Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I loved Spiderman remastered and Miles Morales. Bright, colourful, cheerful. The DC Batman games and spin offs look so dour.

Yes, I know at least one of them is supposed to be great. It's just the dark, dreary, art style gets to be me. It's what's stopping me playing Elden Ring too. And Hollow Knight was just too depressing to continue with. Fallout has the same effect on me.

That's why I can spend ages in BOTW/TOTK for example. It's like a tonic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not just the game really: DC has become paralysed by the idea that Batman can either be grimdark, or a loud parody and there's little middleground. We either get Matt Reeves egging Robert Parkinson to glower (or the entirety of Synder's over), or it's the Lego Batman movie.

Even though it kinda helped normalise our modern grim Batman trope, the 90s Animated Series still had a certain ... playfulness to its soul. It was dark, often mature for its target audience - but it also went all in on it's comic book energy.

I'd be the same TBH and those games had enough going on behind their eyes that I looked past the dour feel. TBH I just kinda laughed at Asylum, with its men all muscular glowering idiots, the women with hips you'd ski off; it was the right kind of stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Luna84

What about Oblivion? That has a mixture of dark and not dark game world.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps has a terribly tragic story and it's mostly set underground, but it is stunningly beautiful and beguiling. Absolutely amazing job they did there on so many levels.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Advertisement

Have not played Oblivion.

I love Skyrim and it's underground is quite bleak and sinister. But the detail on the items, and in 4K 60 FPS HDR it looks wonderful. And the overground + the music to return too, is just uplifting. And that's the vanilla special edition on Series X. Wonderful game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The tone of those games was nearly always undercut by the wonky animations - or a crazy stupid bug breaking the spell of the thing. Grata games but you had to shut off the part of your brain screaming about the obvious facade.

Still a great game for it's time.

Same as GTA San Andreas. Great game for it's time but play it now and you wonder what the hell was I thinking.

Fallout has the same effect on me.

With you mentioning Fallout I said I'd go back and play Fallout 3 and yes leaving the vault and seeing the waste land still has the same effect on you. It's amazing. I'm playing on Xbox SX and on my 4k OLED the game looks amazing. Graphics still look brilliant. I'm not sure if there was any enhancements done but it looks like it, looks to be in 4k anyway. To think I played it originally on a 720P Tv and thinking it looked great back then.

I'm not sure if I'm going to replay the whole game but I will play a bit of it anyway.

I've only played a few hours of Fallout 4. I believe 3 is a better game. There was supposed to be a current gen upgrade for 4, free, last year. But it never happened. Obviously they are waiting for the TV show to drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Subnautica: Below Zero is €9.89 on the **cough** MS Store: https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NDCJXL11096?ocid=pdpshare

Well, that's TOTK main game done. It's one of those games that when you finish it, you realise you won't see a game like that for a long time. Including BOTW and its DLC here too since they've pretty much said they've done all the can do with that incarnation of Zelda.

Also, a game that makes many games of it's type redundant. So, for 50 quid you get hours and hours of a great game and you save time and money not ever wanting to play a lesser game.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Did the air temple on this and was enjoying it TOTK, is it worth really getting into it I loved the mechanics but it wasn't grabbing me as much as BOTW. Just find it a bit samey.

Is it worth giving it another go?

Back in the day, this was as good as Open World could get given the technology; unfortunately there's an argument that the genre has moved on while Bethesda are still peddling the same flavour 20 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I had no interest in this so wasn't on my radar. Have yet to try the demo but saw a YouTuber say that as a metroidvania, it's up there with Hollow Knight, which is pretty high praise, so checked out a couple of reviews and it actually looks really good. Not sure on Hollow Knight level but good enough for me to want to buy it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Was extremely trepidacious about it myself. Looked cool but could be style over Ubisoft-substance. But from all the previews, demo and reviews.... really seems like they nailed it. I'll definitely be giving it a go.

I played the demo and it was absolutely rock-solid, top tier Metroidvania; I'm a little leery on the price (€50, I'm stingy) but just playing the thing revealed its quality. The platforming was great, the fighting mechanics super fun. It actually reminded me that once upon a time, Ubisoft made good videogames.

For me it was worth it. A lot of excellent and varied content in there. Also, I played it much like BOTW, and didn't build much or spend that much time in the Depths. Still have a load to do in the game. Must check how much time I spent on it and what % completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I also love the map from The Lost Crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭McFly85

I know Nintendo have said they will keep their open world, non-linear approach for Zelda for the foreseeable future, but one thing I’d love to see them bend that rule for are main dungeons.

Those areas are the weakest across all Zelda games in BotW/TotK imo - the benefit of designing dungeons knowing exactly what abilities the player will have outweighs the cost of having to have them completed in a linear fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I've become a right nervous nelly in my older years. I remember playing Dead Space in my late teens and while getting jump scared, it was still fun.

Playing the remake in my mid 30s (Fùck sake...) and I'm a nervous wreck at every combat encounter, every creak of the ship and scuttle of a necromorph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

I think thats why your positivity for it still shines through, as wonderful as both games are when your are trudging round the depths in TOTK it gets as tedious as any open world game out there and also having the same variants of boss gets really tiresome.

I was delighted to just get it done by the time the credits rolled and unlike BOTW I cant see myself returning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Embrace it and join us folks who play peggle these days instead :D

Yep, the Depths were interesting for a short while and then tedious. The caves and wells are much more interesting underground experiences. Anyway, just checked my stats on it. 47% done. 117 hours. Will probably do most of the side quests over the next year and be done with it. They are all quite varied and little copy/paste stuff.

Just looking at the credits last night, there were just 4 physics programmers. Unreal. Tons of landscape designers, which shows, as the landscape are genuinely interesting to explore, and tons of testers and QA, which also shows in the final super polished bug free game.

Metroid Dredd or Prime next, that is the question. 😁

Mario Wonder really shining with this LED light set up I picked up on sale on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I know games are pushing the boundaries on realistic graphics constantly but there is something heartwarming with the colours of a nintendo first party game

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've been tempted by this, but I hear these yokes introduce some lag while gaming? Was looking at the Govee but reviews for gaming ain't great.

Haven't had an issue with mine tbh. Now that being said I got them on black Friday don't think they are worth full whack.

Mine are only the govee t1 as well so prob better out there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just a PSA not to sleep on the System Shock remake. It's wonderful. Only played a couple of hours today but it's so good. Its very faithful to the incredible original while bringing it bang up to date. Hopefully it hits consoles soon.

Also forgot Sephiroth, SHODAN is the best videogame bad guy.

Advertisement