Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

He's correct that it should interchange but if it's a choice between Tara St or the red line, Tara St wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I accept them changes but they seem more incremental than major.

By major I mean, new motorways, new train/tram lines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Ok so there's pages and pages of literature on the decision behind location of stations. And the argument for the current proposal was a clear winner for a number of reasons including alignment, constructability and utility. Is it a perfect solution, no, but it's the best solution thar can be practically achieved.

as other posters have pointed out perhaps in the future a system of underground walkways will be developed connecting O'Connell metro to clearys and easons basement, Abbey luas and Tara Metro/Dart like they have in Canada, when the area is revitalised. In the meantime a short walk above ground will have to suffice and will still offer an infinitely better service than what exists now

There are 3 mega projects for Dublin due to go to construction/enabling this year after years of work. The biggest period of construction of public transport infrastructure ever is to begin within 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

voting greem is essential, I dont care for these ignorant comments about Ryan and wanting to put a few cent on fuel etc! with a proper transport system, you will be able to leave your car at home potentially or not even need a car or second car in the household... I dont have much faith in any political party here, they are nimby , short sighted jokes. But the green movement is very important

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Coincidentally I watched a video by "Not Just Bikes" on youtube about Toronto this week and he basically slated those underground passages, saying that there purpose was to basically get people off the streets, so they could have more space for fast car traffic on the streets and it leads to killing the street space and shops above while leaving for a very poor user experience underground, very hard to find your way around, terrible for wheelchair users, anti social behaviour, shops all closed outside of office hours, etc.

Certainly did not looking inviting in his videos compared to nice walk-able European city streets.

Personally I'd fix it by just moving the Abbey Street Luas stop West, behind Anrotts.

• Reduce the distance to just 300 to 350 meters
    • More importantly, don't need to cross any O'Connell St or any roads, straight walk up the Western side of OCS, nice, very wide footpaths, past the GPO and Henry street, so lots of shops etc. to stop at. Could really help turn OCS into a nicer area, you could get greatly improved coffee shops, etc. between the two stops.
    • Puts people closer to Henry Street, which to be honest the majorty of folks using the Abbey Street stop are coming and going from.

Then I'd also move the Southern Green Luas line to OCS too, where it should have always been.

• Keeps the southern Green Luas stop within a short distance of the newly moved Abbey Street stop.
    • Also you would have a green line south bound station at upper OCS, within a few meters of the Metrolink stop. Rather then 250 meters away as it would be now if it remains at Marlborough St.
    • Lets be honest, most people using the Marlborough St stops are going to Henry Street, you now have brought them closer to their destination.

You would now have turned OCS into a great interchange between Red Line, Green Line and Metrolink (and of course buses too).

And it all could be done without being part of the Metrolink project or really delaying or impacting it and probably much cheaper then building a questionable underground connection.

As an aside, I'd keep the Luas lines on Marlborough St and actually also add North bound ones, so that the Luas could use that street as a diversion when parades, etc. are on OCS. Of course also leave buses use that street.

Basically start creating a real network effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What are the three?

Bus connects

metrolink

Dart +

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Another 12 months?

And I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭prunudo

Don't forget there was also 2 years of covid restrictions which resulted in both real delays and also a handy excuse for some people to drag their feet on getting reports or work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Brightlights66

Just as an example, anybody who travels on the S-bahn in Hamburg, heading north out of the main station on one of the lines, enters the next station (Jungfernstieg) which is south-west of the main station.

That's an S-Bahn, not a nippy little metro. Metros are often capable of making turns such as you might get at the top or bottom of Dawson Street.

On the basis of several instances of significant curvature on metro systems worldwide, it seems unlikely that it would be impossible to have a station at a decent location on O'Connell Street and a station at Tara Street.

More convincing information is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its not going to happen, accept it and move on. The plan and alignment is more or less set in stone. Its not a house renovation where you slightly move the location of a window and hope to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Dire enough that Official Ireland still feels the need to make excuses and long finger much needed infrastructure fifteen years on from ground zero in 2008

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

More convincing information is contained within the Metrolink docs that you still haven't read. In order to save on construction cost, Metrolink is going to use one large tunnel instead of two smaller tunnels. Because it needs a large tunnel diameter, one of the widest in the world, it uses a very large Tunnel Boring Machine. Because the TBM is so large, it has a very large turning circle, which ultimately leads to the choice between Tara St and O'Connell St interchange.

Hamburg S Bahn tunnels were built in a very different time, with very different methods. Using those methods today would indeed be possible, but would be costly. Metrolink was designed from the start to control costs. You can disagree with those decisions, and that's fair enough, there's elements of this plan that I don't like either, including the O'Connell Street stop location, but I do recognise that any project like this is a series of compromises to enable the entire project to be a success.

I would encourage you to read the docs provided on the Metrolink and the Metrolink Railway Order websites, they're actually interesting in places (and deathly boring in others).

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

Dublin Airport just announced on Facebook some fuzzy images of the new transportation center at Dublin Airport claiming it will be Metro-friendly or some other BS. 30 or so bus bays it looks the business for bus passengers anyway if they ever build it. Probably be the largest and most busy bus terminal in the country when up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,764 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Between the rows outside the carparks and area 16, it already is. Take a look on Bustimes or similar at how many vehicles are moving around, and remember it's only tracking some of the operators

DB, GAI, BE, aircoach, DX and citylink are tracking, JJK and Airport Hopper etc dont

Yes you are correct and if that Metro is built Dublin Airport will probably be the most busy public transport hub in the country. It will feed regional services into the Metro. A better location for this than Busaras due to motorways nearby.

Glasnevin will may well give it a run for its money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

Would hazard a guess that theres a chance Glasnevin would become the 3rd/2nd most used train station in the country.

• Advertisement

I suspect Tara's huge all day volume and Kent being the only station in it's city might get those two ahead of it, but yes - I don't think it'll be below third once transfer passengers are counted properly.

If Tara (rail) and Tara (metro) don't get counted as one they could be 1 and 2 on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

I think if there are Cork services from Glasnevin, maybe it could be boosted. I don't know whether they'll do that, maybe they're hoping Dart+ plugs that gap.

Equivalent-ish situations abroad wouldn't have direct Cork services, there would be a station somewhat outside the city (Kylemore maybe) where long distance trains stop to let you change over.

Yeah I was wondering about that if when Glasnevin is fully functional would Cork trains be run into North Wall via PPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I see in todays Business post they are running with Trinitys objections to the metrolink route . Its maybe time when it comes to vital national infastructure that no objections can be made due to the national interest and we as a state just build.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It would allow for a single transfer to Metrolink for the Airport, rather than two transfers if done outside the city. And it would potentially allow to integrate with the Belfast service. I think North Wall would also be a popular destination for many travelling from Cork, for example business travellers heading to the IFSC etc.

If Cork was to go to 30 minute frequency. Then you could alternate between Heuston Station and North Wall, each getting an hourly service.

Just an idea.

and the Luas at North Wall too. Would be a popular service no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

The plans for Spencer Dock Dart station only has 4 platforms, which will all be needed for Dart SW and Dart W. I think it's a missed opportunity, but don't see intercity trains ever heading to Spencer Dock.

Once Metro is opened, I think it's more likely that the majority of Dart W and SW trains will terminate at Spencer Dock, with passengers switching to Metro at Glasnevin. This would free up some capacity for Cork trains from Connolly, as well as keeping Belfast/Sligo trains in Connolly.

This is really a discussion for the Dart+ thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The plans for Spencer Dock are really quite incredible, this will be the largest new station built in Ireland in modern history I believe. Of course not a hope of IC services there. Just have an intermediate stop at the start of Dart west/southwest for IC services so people don't have to backtrack from town.

• Advertisement

They have form. Their pathetic attempted hatchet job on the Luas in 2004 comes immediately to mind.

Advertisement