Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on pinemartin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

I didn't mean tiny like a mouse, but they're tiny in terms of animals we should consider dangerous. Then again, plenty of eejits are afraid of mice or moths so human ability to reckon 'danger' might not be entirely trustworthy.

I grew up close to Lough Ree and we lost the odd hen to a mink. We used to hear them screeching at each other during the night, absolutely bloodcurdling sound. We found a dead one once, in the middle of an area a few metres in diameter where every blade of grass was torn up or flattened. Obviously an epic fight to the death had taken place. I was only about 8 at the time and for months I wouldn't let my dog (a bull terrier!) out of my sight in case he met the mink that had won the fight.

Later on this evening I'll fire up some old laptops and see if I can find the videos of some pinemartens I took a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'd love to see the videos/pictures. I've never managed to take photo's/videos of the pine martin, stoats or mink around the farm as they catch you by surprise and are gone in flash. A few years ago there was a pine martin living in the turf shed over winter and I would occasionally see it running along the wall plate and escaping out under the roof.

Well this is annoying.

I have tried three laptops, which meant digging out old chargers and trying to remember passwords. I only got one laptop working and that meant looking through numerous videos with numerical titles that revealed nothing about the contents. I dredged through an old external hard drive and got sidetracked by videos of my departed dogs.

All I have found are two snips from stills of one of the videos. I know there's a video of two pine martens in daylight but I have come to the conclusion that it's on one of the non-functioning laptops along with some lovely footage of foxes, badgers and a hedgehog. Very disappointing.

Tell you what though. I'm going to get back into things and start leaving cameras out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

So this has consumed my evening. I can't find the video the stills were taken from and I can't find the one in daylight but I found this clip of two martens either disagreeing or gettin' frisky.

Yeah. Can't upload videos.

I give up.

• Advertisement

OK. I kept looking. Found some daylight photos, taken with my phone instead of a trail camera. This was in 2015, I think, in Clare. There were two young pine martens messing around in the woods, not nearly as wary of people as they should have been.

Sorry, I don't know how to smallify the photos.

Advertisement