hang of it. Thanks to all who gave advice on this.

Advertisement