Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

0% vat sweetener and thousands of euro a year from government “ads” are keeping most established media afloat. Add in TV licence and the bailout RTÉ is getting.

You don’t bite the hand that feeds you. It’s a joke. Independent media my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Augme

No it won't. A small minority have been saying that for the last twenty years or so. The citizens of UK were stupid enough to belief they'd be better off out of the EU and to have "full control of their borders". How's that working out for them now? Once the UK left and everyone else has seen that they in the exact same position as they were before has made it fairly clearly that leaving the EU won't do ****.

In the last 5 years at total of 2,499 deportation orders were issued. Just over 600 were carried out. That leaves 1,800. Do you really think getting rid of those 1,800 people will solve the housing crisis, will wolve the issue with people trolley, will solve the crime problem, will solve the over subscribed classroom sizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

And deportation of any immigrants here illegally, convicted of serious crimes (maybe after serving a sentence) and serious review of benefits including housing if no employment is found after 24 months.

So do you see any point in issuing deportation orders when they are not carried out. All your showing here is that deportation is a joke In this country.

• Advertisement

Yes, of course. If they aren't issued the person is legally.allowed stay. That's certainly not going to improve the situation.

We see it being mentioned alot now about the holding centres that were supposed to of been put in place a good while back finally being built. O’GORMAN was actually told that hotels and b&bs were not an option. If this had of been put in place first I think it would of stopped alot of the trouble were seeing now. But only if immigrants were found to have no grounds to stay were not allowed in. As I said many times, the way our government has handled this is the reason for all the unrest we are seeing now. Please note Ukrainians are different because of the trouble in Ukraine and should be screened separately. But saying this proper screening should take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

Over the Christmas holidays we headed for the west coast as we have done on previous years. Its getting harder all the time to find budget friendly accommodation, such as bnb's and small hotels. I stayed in a bnb in a tourist town on the wild atlantic way last summer so i checked their website but they are not taking any bookings now. Drive around these towns and there are plenty of bnb's with the lights on but "no vacancies" signs outside.

If i was in that business, i might find it hard to resist the low hanging fruit the government are offering. But its having an effect on tourism and the cafes, pubs, restaurants, bike hire, boat hire etc. All the things that keep life in rural tourist areas. The war in Ukraine has stalled and could go on for years so permanent damage is being done to tourism. The government dont seem to consider the effects this is having on host communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LubaDriver

Not enough deportation orders are being issued. You know how the system works: you apply for asylum and 18 months later you are rejected. You then go on a further state sponsored appeal merry go round where delay and frustrate the process is order of the day. Suddenly six or so years go past and the State throws in the towel, you now have "ties to the community" and are granted permanent leave to remain.

You want to solve this problem, you fast track the first part, do away with the bullshit second part and thirdly enforce deportation orders.

Will this solve the various other crises afflicting the country? No, of course it won't, but it won't add to them either. More importantly, it demonstrates that this country won't be taken for fools like we have been.

I mean try and tell some of the cock and bull stories like what these lads are trying at the local welfare office and see how you get on. Try getting a €200 welfare payment that you are not entitled to and watch the State absolutely crush you. It's like we've been completely blinded to the reality that quite frankly large scale outright fraud is going on here and we are meant to be ok with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,488 ✭✭✭✭walshb

RTE have some “paid” asylum do gooder on now explaining why we have to adopt all these poor asylum seekers allegedly fleeing horrific circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

The government has had RTE over a barrell for years but even more so now. You have literally hundreds of people who will be out of work if the government pull the plug. When the government say jump the call from RTE is "how high".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Keep in mind too that legal migration from the EU was spun by Vote Leave and the right wing press as being a huge 'crisis' for the UK. It wasn't "unvetted males" that had them in a tizzy, but migrant workers from Europe wanting to move to Britain, work hard and pay taxes. Brexit was the end result of listening to the shameless grifters and bigots of the far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

... agree, but I'd say no more than 12 months. Without work, then lose benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 15,940 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Colm O'Mongain's show just now re migrants IMV completely misses the point.

I only listened to a bit of it, as I am sick of the bleeding heart propaganda that often comes out of motormouth O'Mongain.

We all know there are people fleeing awful things and all that, but the question is why HERE? I often wonder why so many of these people make a conscious decision to trek all the way to this outpost of Europe. That is the question that is never asked. Because we all know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

you are absolutely correct, the ‘old school’ type hotels across the regions are becoming scarcer and accommodation in general is becoming more expensive. In a lot of cases increased prosperity and rising consumer expectations for hotel accommodation and facilities has meant these places are struggling and finding it harder to complete, often against more modern facilities.

Clearly their owners are in business and it is increasingly difficult to ‘turn a shilling’ particularly in a short season. Add in the labour shortages (ironically from some foreign workers moving post Covid) impacting the hospitality sector and increased cost base it is no wonder they have opted for this opportunity to provide such accommodation. So we either subsidise these guys to stay as hotels underoccupied for long spells of the year or, while not ideal, do we allow them provide this emergency accommodation?

There is a local development piece there, no doubt, but the primary concern when you boil it down as I see it is the unwillingness of some communities to house black and brown men while their asylum application is being assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

This racism line in nonsense. No town would like an influx of young men who have no money, are not allowed to work and spend their days hanging around the streets with nothing to do. That is true regardless if the men are from Somalia, China, Dublin or Galway. Nothing to do with racism, it just turns towns into kips.

Re the change of use of many smaller hotels here towards migrant accommodation, I read something the other day about Tourism Ireland's new policy. Yes the drumbeats roll to counteract the complaints about tourism being affected by such closures. What is the policy you ask? Yep, attract the rich and abandon the budget traveller. I am not one bit surprised at this. It is merely saying it's ok to close down budget accommodation to facilitate IP and the like, because we will from now on only market Ireland to the "high end" overseas traveller. Says nothing about domestic tourism at all.

Isn't this unbelievable or is it just me who is thinking, aha follow the Government policy and all will be well tourism wise. I should be gobsmacked but it's hard to be shocked by much anymore.

New Tourism Ireland plan targets ‘higher-end’ overseas visitors – The Irish Times

Everyone country in Europe is taking in refugees, even random places like Iceland, Cyprus, Estonia and Malta. Why would Ireland be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Legal immigration, those here on work and "education" permits, is obviously putting a huge strain on accommodation and services.

This is a point being acknowledged in more and more surprising quarters. Mary Lou made the connection in an interview on Christmas Eve. There's an article in todays Indo where the writer almost inadvertently connects the two.

The government is bringing in changes to the offering being made to newly arrived Ukrainians (It doesn't seem to have crossed their mind how that immediately raises questions about the offering being made to Ukrainians already here.)

The same ones who had conniption fits at people chanting "Get them out" outside DP centres now seem to have no compunction about having refugees camp out in life threatening weather when it suits their purpose and sends a signal abroad.

The government are attempting to split off refugees from the general immigrant population in the public mind. If the numbers of refugees are small relative to the numbers of "good" immigrants then the immigration problem must be small. Let's see how that goes for them.

• Advertisement

Refugees are a separate issue, they are usually here under a program like the Ukrainians. The asylum seekers/economic migrants make a conscious decision to travel overland or by sea or be trafficked often without identification. I can see why places like Italy (Lampedusa etc.) and Spain attract economic migrants due to their proximity to North Africa. Those migrants tend to move on anyway further North to UK, Germany etc.

I can't see the attraction of Ireland myself, nor can I see it being an easy place to reach from places like Somalia. It baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LubaDriver

I wouldn't be drawing attention to grifters because they are not exclusive to the right. In fact we have many prominent pro migration ones that are regulars in media making good state sponsored coin from this **** show.

Well, Finland has taken in plenty of asylum seekers in the last few years. I have a friend who recently returned from there after two years who said she found it not an easy experience and the language extremely difficult - so if Finland is attracting refugees, it's hardly a surprise that an English speaking country like Ireland is also attracting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

How many over the last 30 years .

Removing 1800 people means 1800 who don't need accommodation, medical and school places,

it helps

Any idea of the nationality of these asylum seekers in Finland? I think it might be easier to go overland though rather than by sea to a place like Ireland. I am just making a reasonable point about migrant trails in general. We all know that AS are on the move but I find it hard to understand why AS from places like Zimbabwe and Nigeria etc. come to Ireland specifically. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

No, but it will slightly reduce the demand for accomm.

Also, and importantly, it will send a signal to other AS making bogus claims that we are not a soft-touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

The attraction Ireland has for IPAS people is how easy it is to get a work permit here.

You just have to hang on for six months.

If you haven't had a decision on your asylum application by then you get a work permit.

Average waiting time for an asylum decison in Ireland: 15 months.

On the other hand if you're from a recognised ‘safe country of origin’ it only takes 10 weeks for a decision (down from 17 to 24 months previously). But then there's your right of appeal.

Got talking to a few Sudanese about this outside the Red Cow. After bonding over General Gordon and the whirling dervishes they told me they could put up with conditions in the Red Cow because they only had to wait that long. Much easier and a safer bet than the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

The tourism industry is being dismantled. It is broadly being replaced by the asylum seeker industry. The rest is being carved up between a small number of rich people.

For instance, there is now large scale bussing of people from long distance to the cliffs of moher. The ciffs of moher is now run like and feels like a military camp for ruthlessly extracting money from people. Almost no benefit to the local area, they do not stay or eat in Clare outside of the tiny number of 'connected' locations. At its best, Clare was receiving tourists on a budget, but there were loads of them and they spent locally in a huge variety of businesses. Rich tourists will only benefit a tiny number of businesses, well connected cronies again.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Heard about a group of 7 in Killarney for new yrs,went into first pub and could get a table for the 7 no problems meal and all.in places like Killarney that was never possible before. The government attitude to tourism is too hell with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Glenomra

So so correct. The west of Clare had a disastrous tourist season. Hotels in Ballyvaughan and Lisdoonvarna given over to migrants and tourist shops closing or doing very poorly. Busses ferrying in visitors, mostly from Galway, some from Limerick. I hadn't identified it as official policy but maybe ...............................

Advertisement