Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Conan is still doing well, I'd say he's doing better than most of the current crop of Late Night Chat Show Hosts in the United States.

From way back but one of the funniest interviews on Late Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKmadR4Ye54

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭animalinside

I'd say that was it alright. It all makes total sense now - when you look at his big break from Tubridy Tonight where he was considered a goofball and a bit shambolic but with a touch of comedy - that touch of comedy was almost certainly largely inspired from Conan, who Irish viewers would be largely unfamiliar with at the time. Hardly any Irish people would have been watching Conan, and Tubridy likely just copied his style and mannerisms that would have been all original stuff to Irish audiences. Once he got his foot in the door then it all opened up for him and he was pushed for The Late Late Show.

If people can remember back to when he was first chosen for the Late Late Show,,, the biggest discussion at the time was whether or not he could do serious discussion, because he was known as a bit of a clown on Tubridy tonight (the good kind of clown but a clown nonetheless).

And we certainly got our answer, and it was all downhill from there.

I don't know that they will boot him from UK radio, he might go on regional radio or middle-of-the-night filler and claim he loves the quietness of it all, the only thing we can be certain of is he won't do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

There's a remarkable difference between Tubridy's RTE afterlife and Pat Kenny's RTE afterlife. Kenny, I think, reached the mandatory RTE retirement age and RTE did not renew his contract despite him having one of the main radio slots. He was picked up by Communicorp. Tubridy was dumped by RTE and no Irish broadcaster wanted to hire him. The difference is that Kenny can do Current Affairs well and Light Entertainment less so. The only thing that Tubridy does is Light Entertainment and there's a lot of competition in that niche. While Current Affairs is more localised, Light Entertainment skills are more transferable hence Tubridy getting a job on Virgin Radio. As it is a more competitive niche, if Tubridy doesn't make the numbers on Virgin (leaving aside the Q102 syndication deal), there's always some local presenter who connects with the Virgin Radio audience waiting in the wings.

Tubridy is out of his depth outside Montrose. He's a product of RTE and needs to be back there. The syndication part of the Virgin Radio deal looks much more important in that respect. He was about to be rehired but didn't seem to understand that the whole situation had changed. The problem with his return to RTE is that it is not the RTE that dumped him.

There will be approximately 400 job cuts in RTE. Tubridy and the 150K has resulted in a bit of a change in management and the people who championed Tubridy are gone. The institutional memory of the damage that the Tubridy payments has done to RTE will persist for a few years yet. For some, he killed their golden goose.

There's a sense that the "new" RTE will want to draw a line between it and the "old" RTE. Taking Tubridy back would, after all the negative publicity, make it look like nothing has changed. That's going to be a very tricky position for RTE management.

Based on the current opinion polling, the next government could be an SF-led one and SF seemed to be in favour of direct funding of RTE rather than continuing with the licence fee. Bringing back Tubridy in such a changed political environment (FF stands to lose quite a few seats if its current polling translates to a General Election vote and might only get around 20 seats) might not work out well for RTE and it may still need a bailout or two. Rather than a possible one or two year exile from RTE, it could be five or more years. Or it may be permanent. Q102 etc may well be Tubridy's future until then if the Virgin gig does not work out.

Regards...jmcc

Could be the basis for a new column in the Phoenix magazine. :)

Regards...jmcc

Think that he increased the number of listeners on Tubridy's old RTE slot. He might even be able to do a better Richard Nixon than Tubridy.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mykrodot

The LLS show last night was arguable the best yet. I hadn't watched it in over a month but its certainly improved.

Patrick Kielty has really relaxed into his role, what I like about him is that he allows his guest to talk, to answer questions, he picks up on the thread in the conversation and goes further with it. That aside his guests last night were top notch.

Conan O Brien was hilarious, we need more of this, less insular, less "Irish celebrities", more outward, worldly, travelled, different perspectives, the way it was when Gay Byrne ran the show! Conan got away with taking the pi## with the Irish language names yet singing an Irish ditty at the end. He wasn't asked how much he "liked Ireland" and what was his "favourite thing about Ireland"? (looking at you Ryan!!)

Then Graham Norton... wow! The trad fest music was great too. Just a fantastic show .

We are being shown now just how limited Ryan Tubridy's skills were! How he got such adulation and such money is beyond me. He was made a "star" yet Patrick Kielty is quietly getting on with the job, smashing it and NOT making it all about him!! Go Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Life really has become art - art becomes life and vice versa...

Looks like that "live from The Blarneystone" show is not too far away now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭yagan

If I remember rightly any talk of home studio podcasting from tubridy pretty much evaporated after the first Kielty lls.

Plus Kieltys show stretched past 90mins last night and it could have gone longer.

I think tubridy was the most overt symptom of the detached national broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭Tow

Not a mention of Tubs on the LLS, despite Virgin Radio UK been mentioned in the intro of Norton. I think Tubs should have paid back the 150k like he said he would. At thus stage it is getting too late and the world has moved on.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

Did someone say earlier on this thread that Norton is not a tubs fan?

Norton like Kielty is another who had their own act before becoming a host, they could read a crowd.

Tubridy is just noise in comparison.

I wonder if what time the nk mob clock on today, no doubt they'll be lambasting Kielty and Norton, but probably not Conan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm surprised more haven't picked up on the fact that Tubs was very deliberately and obviously snubbed last night.

I reckon he's already been asked if this new Irish guy is a friend, but I can imagine Norton protecting his own brand. There is absolutely nothing in it for Norton to endorse tubs, and virgin radio obviously know better not to piss off one of their actually stars.

My folks now in their 70's noted that.... anyone with an ounce of cop on can see that! I just think "whats to say?" Its probably all been said both for and against Tubs in this thread alone!

There is no real talk of him as such to this level over in The UK (The Virgin Radio UK thread on DS ranks bottom 25-30 in threads and only gets occasional daily new posts to it - often nowt to do with Mr "Heinohead" or as I LOL'd to see him aptly called elsewhere "That boring Long Streak of P*$$"

A quick hunt on reddit or google for "R T Cocaine" or "Celebs you've met" or "Why is RT so disliked" yields some informative anecdotes.

There is only one thing worse than being talked about:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭Tow

Team NK obviously do not believe in the old adage 'There is no such thing as bad publicity'.

When the auld Victor Meldrews of the Internet lose interest in commenting and complaining, it is a lost cause.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

The nk crew might have a higher weekend rate so maybe he'd prefer to just defend his pony during the week days.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Fantastic LLS last night. Conan and Graham Norton interviews adeptly handled by PK. Instead of the obsequious celebrity worshipping of old, they were treated like mere mortals and responded well to lots of gentle ribbing.

Particularly liked PK's introduction for Norton "a chat show king all the way from Virgin Radio UK" Queue wry smirk :D

Even the LLS trad session, which in recent years always seemed like an exercise in filling air time with tiresome diddly eye, was last night a free flowing celebration that worked well.

Crazy to think RTE stumbled on this formula like someone stumbling on a garden rake.

No credit to rte, they only like pushing in-house talent who they can promote way beyond their ability.

Keilty would have suitable years ago, it isn't a sudden revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭TheBMG

The NK crew may have family who love them and who spend time with them at th weekends

(not me though, I’m always a radio geek)

Renember less than 24 hours to go until the world gets the Oireland only version of "the show"

Paddy Power bets are on as to which one of the 4 will drop "the 10 minute vt 'd (voicetracked) into Zetta (playout system by RCS as used by all News UK stations) at 1pm on Bigears (Tubs) way out the door of a Friday" "return to the oirish airways" (*airwaves NK writers please note) the show.... love the show we missed you.... evidently not as much as the audience are missing their country n' oldies / sunday request / irish n oldies LIVE programming

It sounded last week like it had been done in around 10 or less minutes in a reckless rush for the lifts at News UK HQ. With evem less f***s given as to its content, prep or relevance to any human ear let alone Irish local radio listening ear.

Post edited by Enda Caldwell on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭TheBMG

you’ve done work with Virgin Radio recently @Enda Caldwell (genuine congrats for that).

Do you have any insight into what the ultimate game plan is or is that a fair question (I understand you may not be able to discuss or give away any trade secrets)

No idea, a lot of talk + conjecture.

What I'd suspect is that above the heads of station management a deal has been done and a big gamble has been taken. Rather like when Ray D'arcy was forced upon Today FM.... the Programme Director's hands were tied. Either that or he has some dirt on Evans? Or a third theory is the infamous €150k has "secured" the show and all the smoke + mirrors to accompany that.

A lot of hearsay, but the truth always comes out eventually.

Look at the lineups of Virgin, TalkSport, Talk TV + Times Radio - they are not the same as 6-12 months ago so there are super fast turnarounds of talent many on more short term "dont call us we'll call you" style freelance contracts. They are quite results and Rajar based and 3 bad books and you are out / banished to Late Nights or assigned "elsewhere".

Chris Evans is grand when his figures are going up but anyone or "the thing" contributing to a dip in those figures will be removed so fast their feet won't touch the ground as security remove it from News UK HQ.

In the end its Commercial Radio. Not RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Enda, did you write your own Wikipedia page?

---------------------------------

Warned: Off topic

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

Great interview with David McSavage on Tommy Tiernan. Joked that noise in the background was RT scrambling to get back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Dr Karl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Did somebody on this forum write that? Or was it Gift Grub?

Ticks so many boxes, mentions himself being called a legend, Beatles, photo with him posing with a book in an intellectual way, people recognising him, being showered with messages.

And written in the style of a 12 year old.

Remember, he was on over €500k per annum here, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭animalinside

There's no f---ing way. This can't be real.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Well, it really is true what they say, you just can’t keep a good man down.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

It is like one of those "What I did on my Summer holidays" school essays with a few name drops and mangled song names. "A rainy night in Soho" referenced as "a rainy day in Kilburn". I suppose that his fans will consider it to be a great literary work on the same level as those of Samuel Pepys. It isn't.

Best read on an empty stomach.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement