Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Are we still dealing with Dublin-junctions?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Has there been a slight route change to the 39A? Last night the Ongar bound bus exited for Blanchardstown SC at the newly redesigned Snugborough interchange and drove past the Liberty Insurance building to get to the SC instead of taking the usual exit further down by the Crowne Plaza. This seems better as the crow flies but I'd be concerned during peak traffic times as queuing for that exit is awful along with the slowest traffic light sequence in Dublin would add to peak journey times.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,858 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think the new Snugborough interchange will have bus lanes incorporated, and BusConnects will go that way, certainly inbound, but didn't think it was already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

The slip road into the centre via the crowne Plaza, has been closed for works the last few nights.

I was on a 39a the other night, and the driver wasn't told about the works. He had to drive up to the Ongar/littlepace slip road and back down to mulhuddart slip road and into the centre again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pale Red

That junction could, in my opinion, be greatly improved by only allowing right turn for those leaving the N3. You could then reduce the current five light change sequence to three. Sorry for going off topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

Should have been a Luas from the outset, E Spine also has crazy high frequencies when it barely manages every 10 minutes as it stand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Even luas rarely meets 3 minute frequency, chances of a bus on drumcondra road managing that is a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well perhaps you should look at the current off-peak weekday frequencies that the A Spine is replacing along Drumcondra Road:

Route 1 - 12 mins (5 buses per hour)

Route 13 - 12 mins (5 buses per hour)

Route 16 - 12 mins (5 buses per hour)

Route 41/b - 20 mins (3 buses per hour)

Route 44 - 60 mins (1 bus per hour)

Add in one of the two route 11 departures (the other will be replaced by the 19) and that's 20 buses per hour.

That's precisely what the E Spine is scheduled to deliver.

***I am treating route 22 as a replacement for the 41c and 33.

The E Spine, northside is replacing routes 4 and 155 and much of route 9:

Route 4 - 15 mins (4 buses per hour)

Route 9 - 15 mins (4 buses per hour)

Route 155 - 20 mins (3 buses per hour)

That's 11 buses per hour being replaced by 12, but it will also cover part of the 13 too along Ballymun Road. Clearly the hope is that the A3 will take more of the DCU students away from the E Spine.

Remember too that the 23 & 24 will offer an increase of 2 buses per hour over the 83/a along the inner part of that corridor from Botanic Road.

On the southside, the E Spine replaces routes 46a, 145 and 155.

Route 46a - 10 mins (6 buses per hour)

Route 145 - 15 mins (4 buses per hour)

Route 155 - 20 mins (3 buses per hour)

That's 13 buses per hour being replaced by 12 - a drop of 1 bus per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

The theoretical frequencies stated here aren't being met I think. Current frequencies are 1 bus per 10 minutes, of those 3 routes, rather than 5 minute frequency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I know a little off topic, but does anyone know what impact the constant saturday protests have on the bus network, considering Luas services are consistently cancelled through the day on Red and Green lines?

Its happened almost every saturday for months now, including today. Which means i drive into town now, rather than get the Luas.

Is it not possible for the city council to arrange protest routes that dont bring public transport to a halt every Saturday?

There must be impact to bus users also.

What routes are you referring to (northside or southside)?

There are cancelled departures across the entire network due to driver shortage, but that has improved since last year and it’s certainly not the same routes/departures every day.

I certainly do not believe that it is as bad as half the buses not showing up along either section as you suggest (caveat - today is not a good example to pick due to the protests which are causing major disruption).

Just to add an extra point:

The individual routes are not currently operating integrated schedules. This means you can have longer gaps and then buses coming together.

As part of BusConnects the schedules are planned to be integrated with one another.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

They are a major nuisance as they cause massive knock-on effects with subsequent buses having to be cancelled or curtailed due to drivers and buses being delayed.

Thanks.

Yes, I would have thought so.

There seems to be no end in sight to the protests and the Luas is basically not an option on saturdays anymore.

I dont understand why the council dont re-route the protests.

Well I think that the hardship that some of us have to put up with today in Dublin is insignificant compared to what the people in Gaza are enduring, which is what the thousands of people marching today are protesting about.

You also have the reality that if protests were moved to less visible locations, they’d not really have the same impact on the public consciousness.

The lack of a Metro in Dublin means that no matter what, protests will cause major problems. Today’s ended up at the Department of Foreign Affairs at St Stephen’s Green which meant far greater impact across the public transport network.

Yes, I dont dispute peoples right to protest.

But as its been almost every saturday for the last number of months and looks set to go on for many more, I would have thought the council might put some guard rails around the routes.

At the very least for the LUAS serivces as they obviously cant be redirected.

Well it is the Garda Síochána who are responsible for giving permission for protests, not the City Council.

Given most protests involve O'Connell Street and College Green, I'm not sure how you could stop the impact through the immediate city centre on the LUAS.

But it's very rare for the Green Line not to be able to operate from Brides Glen to St. Stephen's Green to be fair though. Today was exceptional due to the extended march route to St. Stephen's Green.

The Green line has been cancelled on quite a few saturdays from Beechwood into Stephens Green. Always due to the protests.

The Guards and the council could work in tandem?

Novel approach, I know...

I am surprised the city businesses arent lobbying for some controls also. Once its not Palestine, it will be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭john boye

Many people just don't go near town on Saturday now because of them. I would never bemoan anyone's right to protest but it must be really hurting footfall in shops in town on what is usually a busy shopping day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Obviously the theoretical frequencies aren't met, never have been even before staffing crisis. The evening rush can often see 15 minute gaps in service in drumcondra. 3 minutes is a non runner. The most frequent bus routes in the world can do frequency of 2 or 3 minutes on dedicated bus ways with no junctions for long stretches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Town was busy enough today. Well Henry St anyway. Not sure how much the protests really impact it.

Actually had more trouble with the road works at the Whitworth Road because of the works done for the cycle lane along the canal. Not bemoaning improved cycle infrastructure, but I'll be interesting to see the impact during morning rush hour for the new few weeks?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I’m not sure what you are taking about, but I’ve used the Swords Road bus services for the better part of 20 years and they absolutely run to a roughly 3 to 4 minute frequency!

Of course not a single route, but at stops closer to the city served by multiple routes they combine for that frequency.

15 minute wait! Honestly can’t think of a time that has happened, maybe all Ireland match days, but super rear to wait more than 5 minutes. Usually it is a case of walk up to the stop and wait maybe a minute or two.

It is why I can’t really complain about the bus service into town in my area, it is actually pretty excellent, frequent and pretty fast in.

It was just missing the 24/7 service and orbital routes. Well we have that now with the 41 and N4 and hopefully the N2 soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The protests in Dublin City Centre earlier today must have had a heavy impact for rugby fans who were going into to see Leinster's Champions Cup match at the Aviva this afternoon. If the fans were not living near the Dart to actually travel into the stadium; they would have to make their way to the stadium by bus instead.

For a lot of those fans today; a lot of those bus journeys to the Aviva would have made their way through the City Centre heading on into Lansdowne Road by bus or on the Dart. If a protest frequently takes place in the future around the weekends when the Irish Rugby team play at home at the Aviva during some of their matches in their Men's 6 Nations Campaign; you wouldn't be able to rely on a bus if large numbers of rugby crowds were heading into the stadium alongside you. If some of those kick-offs at the Aviva are taking place around lunchtime on a Saturday or Sunday at the same time when protests are kicking off in the City Centre; rugby fans, either Irish ones or not, are potentially going to be screwed by travelling to it either way.

The Gardai must have had a very busy day with a large number of their officers having to be split up and deployed in two places at once today with managing their jobs with the peaceful protest in the City Centre and with the rugby match taking place at the Aviva as well.

EDIT: There was about 100k people who attended today's protest in Dublin City Centre according to one of the threads about it on Reddit. I didn't attend the protest myself. But that figure is still a massive one to make an impact on bus services throughout the main centre of Dublin in a very significant way.

Post edited by dublinman1990 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Protests are now a regular Saturday event in Dublin. It would serve everyone well if we introduced special Saturday arrangements on days of protest where buses operated to a special temporary termini just outside the city centre. 

Everyone knows there’s a protest on, Gardai know the roads are closing and the route that’s being taken, yet no plans are made for the thousands of passengers effected. There were complaints on X of no service inbound on the N11 this afternoon for over an hour, with similar delays on routes in Dundrum and Tallaght. The 44 to Enniskerry which operates hourly was so delayed that the next bus was running 5 minutes behind. The disruption can last for hours after the protest is finished because buses and drivers are in the wrong location. It must be a headache for controllers.

It would be far better if buses operated short to places like Leeson Street, Merrion Square. Gardener Street, Cook Street, Parnell Square etc. between the hours of 1-3pm. That way we could continue with a service along the majority of the route. This arrangement is made when there is a parade or marathon etc. With the frequency of the protests I feel it’s time it was implemented on Saturday afternoons too. It would take a bit of planning for cross city routes, but it would serve the company well, remove buses sitting idle/unproductive for hours and allow thousands of people plan their journeys. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Thank god Just Stop Oil haven't taken off here as I believe they are holding London to a standstill

I see your point, but surely the answer is to manage the protest routes away from public transport hubs.

Address the problem, rather than making exception for it.

Its every Saturday now.

Turning a blind eye is discouraging users (me included) from choosing public transport and is hitting Dublin City retailers in the pocket.

We can very quickly turn the city centre into a no go zone, entirely due to accessibility.

And lets be honest. For what outcome?

Wait wouldn't you get caught up in the same traffic if you drove in. Personally I'd just be avoiding town altogether on days where there's protests unless I had to be there

You could rat run around it to a point, but yes, a lot of folks will just avoid town.

I agree.

Good news for car drivers and out of town shopping centres.

• Advertisement

I was only thinking the same myself - it would probably need them to draw up new rosters for protest days but at least then the service could be maintained with accurate RTPI.

The current situation suits no one.

Advertisement